Oil level too high warning… AGAIN

Get yourself three small bottles. Fill one with new oil, one with old oil, and one with fuel. Then sniff your dipstick and compare. You'll very quickly know if fuel is washing into the oil in the engine internally.

Get yourself three small bottles. Fill one with new oil, one with old oil, and one with fuel. Then sniff your dipstick and compare. You'll very quickly know if fuel is washing into the oil in the engine internally.
I’m going to ask for a sample of my oil when I take mine back in

Knowing a few software engineers like I do, the first software is released incomplete. The customer beta tests the software and sends feedback which the softies then use to 'complete' the program. But they inadvertently introduce bugs with the new release. The third release is to make a very minor tweak after long term testing and to fix their initial bugs in the second release. The fourth release is to make a miniscule feature tweak and fix the bugs introduced in the third release. The fifth release is to fix new bugs introduced in the fourth release.... You get the picture?

I make no apologies to any softies out there!

Knowing a few software engineers like I do, the first software is released incomplete. The customer beta tests the software and sends feedback which the softies then use to 'complete' the program. But they inadvertently introduce bugs with the new release. The third release is to make a very minor tweak after long term testing and to fix their initial bugs in the second release. The fourth release is to make a miniscule feature tweak and fix the bugs introduced in the third release. The fifth release is to fix new bugs introduced in the fourth release.... You get the picture?

I make no apologies to any softies out there!

And I'm guessing that 90% or more is about emissions / DPF / Adblue / EGR valve etc.

So between 7th April and now, did you have the oil level reduced to the correct amount? And if so has the light remained off
I haven’t been back to vw yet.
I had the AA out / vw assistance during Easter half term and they said it’s fine.
Book it in to vw .
I’m due to go to vw on 29th may

Just had this issue when hot the oil on dipstick is around 15mm over the max. Straight to dealer and was sorted straight away they mention about a software issue that need sorting

Just had this issue when hot the oil on dipstick is around 15mm over the max. Straight to dealer and was sorted straight away they mention about a software issue that need sorting
I’ve had the software update , but mine. Came on again and they think it’s due to the regeneration and short journeys .
They gave me a free oil change and asked to keep An eye on it

I've had my 22 plate T6.1 campervan since April, bought from the convertors with only a few miles on it. It has now done 6000 mies, and the oil level warning came on today, while driving round the North of Scotland (why is it always there when things happen?). The oil level is not high, so is it reasonable to presume that this is due to a software issue, and less on the other explanations offered by contributors? I will need to drive another 170 miles tomorrow to get home before I can get it checked.

Not related to VW but a similar story...
We used to own a Ford Focus ST170 and took it back to the dealer for a scheduled service. After receiving the car back I could smell oil burning and on investigation there was a lot of oil mist around the engine and I could see smoke coming off the exhaust.
I checked the dipstick and couldn't see any line at all so I added a litre that we kept in the boot and carefully took it back to the garage for investigation.
It turned out that there was no visible line on the dipstick because it was so overfilled it was off the scale. Obviously my additional litre didn't help but it was way over!
Typically they tried to fob me off but luckily we knew someone in the company who managed to square things up. They changed a few blown seals out of "courtesy" but never actually admitted the mistake.
The automatic refill machine probably causes quite a few issues...

I've had my 22 plate T6.1 campervan since April, bought from the convertors with only a few miles on it. It has now done 6000 mies, and the oil level warning came on today, while driving round the North of Scotland (why is it always there when things happen?). The oil level is not high, so is it reasonable to presume that this is due to a software issue, and less on the other explanations offered by contributors? I will need to drive another 170 miles tomorrow to get home before I can get it checked.
The oil level warning dd not alarm on starting this morning, and I made it two thirds of the way home before it occurred again. It seems random, but will get it checked,

2022 VW 150PS DSG T30 Hillside. Apologies for long post, in advance!

I had the dash warning of oil overfill a couple of weeks ago after covering about 100 miles journey. Within a half hour of receiving the warning my specified VW service centre telephoned me to say they had been notified of the oil warning. It was booked in for inspection, later that same week. I was quite impressed that the issue had been reported to my service centre, automatically. The dash warning is cancelled after opening the bonnet, until another <100> miles is completed, then it pops up again on the dash.

Meanwhile, I did a bit of research online and discovered various threads and videos about the same issues. The general consensus being to fill only to a halfway point up the dipstick hashed area, to allow for expansion. To also check that all updates had been installed regarding the oil warning/oil levels overfill.

I visited the service centre and discussed at length, the issue. Service centre were really helpful. We decided that as the next oil change service was due in a couple months, to carry out the service a bit early, thus replacing the oil and filter with new, to eliminate the possible oil dilution with diesel fuel during regeneration (I was told that VW would not cover the cost of oil replacement). I also requested the service centre to fill only halfway up the hashed area of the dipstick, which they did. I bought a litre bottle of the correct oil and placed the bottle in the door pocket, to use in case I needed it. This seemed to be in line with what I had read and had been advised online. I intended to check the oil cold and hot, more frequently.

(Regarding DPF regeneration, it is a shame that there is no visible warning of it actually taking place, although this is being addressed by VW on newer models in time, apparently).

The service was completed and I naturally assumed the problem had been resolved. No such luck I am afraid! Same warning appeared yesterday after a <70> mile run. The van is booked in later this week for investigation. The garage assured me that all necessary updates had been completed, the service had been completed as specified. They will be investigating with VW technical services what is happening/how to resolve the issue.

I have done all I can do, it is now down to VW to sort..... will update this post later, after the inspection on Thursday of this week, though I will have to complete another few miles to see if the issue pops up again!

Regards, J.

Edit...

Further to my post above, the van went in today (Thursday 7th March 2024) to be inspected and the Oil Overfill issue (hopefully) resolved. VW Technical Services advised the service centre to fully drain all oil out of the engine and turn on the ignition for a half hour. Then, refill the oil and this will have hopefully reset the oil level. Additionally the van was checked as having all necessary software updates installed..... They had been.

Time will tell if the fix has been successful..... another 100 or so miles, without opening the bonnet, should be the test.

Last edited:
I had an “oil level too high warning “ over a year ago now, went in to VW to get the software update required and it’s been great ever since.
On my way to Scotland this week on the motorway it came On again.

I see a lot of people on here have had similar issues, if my software is up to date , what else could it be?

My van is still under warranty until November .

Thanks in advance
Well worth a watch...

I had my T6 service October last year and had no problems and been driven all around the lakes and been back and forth to my office over 150miles away without an issue then yesterday I had the same waring the van has only done 22500 miles and runs sweet for a 2019 T6
on the way down it was where the M6 incline on the way to Birmingham around Stafford then the same on the way back as it inlines on the way back around the M58 junction I only mentioned this as seemed coincidental on when the warning kicked in also it was quite warm yesterday and the oil level looks fine to me and not been an issue till yesterday!

I had my T6 service October last year and had no problems and been driven all around the lakes and been back and forth to my office over 150miles away without an issue then yesterday I had the same waring the van has only done 22500 miles and runs sweet for a 2019 T6
on the way down it was where the M6 incline on the way to Birmingham around Stafford then the same on the way back as it inlines on the way back around the M58 junction I only mentioned this as seemed coincidental on when the warning kicked in also it was quite warm yesterday and the oil level looks fine to me and not been an issue till yesterday!
Apparently, if you open the bonnet, the error will reset itself while it checks for another 200 miles. And then if it detects it, again, will throw the error again.

The theory is if the engine is turned off mid DPF regen (idling at 1000rpm is a key telltale), diesel that is injected into the exhaust stroke (to burn the soot off in the DPF) finds its way back into the engine oil, and triggers the sensors.

It seems sensors are also such that they will not detect a small change in oil level so even an oil change will not be enough to get rid of the message necessarily.

This is my source for knowledge on this topic... https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...wqsBegQIDRAE&usg=AOvVaw2ezd9e-RHTzQ-qDUL1bnRu Seems credible...

So was wondering if some engines have this Regen issue and others do not, there must be a fix i assume? If so what is it?

Back