Greetings campervaners. My first post. New to campervaning arena. Had 2 caravans in the past and just recently travelled around Australia in my Navara with a rooftop tent. Was fun. Now looking to move on to a campervan, as a mostly solo traveller, for my retirement years, long may they last

Just put a deposit down for a new VW transporter t6.1 LWB 450 4Motion and conversion through Achtung campers in Geelong, Victoria, Australia. They look a quality outfit. My van is due to be completed during 2024. I am not sure whether to install the pop top they use. I cannot get any details of there pop top. That worries me.

If there are any Achtung customers who've had there poptops for several years, can you please provide some feedback on there quality and any issues that you have experienced along the way?

After reading several concerning posts regarding faulty pop tops, I am very reluctant to cut most of a beautiful new roof out of this new VW. I understand there are 1000's of these vans with poptops and they are almost a must have for resale, but the thought of what can go wrong scares the beegeebies out of me to be honest. There's no going back. I was hoping to keep this van until I depart this earthly existence, so resale may not be an issue for me.

I spend my day time mostly outdoors, especially for cooking and general relaxing. The van will be mostly for some meal prep, reading, tv, sleeping and keeping out of bad weather, so a pop top roof is not really essential for my needs and they are expensive.
Happy and safe travels. Thanks Scott

My crafter pics below. If anyone would consider doing a swap with us … we use your car in Europe and you use ours in Australia I would like to explore … around late 24 and again late 25 … early Aug to late Sept. can’t lock anything in yet but interested if there is interest. Ideally Italy Spain or Switzerland Austria Germany Norway Sweden would be perfect starting points. We also have beachside accomodation at our home in melbourne mt Martha (look it up) we would be happy to use as currency.

Our LWB 4 motion van is fully off grid with large fridge, induction cooktop, microwave/air fryer/oven combo, hot water, heater aircon, garage, 700kw 48v system with 5000waty inverter. Our Safiery DC to DC produces 250 amps at idle so rarely need to plug in. North Sth bed sleeps up to 2.2m tall. More pics at my instagram Login • Instagram
IMG_3658.jpeg

IMG_2885.jpeg

IMG_1731.jpeg

IMG_1790.jpeg

4B2B3D74-FED7-4962-8966-EE29F4F3B8EB.jpeg

IMG_0602.jpeg

D7FF8173-4779-4F58-9274-02ACBFA42167.jpeg

IMG_0599.jpeg

IMG_0597.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks mentioned this to a mate and he suggested we would both need to pay a bond or something to cover any damage or fines etc but happy to discuss that in detail with anyone interested. Anyway if we can get a pool of interested folks we might be able to make this work. O looked up some hires ay both end it was almost like having a hotel room at around 200-300 euros a night for a decent van hire then you have your site fees on top of that.

Lovely van. Can't help with your offer from this end but hope you get to work something out. My brother does house swaps with people in France.
Good luck with the project.

Greetings campervaners. My first post. New to campervaning arena. Had 2 caravans in the past and just recently travelled around Australia in my Navara with a rooftop tent. Was fun. Now looking to move on to a campervan, as a mostly solo traveller, for my retirement years, long may they last

Just put a deposit down for a new VW transporter t6.1 LWB 450 4Motion and conversion through Achtung campers in Geelong, Victoria, Australia. They look a quality outfit. My van is due to be completed during 2024. I am not sure whether to install the pop top they use. I cannot get any details of there pop top. That worries me.

If there are any Achtung customers who've had there poptops for several years, can you please provide some feedback on there quality and any issues that you have experienced along the way?

After reading several concerning posts regarding faulty pop tops, I am very reluctant to cut most of a beautiful new roof out of this new VW. I understand there are 1000's of these vans with poptops and they are almost a must have for resale, but the thought of what can go wrong scares the beegeebies out of me to be honest. There's no going back. I was hoping to keep this van until I depart this earthly existence, so resale may not be an issue for me.

I spend my day time mostly outdoors, especially for cooking and general relaxing. The van will be mostly for some meal prep, reading, tv, sleeping and keeping out of bad weather, so a pop top roof is not really essential for my needs and they are expensive.
Happy and safe travels. Thanks Scott
Scott - I am on my second pop top - a new Trakka version in the same model T6.1 you are waiting on - after thirty years with a T3 pop top. I have also owned a number of hardtops Kombis (all split windows) - and would never go back. The air movement, light and space just change the whole experince of the van. We will regularly pop ours up for a quick coffee stop as the car is so much more pleasant to be in when open. I have spoken to a quite a few Achtung owenrs - and nearly bought one myself - their roof is good quality and will cause you no issues. I'd strongly recommend fitting the roof.

Scott - I am on my second pop top - a new Trakka version in the same model T6.1 you are waiting on - after thirty years with a T3 pop top. I have also owned a number of hardtops Kombis (all split windows) - and would never go back. The air movement, light and space just change the whole experince of the van. We will regularly pop ours up for a quick coffee stop as the car is so much more pleasant to be in when open. I have spoken to a quite a few Achtung owenrs - and nearly bought one myself - their roof is good quality and will cause you no issues. I'd strongly recommend fitting the roof.
Thanks Quirky. That's terrific you've had a T3 for 30 years. Would be hard to say goodbye to the lady. I hope my T6.1 lasts that long, as I'm planning/hoping for it to be my last vehicle.

Good to read a few Achtung owners are happy with these. I just find it hard to get my head around cutting a woping hole in one of these and to expect similar structural integrity. I asked Achtung if their poptops are TÜV approved, though no answer as yet.

I've watched various YouTube videos on the topic to way up the pros and cons. The advantages I can truly understand. Not sure about canvas life and ease of replacement when the time comes, as well as noise while travelling and water ingress. I would like to inspect one of these that's over 5 years old.

I visit Acthung next month and will go over it all and finalise my conversion options. They have been excellent to deal with so far and have a 5 year warranty except for the poptop canvas.

The vehicle delivery from Germany is looking like the second half of 2024, which is fine by me.

I am considering underbody rust treatment and body treatment from EndRust after the conversion is completed. However I read that the bodies of these Transporters are galvanised and VW offer a 12 year warranty against rust through paint, however I'm not sure about the chasis. I will try to find out more from a dealer.

Current vehicle options I've included are; Appearance package, LED light upgrade, VW suspension upgrade, Comfort package, 4motion with diff lock and Hill descent. Will review these options during the Sept visit. Looking forward to my first Transporter.

Good luck with your new T6.1 and may she provide you with many happy travelling years.

I have a T6 that I had Achtung convert to a full campervan in 2018. We have travelled 100000km and nothing has gone wrong, the pop top is a quality fitment by the guys at Achtung.
Everything from the cupboards, bed , fridge, pop top is well finished and professionally done.
I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
I know it sounds like an advert but I hope it puts your mind at rest.
Get them to show you a finished van and inspect it yourself.

I have a T6 that I had Achtung convert to a full campervan in 2018. We have travelled 100000km and nothing has gone wrong, the pop top is a quality fitment by the guys at Achtung.
Everything from the cupboards, bed , fridge, pop top is well finished and professionally done.
I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
I know it sounds like an advert but I hope it puts your mind at rest.
Get them to show you a finished van and inspect it yourself.
Thanks for your response and feedback AussieMick. It gives me confidence in their work. I will go over the conversion mid Sept. I understand I have several months to finalise the conversion details.

Do you treat the poptop canvas material or have you had to replace or reseal the canvas? I understand the canvas must be kept dry especially during storage.

The Darche rooftop tent on my Navara was replaced last year after 2 years of extended use travelling around Aus. This was due to water leakage while travelling south down the WA coast. Fortunately it was replaced under warranty.

I'm currently awaiting an update on the vehicle build schedule via VW, though it's looking like mid 2024 at the earliest. So my priority at the moment is finalising the Transporter options spec. This forum has been terrific. Thanks

Just picked up a second hand 2019 T6 with the Achtung fit out. Done a few modifications already such as a draw slide under the back.
First time owning a poptop and do find it noisy and not a snug down fit. Surprised it doesn't have any sort of wind deflector that other brand pop top conversions have.
Overall though pretty happy

Are you folding the pop top canvas out of the way of the roof. It should pull down all the way to fit flush with the roof and that should stop wind noise.
My Achtung roof has a small rubber strip spoiler to stop frontal wind noise.
Are you sure it hasn't fallen off or been removed by previous owner.

Hey Geoff,

I ordered my VW transporter 4motion in September 2022 through VW. I never heard anything from them and delivery was supposed to be Dec 2023 which obviously didn’t happen.
I contacted them and asked about it and was informed that my order looks like it won’t happen at all cause VW just isn’t making any right wheel drive 4motions anymore.

I was wondering how you ordered and who is contacting you?

Cheers,

Kyle.

Hi Kyle

I receive an email every month or so from the dealer saying the delivery date is still not been set.

I also received an email from Volkswagen Australia in November 2023 stating,

Due to severe weather events in Europe, specifically extreme rainfall and flooding in Slovenia, a key industry supplier has been forced to reduce their capacity. The supplier, which produces components for the Volkswagen Group is underway in resuming production, however timings have been impacted. As a result, we are experiencing extended delays across the Q4 production period which impacts the ETA of your new vehicle.

We apologise for this delay, our priority is to get your Transporter to you as soon as possible. We encourage you to stay in contact with your dealership for ongoing delivery updates.

It would be bad form to cancel an order this far down the track.

Geoff

It took 23 months for my 4 motion to arrive. ordered 21 received 23 , for my purposes it’s great on sand and hills , northwest spur this weekend good luck and fingers crossed for you !

Reactions: CAB
Hi all, member here and new owner of a brand new T6.1 LWB Crew 4Motion.

Never bought a new car before so this was quite the experience. Bought from interstate and drove back 980kms in a day. My new tank has an array of fitted factory options and hopefully will be the source of fun and adventure for myself and my kids for years to come.

Currently she's been factory fitted with:

• Upgraded suspension/bars
  • LED front and rears
  • Fog lights
  • Upgraded digital dash and discover media system
  • Rear air-conditioning
  • Swivel seats and arm rests
  • Electric sliding doors on both sides
  • Electric tail gate
  • Heated front seats
  • Darker tint
  • Second battery/stronger alternator
  • Comfort and appearance packages
Haven't had a chance to go on a proper drive yet as I've been loving house the last two weeks but soon I'll be taking it for some drives as we slowly build up a bit of camping gear and the like.

Plans for her are:
  • New wheels and AT
  • Roof platform/rack
  • Awning
  • Fun and adventure

PXL_20240210_020007167.jpg

PXL_20240210_015958891.jpg

PXL_20240210_024217579.jpg

I just received sad news from VW this week, that my 4Motion order maybe cancelled. Here was there message below.

"We received notification from VW this week, that the VW factory in Germany may not go ahead with fulfilling any further 4 Motion vehicles in the T6.1 format. Unfortunately, VW in Germany have flagged this potential decision with us, and it is completely out of our control."

"Our contact at VW has advised the following:"

“If these 4 Motions are cancelled (which is most likely), these clients will have the option of re-ordering their 4 Motion vans as a new T7 model. There will also be a potentially lengthy wait for the new model (with an ETA of at least later next year), and the additional cost of the new model. VW feel terrible about this and also potentially being unable to fulfill these orders, and will offer a $2000 compensation voucher to customers if their orders end up being deleted.”

Hopefully confirmation either way, will come through this month. So it's highly likely that I will only have the option of purchasing a new FWD T6.1, 2 litre TDI340 due to arrive into Australia in August. My van conversion would then be completed in October.

It's not a big issue for me, as I mostly will travel on road and don't tow now. I will just have to be mindful of the limitations. I can change the tyres to A/Ts, which may assist a little in slippery conditions.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: CAB
Back