Sterling battery-battery maintainer

Simon_T

Hi Newbie, here so please forgive me if this has been covered a thousand times already,
I wish to fit a sterling battery maintainer to top up the engine battery can this be done through wiring it in to a sterling B2B 1230 green version..?
If so im assuming the orange positive output from maintainer goes to Stirling b2b charger positive in
the red wire positive in from battery maintainer to sterling B2B charger positive out
and the negative common wire / black from maintainer to negative on sterling B2B
Will this work please or do I have to wire direct to batteries.
Thanks in advance.

You mentioned an orange wire, but there is no orange wire in the picture?

You usually can add maintainers like this at the point the DC-DC is fitted but the thing to take care of is disrupting the high current connections - you don't want the comparatively small cables for the maintainer holding the clamps off the high current cables.

If you feel that the clamps will sufficiently crush the cable that it maintains a good contact area that should be fine, if they feel like they won't then you use a bus bar to terminate the current connections, wire the maintainer to the bus bars and then add new high current cables to the DC-DC.

You usually can add maintainers like this at the point the DC-DC is fitted but the thing to take care of is disrupting the high current connections - you don't want the comparatively small cables for the maintainer holding the clamps off the high current cables.

If you feel that the clamps will sufficiently crush the cable that it maintains a good contact area that should be fine, if they feel like they won't then you use a bus bar to terminate the current connections, wire the maintainer to the bus bars and then add new high current cables to the DC-DC.
Not sure what a bus bar is but will research it
I don’t think all the cables will fit in the terminals,
I just wanted to make sure I had the cables going in the right terminals and that it was correct,
Thankyou for the help and advice

Hi Roadtripper,
I have now successfully added the Stirling battery 2 battery maintainer through bus bars using the engine battery and leisure battery and the Stirling b2b charger and now the engine battery is being topped up by the leisure battery which in turn is being fed power from the solar panels,
can you tell me if and when I start the engine the power from the alternator when charging is not going to damage anything in the process when the engine is running, does the power of the charge only run in one direction or is it unidirectional,
would it be wise to fit a isolator to disable maintainer while running and charging on the engine,,?
forgive me if I sound confusing.
thank you.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB
Hi Roadtripper,
I have now successfully added the Stirling battery 2 battery maintainer through bus bars using the engine battery and leisure battery and the Stirling b2b charger and now the engine battery is being topped up by the leisure battery which in turn is being fed power from the solar panels,
can you tell me if and when I start the engine the power from the alternator when charging is not going to damage anything in the process when the engine is running, does the power of the charge only run in one direction or is it unidirectional,
would it be wise to fit a isolator to disable maintainer while running and charging on the engine,,?
forgive me if I sound confusing.
thank you.
The Sterling website says "ignition protected" on the PDF.

Any battery maintainer is going to be designed so that current only flows one way, and will have circuitry to prevent power going the wrong way.

Back