Operation B14 has commenced

What shocks do you have Montecha ? Zaff at CV told me the race line shocks and dampers are B14's just not adjustable he said the b14's are more for race set as people lower to 60 mm
I'm so confused just don't want to waste my money if people say hands down go b14's then the extra cost is not an issue , it's a family bus carrying 2 baby's and ride quality is my concern don't want them to be bouncing about in there car seats
Thanks

I have the 'Race Line' Bilsteins with Eibach -50mm.

A few issues to flag.

Customvanz will tell you that you don't need a wheel alignment done - You do!

They will tell you it rides like a BMW - it isn't !

They will say that the rear sits 'just a bit higher' - it's 15mm which is fine for load carrying not as an everyday drive.

They will tell you that they have 'developed' the kit - it's to their tatste.

Please beware!

I have spoken to the Bilstein Techs in UK and Germany and yes the rear dampers are the same, fronts are different. I bought the rear B14 springs, as I think the back is the problem, to try and fix the comfort without throwing too much more £'a at it. Haven't had the time to fit them yet.

I have driven the van like this for 5 months - IMHO the ride comfort is awful, I have a teenage family but I definitely wouldn't be happy with small children being bounced around by the ride.

I have the 'Race Line' Bilsteins with Eibach -50mm.

A few issues to flag.

Customvanz will tell you that you don't need a wheel alignment done - You do!

They will tell you it rides like a BMW - it isn't !

They will say that the rear sits 'just a bit higher' - it's 15mm which is fine for load carrying not as an everyday drive.

They will tell you that they have 'developed' the kit - it's to their tatste.

Please beware!

I have spoken to the Bilstein Techs in UK and Germany and yes the rear dampers are the same, fronts are different. I bought the rear B14 springs, as I think the back is the problem, to try and fix the comfort without throwing too much more £'a at it. Haven't had the time to fit them yet.

I have driven the van like this for 5 months - IMHO the ride comfort is awful, I have a teenage family but I definitely wouldn't be happy with small children being bounced around by the ride.

I really just hope that I'm not wasting £1200
I only want a 30mm extra drop and was going to have the VW sport line springs fitted but everybody and his dog said they where horrible ride and "crashy" keeps coming up
At the end of the day it is a VW Van not a 911 or a Bentley and probably we are thinking that's what we should be getting by changing springs and shocks !!
It does roll a little but not a bad ride I just want it a little lower for looks !!!!

Reactions: DPS
Sorry to read that @andys, have you considered putting uprated Anti-roll bars in? Maybe that will give you the difference that you feel you are missing. I know Studleyglass has fitted both the B14's and ARB's so maybe discuss with him???

Edit, just got to the end of the thread and seen others have suggested the ARB's. Dog, should have read to the end before putting up my comment.

Sorry to read that @andys, have you considered putting uprated Anti-roll bars in? Maybe that will give you the difference that you feel you are missing. I know Studleyglass has fitted both the B14's and ARB's so maybe discuss with him???

Edit, just got to the end of the thread and seen others have suggested the ARB's. Dog, should have read to the end before putting up my comment.
Thanks, yeah I'm going to try further lowering before going to any more expense but if not I'll go down that route

The roll bars are a great addition to the B14's - We've fitted a couple of sets this week.

Obviously there is less body roll, the steering feels lighter, and sharper, and the rear end feels much better tied into the vehicle. It has taken the vehicle to another level, driving and handling wise. We will be offering this on all B14 kits we do from now on.

Hi Guys
Need a little bit of advice.
I was over at Vanstyle yesterday having some DRL fitted to my T6 204 DSG,i have it booked in for B14 suspension soon but was warned by their fitter that due to the front end weight of the BITurbo DSG models the tyres could rub????

When it goes in for fitting i'll be running Axe EX 30 20" wheels with 255x34x20 tyres.The wheels have an offset of 40.

Has anyone else come across this issue ??

Hi Guys
Need a little bit of advice.
I was over at Vanstyle yesterday having some DRL fitted to my T6 204 DSG,i have it booked in for B14 suspension soon but was warned by their fitter that due to the front end weight of the BITurbo DSG models the tyres could rub????

When it goes in for fitting i'll be running Axe EX 30 20" wheels with 255x34x20 tyres.The wheels have an offset of 40.

Has anyone else come across this issue ??

I'm told they all rub if you lower 40mm or 50mm what ever brand you use the strut is 10mm shorter also
You might be ok with 35 profile but I have to fit 275/40/20 to get load rating of t32 and better ride quality
I've been looking for 19" wheels to stop this but hardly any that have the load rating need also !!

On our Bamboo green kombi, we are running 8.5 x 20 40ET, and we are 15 mmm off the lowest setting on 275/35/20. So far we haven't had to modify the inner arches - We get the very lightest of touchs on a very hard turn - Nothing a heat gun won't sort out. They wheel size and offset seems perfect for the Transporter. Normally we have to use a heat gun to modify the inner arch - 10 mins work. If you are on a T32 and have to use the slightly oversize 40 profile, then we have found you have to modify the front chassis to get complete clearance.

We've now added the H&R roll bars, which reduces roll even more - A worthy upgrade for any lowered van.

@jaseo204 Why don't you run the correct size of 275/35 20 - This is the perfect tyre upgrade when fitting 20's. Are you a T32 or T30? Obviously if T32, you will need the higher weight rating tyre. The T32 tends to sit slightly lower on the Bilsteins

On our Bamboo green kombi, we are running 8.5 x 20 40ET, and we are 15 mmm off the lowest setting on 275/35/20. So far we haven't had to modify the inner arches - We get the very lightest of touchs on a very hard turn - Nothing a heat gun won't sort out. They wheel size and offset seems perfect for the Transporter. Normally we have to use a heat gun to modify the inner arch - 10 mins work. If you are on a T32 and have to use the slightly oversize 40 profile, then we have found you have to modify the front chassis to get complete clearance.

We've now added the H&R roll bars, which reduces roll even more - A worthy upgrade for any lowered van.

@jaseo204 Why don't you run the correct size of 275/35 20 - This is the perfect tyre upgrade when fitting 20's. Are you a T32 or T30? Obviously if T32, you will need the higher weight rating tyre. The T32 tends to sit slightly lower on the Bilsteins
Hi Bognor motors,thanks for your advice,mines a T30 LWB.

Perfect, go for the 275/35's and you will have minimum inner front arch modification with a heat gun

HI again,i cant understand how your going to get less rub on a 275/35/20 than a 255/35/20?

Hi Bognor
Mine is a Carevelle t32 204dsg I want to fit B14's and would love to fit 20" but need to use 40mm profile tyres I only want it 30mm lower than it already sits which I'm told is already 20mm lower than a normal kombi
Are you saying this will rub a lot on full lock ? And not just a heat gun fix
I just can't find any 19" wheels I like with the right load rating !!!!
Thanks

Yes, the T32 sits lower, than the T30 when on the highest setting. You will need to run the 40 profile, as you know, for the weight rating. I would fit the ARB's as well, which will help reduce the roll, as well as a heat gun on the inner front arch - Or even putting a 'cut out' in it to get enough clearance, you will also have to modify the chassis slightly. Once done, you will have no issues.

I blame this all on Pirelli stopping making the 275/35/20 B1 105 tyres (meant for the Bentley), so now you have to oversize to get the correct rating.

Yes, the T32 sits lower, than the T30 when on the highest setting. You will need to run the 40 profile, as you know, for the weight rating. I would fit the ARB's as well, which will help reduce the roll, as well as a heat gun on the inner front arch - Or even putting a 'cut out' in it to get enough clearance, you will also have to modify the chassis slightly. Once done, you will have no issues.

I blame this all on Pirelli stopping making the 275/35/20 B1 105 tyres (meant for the Bentley), so now you have to oversize to get the correct rating.

I really don't want to be modifying chassis on a brand new 50k van
Does it all depend on offset to how much it rubs
I was looking at BBS SV 20x9 ET 45 with 275/40/20
Or I need to look for a 19" or keep my springfeilds

Back