Victron DC DC Charger - charging issue

RyanBe

Hi all,

Apologies, I know this probably gets asked all the time - I have emailed the garage that fit this for me but they haven't come back to me yet.

They fitted the above with a new Leisure Battery and it worked great, I had the app open whilst driving occasionally (hands free) and I could see it going through the stages of Bulk Charge, Float etc.

My van starter battery died the other week (My fault - don't use the van too much, and when I have it on charge I believe it only charges Leisure Battery unless I manually select the vehicle option on the van EC50 Panel) - Please correct me if this is wrong but when I switched to the vehicle option it charged the starter battery and the van started.

I have since charged the starter battery and van now starts fine etc, but when I have the Victron app open it shows Input voltage of 12.32v and this doesn't change at all. If I recall previously this would go up and down depending if i was stationery at lights and what not.

Admittedly I haven't driven too far since charging the starter battery so my question is should I go on a long drive and hopefully this will resolve the issue? Or is it best to just get a new starter battery and hopefully that will resolve the problem?

I just don't want to pay out for a new starter battery if that isn't the issue - I am a total novice but I suspect it can't be a coincidence since the battery died the Victron no longer kicks in so suspect the starter doesn't have enough power anymore? I did read somewhere that if I put my lights on AirCon etc then this should produce more power but Victron app still only showed 12.32v.

Thanks in advance!

got some screen shots of the APP and settings?

and which victron dc-dc charger? as there a few.

It also sounds like you have one of the Sargent type all in one systems?

Some pictures of that and the wiring will help.

got some screen shots of the APP and settings?

and which victron dc-dc charger? as there a few.

Sorry its 12V - 18A Isolated.

Here is what it keeps stating no matter what. Granted the drive I did was 15mins or so but again, just stayed at 12.32V.

The rest of the settings are default with the lock out 12.5v to 12.8v I think it is...

Can't send any more screenshots sorry as not at home but yes all default.

Used to work fine until starter died.

Screenshot_20240708_163545.jpg

It also sounds like you have one of the Sargent type all in one systems?

Some pictures of that and the wiring will help.
Can't really show all wiring but the company I paid to fit Victron sorted it all out and I am happy that they did sort it all.

Starter battery dying was my fault

Screenshot_20240710_175730_Gallery.jpg

Can't really show all wiring but the company I paid to fit Victron sorted it all out and I am happy that they did sort it all.
If you're happy they sorted it all then what is it you want help with?

There's a reason we ask these questions, a remarkable number of issues come down to wrong or badly placed connections, even when apparently professionally fitted.

Pictures of your starter battery will also help.

You are correct that in van with a smart alternator (and I assume you are?) that putting a large load like the fan on will cause the alternator to engage. That should normally bring the general voltage on the van electrics up to high end of 13v or slightly over into 14v.

Do you have a multimeter that you could get an independent reading of the starter battery voltage to confirm what the Victron is reporting? Or failing that one that plugs into a 12v socket?

If you're happy they sorted it all then what is it you want help with?

There's a reason we ask these questions, a remarkable number of issues come down to wrong or badly placed connections, even when apparently professionally fitted.

Pictures of your starter battery will also help.

You are correct that in van with a smart alternator (and I assume you are?) that putting a large load like the fan on will cause the alternator to engage. That should normally bring the general voltage on the van electrics up to high end of 13v or slightly over into 14v.

Do you have a multimeter that you could get an independent reading of the starter battery voltage to confirm what the Victron is reporting? Or failing that one that plugs into a 12v socket?
Sorry I mean't I was happy that they fixed my electrics as originally there was no DC DC Charger etc and all was working, which yes now it isn't how it should be. But yes very true i'm sure some professional fitters aren't great!

I was just curious as to if any of you experts had thoughts that a previous dead starter battery would mean that the Victron system would probably no longer work as it should but probably me being naive thinking an easy fix.

Yes that's what I thought and yet switching lights on, air con etc the reading did not move. I will get a multi meter and check the reading manually!

I might just have to ring the company and explain and take it back possibly - but perhaps the multimeter will show the battery is no longer good but I guess even if that was the case, it wouldn't explain the constant 12.32v reading on the victron app hmm

If the value is not changing at all that's very strange, generally a failing battery looses capacity so you'd still see a healthy voltage when the alternator is running, it would just drop away much quicker than normal when it wasn't.

So either the Victron is seeing a very stable voltage from somewhere else or possibly it's just locked up. If you know where the supply fuse to it from the starter battery is you could try removing that for a bit and then replacing it to restart it.

Is there charge history in the Victron app that might give some clues?

If the value is not changing at all that's very strange, generally a failing battery looses capacity so you'd still see a healthy voltage when the alternator is running, it would just drop away much quicker than normal when it wasn't.

So either the Victron is seeing a very stable voltage from somewhere else or possibly it's just locked up. If you know where the supply fuse to it from the starter battery is you could try removing that for a bit and then replacing it to restart it.

Is there charge history in the Victron app that might give some clues?
Thank you for your reply. This seems to suggest that simply replacing the battery clearly won't fix the solution.

I'll have a look for the fuse today!

Unfortunately I don't think the Victron App shows a history.

Back