New regulations for LiFePo4 batteries.

Graham Jones

Australian member
T6 Guru
Since last November, Australia has bought in new regulations in regards to the installation of LiFePo4 batteries in Campervans and Caravans .
They now cannot be located in a habitable area, ie. caravan or campervan, unless it placed in a sealed enclosure, or the installation location is sealed off from the habitable area and vented off to the outside.
Luckily for me and others, the regulations are not retrospective, so I don't lose any space, but the newer conversions definitely have lost a lot of space.
Just wondering if the same regulations have been mooted over in UK.
Cheers.

Not heard of that, but if it happened I’d fit mine in the void underneath the van so it was outside.

Since last November, Australia has bought in new regulations in regards to the installation of LiFePo4 batteries in Campervans and Caravans .
They now cannot be located in a habitable area, ie. caravan or campervan, unless it placed in a sealed enclosure, or the installation location is sealed off from the habitable area and vented off to the outside.
Luckily for me and others, the regulations are not retrospective, so I don't lose any space, but the newer conversions definitely have lost a lot of space.
Just wondering if the same regulations have been mooted over in UK.
Cheers.
Got a link to this AUZ new regulation?

SLA batterys need to be vented externally as they gas when charging it discharging. (Some AGMs have pressure valves)

Not seen anything in the UK about it in a caravan.

But there are new regs in the UK about domestic lithium not being in habitable spaces.

SLA batterys need to be vented externally as they gas when charging it discharging. (Some AGMs have pressure valves)

But there are new regs in the UK about domestic

But there are new regs in the UK about domestic lithium not being in habitable spaces.
Sorry for delay...not too smart with links etc.

Reactions: CAB
It's a curious one because my first thought was it's the regs catching up with older lithium chemistry and being about fire enclosures - but it seems mostly about venting and I wasn't aware there was much in Lithium chemistry Vs the very definite venting in Lead Acid chemistry.

As far as I'm aware most of the literature to do with lithium venting/ventilation is about reducing the heat of potential thermal runaway and releasing gross internal pressure build up to moderate the impact of it happens.

Anyone got any links to any literature that says otherwise during general charging and use?

Given the currents now involved I can see some regulations as positive, it's too easy to fall into "battery/DC == inherently safe" which is a dangerous misconception with a couple of hundred amps washing around chargers and inverters.

Interesting read! Not seen this here, but if it did come in then probably boxing in the top of the seat base, and drilling a drop out vent would do the job.

This has some logic to it as a LiFePO4 battery that fails catastrophically and reaches thermal runaway temperature (very rare but it does happen) is unlikely to go up in flames but can spit out a lot of pretty nasty fumes and smoke - venting to the outside would therefore prevent these fumes from filling up the living space of the van.

I very much doubt this will be copied in the UK however, Australia is notoriously twitchy when it comes to electrical regulations and this seems way over the top. Companies like Safiery have introduced sodium batteries alongside their LiFePO4 range to provide more choice to Aussie consumers but I’m still not convinced by sodium, the voltage range makes it a lot less practical. Lithium is still the best option, just make sure you buy from a reputable manufacturer that guarantees the quality of their cells.

Back