T6 2.0 TDi 104 ps - Repeated EGR fault - Darkside Developments

FunkyArmadillo

Hi Everyone - great to be a member here - a shame i need to post for your help

I have a T6 2.0 TDi 104 ps I've owned it for 5 years and in that time I've had the EGR flushed under warranty once. Then had it replaced by VW dealership and then flushed twice more (as warranty work after the replacement also failed within 12 months)

Its working out at a failure approximately once a year and no one I've taken the van to can offer a permanent solution.

The van has done 71 k Miles and there don't seem to be any other problems with it.

Its had the ad-blue software update.

I generally only do long journey on motorways, use premium diesel all the time, and never drive with a heavy right foot. The van usually returns 44-46 mpg

Its £1980 each time VW replace the EGR so, this is not a situation that I want to continue.

Obviously I could sell the van and kick the problem onto some other poor soul, but I was looking at the Darkside developments Remap and EGR software removal from ECU as an option to eliminate the issue once and for all

My question is this - has anyone out there had experience of using Darkside developments and their remaps, and most specifically EGR elimination - if so, I would value you comments/recommendations about their service

Thanks in advance

Its £1980 each time VW replace the EGR so, this is not a situation that I want to continue.
That’s a total rip off, no need for it to cost anywhere near that figure.
Flushing doesn’t work, waste of money. At 70K miles you should be looking at replacement, the EGR unit is a consumable item as it fouls with carbon and has a finite life.

Hi, No experience with Darkside but they seem to be highly recommended. If you are going down eliminating the EGR valve it needs to be mapped out so you don’t get any warning lights. And fit blanking plates so no hot gases are entering the EGR cooler. As you know if the EGR cooler breaks down and mixes water with the oil that’s game over. My 180 Btdi EGR was blanked from around 50k and probably saved the engine but the bores were already worn resulting in excess oil consumption eventually requiring a new engine.

As far as I know Darkside Dev’ don’t map out and blank an EGR without removing the DPF. Obviously they assume you are only using the van ‘off road’.
The consequences are that if the DPF is found to ‘missing’ you will at least need to buy a new one £££, my advice is to keep the DPF if removed and / or find somebody who will do the deed and leave the DPF in place.

a new EGR should last at least 70K miles,

so if yours is fouling up that quick it may indicate a separate problem, ( burning oil - excessive soot build up)

what's the oil usage like?

i normally have to "top up" a 1ltr oil between 18k miles services... from new.

now on 12k mile services. - after 5years + new EGR @70K.

a new EGR should last at least 70K miles,

so if yours is fouling up that quick it may indicate a separate problem, ( burning oil - excessive soot build up)

what's the oil usage like?

i normally have to "top up" a 1ltr oil between 18k miles services... from new.

now on 12k mile services. - after 5years + new EGR @70K.
There is virtually no oil usage!

And you say you do general motorway mileage.

So that should be good for EGR health.

The EGR is about £600 and apparently 4hrs labour, so about £1k to do... Main dealers are more, local indy are cheaper..

But that new EGR should last for 70k miles.

I had mine done at 70k ISH. And had the two previous flushes....(All under VW factory extended warranty)

Last edited:
Funny enough DD posted on FB yesterday about the EGR.

Looks like on that van they done the right think for a road legal van and replaced the EGR with a new one.... Here hoping the owner he's another 70k of happy driving.

I see it as just a maintenance thing....it will need replacing on these engines roughly every 70k, so possibly once per ownership?

Screenshot_20240517_142448_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20240517_142456_Facebook.jpg

Reactions: CAB
Back