Show us your 17s

Finally got my tomahawk Katos, after ordering them in august last year and being messed around by a shoddy outfit. Got the credit card company involved and got a refund through them.. re ordered elsewhere last week, and they arrived yesterday.

Decided to try a different tyre than the usual BFG, I’ve had those before and whilst fine, i wanted something else.
So I went with some Falken Wildpeak at3 in 245/65/17. Must say.. I think they look awesome!

Van is on standard suspension, so they fill out the arches Nicely.
View attachment 186702
View attachment 186703
View attachment 186704
are these wheels 17x8", how do you find the tyres after using them for a while?

dsc_4573-jpg.100754

Posted by @whale in All terrain tyres - recommendations and pictures :thumbsup:
cool van af...

Anyone had radar issues or similar? I’ve just bought a set of Tomahawk Katos and getting overwhelmed by tyre choices! These will replace stock steels (stock suspension too)

The cross climates are great. I just put mine back on the van this week and even SWMBO says it runs better.

I’m going to clean up my Devonports and paint them black before winter
Hi @JOG
I’ve just worked my way right thru this thread, as thinking to use my Devonports with AT tyres for Winter.
Did you paint yours, and if so, how please?
Thanks
Andy

Hi @JOG
I’ve just worked my way right thru this thread, as thinking to use my Devonports with AT tyres for Winter.
Did you paint yours, and if so, how please?
Thanks
Andy
Hi Andy,

I haven’t done them yet….jobs keep getting in the way. I got some rattle cans of 2k Matt black paint and even created some hooks to hang the wheels by the nozzle hole! I even got as far as scotchbrite-ing one wheel!

Thanks for the prompt to crack on with them! Happy to send you some pics or info if you need

Hi Andy,

I haven’t done them yet….jobs keep getting in the way. I got some rattle cans of 2k Matt black paint and even created some hooks to hang the wheels by the nozzle hole! I even got as far as scotchbrite-ing one wheel!

Thanks for the prompt to crack on with them! Happy to send you some pics or info if you need
Hi John,

Some info and pics would be great when you have time, thank you.
I have no clue re using spray cans properly, wheel prep, best type of paint etc, etc.
Scotchbrite pads sound good for creating a key…

Back in the day, when I competed in Scalextric touring car competitions my attempts were hugely entertaining, for their awfulness!
Matt dayglo green, tacky, with runs and collecting miniature tyre ‘marbles’ dust comes to mind!
Cheers

Hi John,

I have no clue re using spray cans properly, wheel prep, best type of paint etc, etc.

Back in the day, when I competed in Scalextric touring car competitions my attempts were hugely entertaining, for their awfulness!
Matt dayglo green, tacky, with runs and collecting miniature tyre ‘marbles’ dust comes to mind!
Cheers
Just noticed that you’re down the road from me. I’m near Andover, but in Salisbury regularly as my boys go to school there.

Just noticed that you’re down the road from me. I’m near Andover, but in Salisbury regularly as my boys go to school there.
We are indeed.
We also pass Andover on A303 on way to Gemma’s in Kent.
Only just Google-Mapped and realised how close Andover is to Salisbury.
Never needed to travel between the two!
Be good to meet up sometime.
Once our house move goes thru…..

Hi John,

Cheers
got mine powder coated by a local guy for £160 inc fitting my new ATs - the paint in rattle cans was going to cost £60 so for an extra £100 - no brainer!!

got mine powder coated by a local guy for £160 inc fitting my new ATs - the paint in rattle cans was going to cost £60 so for an extra £100 - no brainer!!
Hi @jimthevan . That sounds like a bargain if for a set of 4.
It was what I’d originally planned, but couldn't find anyone anywhere close price wise.

@jimthevan What are those wheel nut you have there pal? Are they actual nuts or covers?

Looking at some Katos and want black nuts.

Also a question for everyone....I have read a lot of threads and still can't fully undestand the real world difference and reason for choosing 235 over 225 or vice versa - is it just looks or are there any real performance differences and reasons you choose one over the other?

T30 long wheel base with full camper conversion going to CRS prior to fitting the wheels so assuming Steve will be able to fit either of these easy enough. I'm currently on Stance + coilovers which are just too low, so although it will be slightly lowered from stock by CRS...it'll be higher than it currently is.

I'm going to flip a coin to decide between....

Falken Wildpeak 235/65/17 108XL H (or 225 version Falken Wildpeak 225/65/17 102 H)
OR
Michelin CC2 SUV 235/65/17 108XL W (or 225 version Michelin CC2 SUV 225/65/17 102 H)

I know I need at least 101 load rating which all these tyres have and even the H speed rating is plenty for my 110bhp van - Its really just the 225 vs 235 thas has me unsure.

Any advice/experience appreciated. Thanks.

I have the Michelin's you've listed above in 235/65/17, been running for more than 10k miles now. My T32 is dropped about 65mm on ST-X coilovers and the wheel and tyre combo fills the arches perfectly without any rubbing or interference at all. Tyres offer decent grip and low rolling resistance so decent MPG still. The extra volume has been great when dealing with the potholes, but do bear in mind if your van came with 16in wheels originally that this diameter knocks the speedo out very slightly - at 58mph I am technically doing 60!! I am sure you could get it recalibrated if you wanted. I really love and much prefer the look of 19/20's on vans but comfort, occasional off road and longevity we're more important to me - lowered properly and with the high volume tyre, 17's looks great!! I have heard many great things about the Wildpeaks as well, both a great choice.

Back