Roamer LiFePO4 Gen4 230Ah Seatbase battery -- "How I Done It" --

the battery size is the same as the Gen2 and Gen3.

see here:

Gen2

1724666163665.png

Gen2-V2

1724666297812.png

lll

Gen3

1724666534290.png

Gen4

1724666643271.png

Thanks to you Lee for a very comprehensive post!

A couple of in-progress install pictures Roamer 230 SB4.... recent installation... This install is in a 2022 T6.1 T30 Highline, it was originally a Hillside conversion.

It is a bit tight and work is needed to relocate some original fitments to make it fit.... but as you can see, it fits and is very tidy. One other thing that I think is neat is that the battery has a built-in isolation switch.... the orange button next to the live terminal. That does away with the need to fit an additional switch!

My installation was completed by Olie at Hythe Auto Electrics.

The last picture shows the original AGM setup...

More pictures here:

Image.jpegImage 2.jpegImage 1.jpeg

Image 10.jpeg

Last edited:
How long do you think it would take to charge a 230ah battery on just a split charge system?
Depends on lots of factors - alternator size, whether it’s smart or standard, regulation, cable size etc. I wouldn’t recommend using a split charger with a lithium battery personally - the battery is totally fine but there are too many variables and there’s a risk of overloading the alternator. Better to fit a DCDC charger, the new Victron Orion XS 50A is perfect for most people and will charge the battery from 0 to 100% in 5 hours of driving

Depends on lots of factors - alternator size, whether it’s smart or standard, regulation, cable size etc. I wouldn’t recommend using a split charger with a lithium battery personally - the battery is totally fine but there are too many variables and there’s a risk of overloading the alternator. Better to fit a DCDC charger, the new Victron Orion XS 50A is perfect for most people and will charge the battery from 0 to 100% in 5 hours of driving
Sorry I meant the victron orion-tr smart...just getting to grips with the correct terminology. But if the orion xs is the best for charging the roamer battery then I'd easy go down that route. Thanks for that

How long do you think it would take to charge a 230ah battery on just a split charge system?
Split charge relay is 100% not recommended as your will cook your alternator.

But I see you corrected the post below.

You mentioned a Victron charger with lifepo4 profile, which is fine.

Sorry I meant the victron orion-tr smart...just getting to grips with the correct terminology. But if the orion xs is the best for charging the roamer battery then I'd easy go down that route. Thanks for that
Either the Orion Tr-Smart (30A) or Orion XS (50A) are fine. The XS is just a better product, its smaller, lighter, more powerful and has better controls in the app.

Either the Orion Tr-Smart (30A) or Orion XS (50A) are fine. The XS is just a better product, its smaller, lighter, more powerful and has better controls in the app.
No that's completely fine and great help. Looking on the roamer website a see ita on sale at £799 is there any forum discount on top of that by any chance

I'm running the Victron Orion XS DC-DC charger on both vans now.. (with the 230ah seat base battery)

I normally set the current limiter to 30A to keep the temps down.

Last week though we had a long camping trip and run the battery flat, well down to 6%. And had a 2.5hr drive to the next location.

So I tweeked the XS to a 50A setting... Ironically it was the hottest day of the year... And we have the over temp alarm from the xs.

No issues as it just rolled back the power to drop the temps....

But something to consider when pushing chargers hard.

It's always best to not run chargers hard at 100% for long times ... And much better to run them 50-70% rated power.

Screenshot_20240812_153834.jpgScreenshot_20240812_153808.jpgScreenshot_20240812_153742.jpg

No that's completely fine and great help. Looking on the roamer website a see ita on sale at £799 is there any forum discount on top of that by any chance
Follow the forum link below...the forum discount is automatically applied at checkout.

Get in quick while the summer sale sock lasts.

Screenshot_20240826_124526_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Has anybody fitted a Renology 50amp dc/dc charger next to one of these? I had intended to order one but figured I’d wait till I’d got the battery. Now not sure it’ll fit and even if it does sounds like it will run hot as hell under there crammed down the side of the battery. There is space down both sides as I’ve kept it quite simple and neat but even still can’t see it fitting?

Has anybody fitted a Renology 50amp dc/dc charger next to one of these? I had intended to order one but figured I’d wait till I’d got the battery. Now not sure it’ll fit and even if it does sounds like it will run hot as hell under there crammed down the side of the battery. There is space down both sides as I’ve kept it quite simple and neat but even still can’t see it fitting?
the newer IP67 version is small enough to fit, and has built in BT + App.

1724740282074.png1724740292997.png1724740318209.png

or you can buy my REDARC BCDC1250D

1724740385139.png1724740408071.png

Just bought a gen 2 and a DC-DC charger

Numb question - what type of cable do I need to use to connect this all together

Currently have the factory fit leisure battery in a 2019 highline Which it needed for the diesel heater

Just bought a gen 2 and a DC-DC charger

Numb question - what type of cable do I need to use to connect this all together

Currently have the factory fit leisure battery in a 2019 highline Which it needed for the diesel heater
Post some pictures of your battery and your charger, so that weekend see what rating they are. Also post some pictures of your existing setup and any markings on the cable that's running your existing battery.

Back