Tow Bar Bike Rack For My T6

Geoff Dodd

Hi all, I'm struggling to find a tow bar bike rack (for two bikes) for my T6. I am using one I had for my last vehicle but it doesn't allow me to open the rear tailgate even without the bikes on...its a bloomin nuisance! Is there on that tilts enough to open the rear tailgate!?
Any recommendations gratefully received!

Factory fit towbar? Fixed or removeable?

Factory fixed here....Westfalia 2 bike skims the top, so avoid that one

Thanks

Nice one, thanks

uebler i21 - 90° designed specifically for T6... so they say ;-)

will post some pics when i pick up the finished camper this weekend..

We have always used a fairly basic Thule Xpress 2 bike rack on the tow bar of our car. It takes ten seconds to attach/remove, stores in the boot, and is absolutely adequate for our needs. It only costs a little over £60!
On our T6 tailgate we have a Westfalia swan neck removable tow bar but we cannot use our existing bike rack because the handle bars of the first bike hit the tailgate when they are loaded. On the car of course the handle bars overhang the boot so this has never been a problem. We want to continue using a tow bar bike rack for the T6 but are wondering if someone who uses one can confirm that no part of the bikes can come into contact with the van. We are prepared to pay what we need to for a suitable bike rack. I know Thule and Westfalia make some excellent tow bar bike racks but they are not specifically designed for a T6 or indeed for any vehicle that has a flat/totally vertical rear end. What are people's experiences of this of this issue? Hope it all makes sense!
Many thanks in advance.

uebler i21 - 90° designed specifically for T6... so they say ;-)

will post some pics when i pick up the finished camper this weekend..

If you look at this Youtube video you will see that this bike rack is not 'specifically' designed for the T6 anymore than any other.

We have always used a fairly basic Thule Xpress 2 bike rack on the tow bar of our car. It takes ten seconds to attach/remove, stores in the boot, and is absolutely adequate for our needs. It only costs a little over £60!
On our T6 tailgate we have a Westfalia swan neck removable tow bar but we cannot use our existing bike rack because the handle bars of the first bike hit the tailgate when they are loaded. On the car of course the handle bars overhang the boot so this has never been a problem. We want to continue using a tow bar bike rack for the T6 but are wondering if someone who uses one can confirm that no part of the bikes can come into contact with the van. We are prepared to pay what we need to for a suitable bike rack. I know Thule and Westfalia make some excellent tow bar bike racks but they are not specifically designed for a T6 or indeed for any vehicle that has a flat/totally vertical rear end. What are people's experiences of this of this issue? Hope it all makes sense!
Many thanks in advance.
You could always use an Allen key to spin your handlebars so they are parallel to the rear door.

Back