Oil Change recommendations - Dealer or Indy? Leicestershire / Warwickshire

There are two service options so it depends how the van was programmed at the factory to be ie 1 year or 2 year servicing, either is acceptable and if its been set to one year you can go to your dealer and ask them to change it to two year intervals, thats what i did (but i do a 12 month oil change myself in between)
I must admit I was not happy with a 2 years service option so pleased to have my oil and filter changed anyway :thumbsup:

Get a good converter to work his magic, the result will be better than any Cali.
I was booked in to visit Exploria to look at having it converted, but decided that I am handing it back after 3 years when pcp ends. Worry about the Diesel effect on future values.

hi they told me at vw its 0ne year or up to 20.000 miles then two years up to 40.000 miles mine ad done 45.000 miles just inside the two years they kinda told me its now 6.000 miles over and they used the wrong oil 5w/30 done by a private garage vat registered etc by previous owner vw are saying the engine and turbo etc is not covered as there used the wrong engine oil personally I think its just another excuse to void the warranty .yet wen I do a search for vw t6 oil 5w/30 comes up

Get a copy of the test report and get it tested yourself. It has to be VW 507 spec not just a 5W/30. If the wrong oil has been used you won't have a leg to stand on with VW and will have to seek civil action for damages against the garage. You only have to prove on the balance of probabilities that the garage used to correct oil.

Do you have PROOF that it was serviced correctly and in time? The services are not fixed at 20k, it's variable and going over by more than 10% of mileage over the specified service or by a calendar month will also nullify your warranty.

Get a copy of the test report and get it tested yourself. It has to be VW 507 spec not just a 5W/30. If the wrong oil has been used you won't have a leg to stand on with VW and will have to seek civil action for damages against the garage. You only have to prove on the balance of probabilities that the garage used to correct oil.

Do you have PROOF that it was serviced correctly and in time? The services are not fixed at 20k, it's variable and going over by more than 10% of mileage over the specified service or by a calendar month will also nullify your warranty.

thank you for the advice the van was first registered on 29th march 2018.the first service was done on the 9/11/18 at 19.857 miles by vw in Camberley ,then a second service looks like just a oil change was done on 25/10/19 at 45,857 miles at a garage in Southampton for oil/filter change for total of £91 pounds includeing vat using 5w/30 c3 fullysyn 199l when I phoned vw she said your now 6.000 miles over and the garage have used the wrong oil making any warttenty on the engine /turbo etc void but the rest of the van is still ok.i was going to get another service done by them they wanted 360 plus vat just to try put everything right but theres no point if they have voided the rest of the warranty .I rang the garage that done the service asked them about the oil they said they used the correct oil I said why did you not do the air/pollen filter they said we only change them if they need changing and was asked only to do a oil change ,so it seems I cant win I always thought it was 100.000 miles or 3 years on a new motor how are you surpose to get to 100.00 miles when vw told me it was 20. for fist year/service and 40.000 miles for 2nd year .in my eyes the first service was done 4 months early and 2nd service was done 4 months early theres still 2 months to go on the 2nd service unless the miles comes in to play .the van as now done 46.578 miles ,sorry to sound/be a boreing old fart I did want to try keep the warranty up ,thanks for anyone viewing

I put my reg into Opie Oils search box and it came back with a choice of 15 different oils, all 5W-30, all ACEA-C3, all to VW 507.00 specification.
What EXACT oil did your garage put in (Make & Model)?
https://www.opieoils.co.uk/f/2354/30218/2017/engine-oil.aspx

@t6 steve The exact oil should be on your invoice.

You need to disprove what VW are saying. You NEED a copy of that report, not what the service desk assistant is telling you. Can you prove what VW told you, as they will tell you it's laid out in the warranty conditions, but sitting on the fence 26k miles between services is not looking positive.

Edit: A quick search online shows that some C3 spec oil comes up as 505.01 (PD) oil.
If the C3 is low SAPs (which is what 507 is) then you could argue it is like for like when you show them the oil spec used, your difficulty comes with the mileage. You must have had dash reminder? @Dellmassive or other in the know person might be able to verify if these are warnings are recorded and stored by the ECU?

Last edited:
The mileage/time service interval tends to favour the mileage, ie if you do 20,000 inside 12months you should get it serviced based on the mileage, if it does 8,000 miles in the 12months you should service it at the 12 months rather than now wait for the 20,000 mile marker to be reached.
It's a world wide issue that is written in all service schedules "whichever comes first"

@t6 steve - I've just seen you've posted this same query on a few different threads. Where did you buy the van from and was it sold as having a full service history? - you might have a course of action with that organisation. Can you take a photo of the last service receipt too so I can see exactly what was done too please.

hi every one and thanks for the replies .I bought the van from ebay from a company that were selling a couple of there own fleet vans they been using to deliver there own goods but it was advertised with full service history I bought the on the 10/11/19 so both services ad been done and I ad two receipts for two services at that time the van ad covered 46.000 miles .I did not think nothing of checking anything because iv never owned a motor less than about 4 years old so I don't understand anything about warranty it was only the fact that I joined the t6 forum that I started learning more then the moll battery saga came up then one thing led to another then I rang up vw she said its been serviced by us it needs doing again I did not mention the 2nd service ad been done asked her how much said it was 360 plus vat I said il think on it .then about ten days later I rang vw up again they never asked for the registration this time so I explained van ad been serviced with them at 20.00 miles then at another garage at 45.000 odd miles then she said its 6000 miles over 2nd service asked wat oil they ad used I told her she said there used the wrong oil so with the oil and 6.000 miles over anything to do with the warranty reguards the engine is void but the rest van is covered ,the problem seems to lie with the company I bought it from for letting it over run but as there not a garage cant see me getting anywhere ,think il just have to hope nothing goes wrong in mean time on the engine and just get it serviced again as and wen I only do about 5/6.000 miles a year so I thought id bring it back in line in next few years theres no point in me paying 400 odd for a vw service as its not going to help me in any way I can buy oil etc kit for about 120 just pay the labour ,but I still cant work out that its 20 then 40/ then is it 60.000 miles in the last year how else are you surpose to get to 100.000 miles within the 3 years of the warranty ,the oil the garage used just says 5w/30 c3 fullysyn 199l wat ever that means .seems to me its plobley ok to use that oil but vw want you to use there oils to find any excuse to get out of anything .I know its gone 6.000 miles over of no fault of mine but its also gone in twice close on 4 months before services were due so bit stuck on it just have to hope nothing goes wrong in next 13 odd months lol but thank you everyone that's took time out to read and reply to my add .thank you

@t6 steve - I've just seen you've posted this same query on a few different threads. Where did you buy the van from and was it sold as having a full service history? - you might have a course of action with that organisation. Can you take a photo of the last service receipt too so I can see exactly what was done too please.
The mileage/time service interval tends to favour the mileage, ie if you do 20,000 inside 12months you should get it serviced based on the mileage, if it does 8,000 miles in the 12months you should service it at the 12 months rather than now wait for the 20,000 mile marker to be reached.
It's a world wide issue that is written in all service schedules "whichever comes first"

it also seems that regards the oil they put in right or wrong the miles its gone over is enough to void anything so seems like they can blame any of those two problems. a no win situation .thanks stevde

hi and thanks heres a picture of the last service done thanks again steve

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2370.JPG

I suspect the 199L is reference to the 199 Litre drum that the oil came in.
If I were you, I'd just do another oil & filter change, using a correct or better spec oil than the standard (I used Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30 in mine) and call it done.

Ref above it's a standard 199 litre drum of oil that the garage will use and there is a very good chance it is VW 507 spec but the real issue is the mileage. I'm no expert on what comeback you can get from ebay, but if it was advertised as full service history, then you have been misled on that. Unless you got it for an absolute bargain then its worth a conversation with Citizens Advice for any suggestions on what you can do should you wish to pursue.

On a positive note, it's unlikely you'd need the VW warranty.

hi and thanks again yea im thinking the same get another service using correct oil filters etc that way then its done for another year and forget the warranty unless I need it for something else like the moll battery lol should not need anything but you never know so yea I thought that might have to be the way ,thanks to everyone that's replied/read

Back