Skyline Aurora Pop-Top opening on motorway?

I have more information now. The part that bent was the cam itself. While most of it is very solid it bends where the actual cam lock fits through. There is a big square hole in the arm and that is the weak point.
The fix is very simple, a washer above it to spread the load and it should be fine.

Reactions: CAB
I have more information now. The part that bent was the cam itself. While most of it is very solid it bends where the actual cam lock fits through. There is a big square hole in the arm and that is the weak point.
The fix is very simple, a washer above it to spread the load and it should be fine.
Thanks for the info, do you have any photos of the cams you have /had ?

This is what my cams look like now. The new addition is the large washer above them.
Interestingly the one side is still adjusted to be higher than the other.
IMG20230610143348.jpgIMG20230610143401.jpgIMG20230610143426.jpgIMG20230610143639.jpgIMG20230610143651.jpg

Hello all, I am converting a 2020 plate T6.1 and have had my van booked in for some time now to have the pop up roof fitted(due to be done in a couple of weeks). I opted for the Skyline Aurora. However I have since been contacted by my installer(not naming names) who tells me that they are no longer installing the skyline Aurora roof due to recent problems with the roof opening up while driving on the motorway. I was told that this has happened to 12 vehicles so far and that it is the catches at the front failing, allowing the roof to pop open in the slip stream during motorway driving. I have not spoken to Skyline on this issue. I was told by my installer that so far, Skyline are not accepting any liability for this and are unwilling to acknowledge that there is a fault in the design. Does anyone on here know anything about this problem, has anyone heard of this happening or had it happen to them. I know that this is a contentious subject, I am not bashing Skyline but repeating what I was told by my installer for why they will not now fit the Aurora roof to my van.
Hi the same thing has happened to me now with the catches failing on my skyline pop top. I've contacted skyline and they said it should have been fitted with a shark fin to deflect air over it and not under it. However the reason for me buying the aurora pop top is that it didn't need any deflector at the front as advertised by Skyline. The upshot is that it is an obvious design flaw as the catches have been changed to a different type.
My installer has tried to get the catches off skyline but they sent the modified ones that don't fit. It's been 3 weeks now and one cancelled Holiday. I would definitely not buy or have any further dealings with Skyline from my experience of this company. If anybody wanted to take legal action I'm sure it would be quite easy given that the original catches have been upgraded and it is now a requirement to have the Shark fin fitted. I'm am now considering legal action and compensation as this roof is extremely dangerous and should be recalled.

Hi the same thing has happened to me now with the catches failing on my skyline pop top. I've contacted skyline and they said it should have been fitted with a shark fin to deflect air over it and not under it. However the reason for me buying the aurora pop top is that it didn't need any deflector at the front as advertised by Skyline. The upshot is that it is an obvious design flaw as the catches have been changed to a different type.
My installer has tried to get the catches off skyline but they sent the modified ones that don't fit. It's been 3 weeks now and one cancelled Holiday. I would definitely not buy or have any further dealings with Skyline from my experience of this company. If anybody wanted to take legal action I'm sure it would be quite easy given that the original catches have been upgraded and it is now a requirement to have the Shark fin fitted. I'm am now considering legal action and compensation as this roof is extremely dangerous and should be recalled.

I did try to put my experience out there and that was just as I told it. Quite a few people on here spoke well of Syline, so I suppose it's a case of you pays your money and you takes your choice. I am sorry that you have had this stress and hassle - we don't need it.

I think these issues need to be put into perspective, all of these roofs, no matter the brand are on a constant cycle of improvement as the product matures.

Usually in the automotive world things are tested to destruction, 100’s maybe even 1000’s of times, but pop tops are manufactured and installed in much smaller numbers and it’s just not realistic to expect that same level of reliability and safety.

I’ve got a HiLo, god knows how many improvements these have had over the years, at least Skyline are acknowledging the issues and modifications are being pushed out to fitters.

Two of my mates have Aurora’s, absolutely no issues at all with them so don’t let it spoil the experience.

If it looks like a shite design it generally is. Pop top roofs aren’t high tech equipment, they should be designed, manufactured and installed with tolerances in mind that can prevent failure.

Jumping in to say our Skyline Aurora opened on the autobahn at 80ish yesterday! Installer is going to fix but now both cams are bent don’t tighten top properly.

Has anyone successfully bent them back or am I best leaving alone for now?

Cheers

IMG_5552.jpeg

IMG_5553.jpeg

Hi, I have followed this thread off and on. I don't profess to know much about the different roof manufacturers methods of holding the roof down, but none I have seen come remotely close to the system used in the VW California.
Firstly, there is an over center toggle clamp which is very robust and a high clamping load can be achieved to pull the roof down into position Secondly there is a heavy duty retaining strap which you hook on once the roof is locked down - so even if the toggle clamp were to fail the roof will not pop up.

I find it quite staggering that these little cam locks are deemed sufficient.

The rigidity of the body shell is reduced when a huge hole is cut in the roof (not sure if this gets reinforced by the installers), this will then allow flex between the roof and the body when hitting bumps or cornering, I can imagine this could slowly work the cam locks loose. Not any evidence that this does occur but it is something I would watch for if I had one of these (or similar) roofs.

John

Jumping in to say our Skyline Aurora opened on the autobahn at 80ish yesterday! Installer is going to fix but now both cams are bent don’t tighten top properly.

Has anyone successfully bent them back or am I best leaving alone for now?

Cheers

View attachment 207054

View attachment 207055
If I was in your situation, I would buy a long ratchet strap - notvtoo heavy duty..pass it through the 2 cab windows and over the roof to give you some peace of mind when travelling about or home. I would leave well alone to avoid being acused of tampering. Good luck.

The cams would only be in that position if they are unlocked.
Have you looked to see how much overlap there is on the bar on the shell when closed?
For enough air to get under the roof to lift it up I think they were only half closed ie first quarter turn get them pointing forward but not pulled down by the second quarter turn.

I've not had any problems with the roof opening (aurora lwb) but from the off I've been nervous about the catches so am really careful when locking it.

However for extra peace of mind I've added some 40cm straps to the handles looped around 'footman loops'. They sit above the line of the hatch cover so that still closes. Have only screwed them but they seem strong but because of the flat angle between handle and loop it is possible to lift the roof an inch or so but I'm assuming they will hold the roof down enough to stop safely if the worse happens and the front catches fail.

Obviously I've screwed blindly into the frame without knowing 100% what's underneath so at your own risk of anyone copies the idea!

PXL_20230802_115905588.jpg

PXL_20230802_115753982.jpg

I've not had any problems with the roof opening (aurora lwb) but from the off I've been nervous about the catches so am really careful when locking it.

However for extra peace of mind I've added some 40cm straps to the handles looped around 'footman loops'. They sit above the line of the hatch cover so that still closes. Have only screwed them but they seem strong but because of the flat angle between handle and loop it is possible to lift the roof an inch or so but I'm assuming they will hold the roof down enough to stop safely if the worse happens and the front catches fail.

Obviously I've screwed blindly into the frame without knowing 100% what's underneath so at your own risk of anyone copies the idea!

View attachment 208079

View attachment 208080
What you’ve done is better than nothing but the strap is applying a force in a horizontal plane when attached like that.
It needs to be applying a force vertically to hold the roof down, as it now it can open until the straps are vertical. I’d also check that the screws securing the handle are strong enough.

Agreed @DXX you are correct there is no vertical tension when the roof is down. The roof will raise an inch or so before they start applying vertical tension. My thinking is it's just a secondary back up which hopefully won't be needed. With the peace of mind placebo effect I may dare getting up to 80 on the way to Switzerland later this month!

Hello all, I am converting a 2020 plate T6.1 and have had my van booked in for some time now to have the pop up roof fitted(due to be done in a couple of weeks). I opted for the Skyline Aurora. However I have since been contacted by my installer(not naming names) who tells me that they are no longer installing the skyline Aurora roof due to recent problems with the roof opening up while driving on the motorway. I was told that this has happened to 12 vehicles so far and that it is the catches at the front failing, allowing the roof to pop open in the slip stream during motorway driving. I have not spoken to Skyline on this issue. I was told by my installer that so far, Skyline are not accepting any liability for this and are unwilling to acknowledge that there is a fault in the design. Does anyone on here know anything about this problem, has anyone heard of this happening or had it happen to them. I know that this is a contentious subject, I am not bashing Skyline but repeating what I was told by my installer for why they will not now fit the Aurora roof to my van.
Great product imho. I like the catches. You put your hand on the roof as you lock it down and you can feel the pop top seal squishing down as you turn the key. All very reassuring. Quality of fitting from Skyline HQ in WSM is spot on!

Back