Victron DC-DC charger issue

Steved55

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi -my victron charger has locked out on input voltage - I had a bad connection on the line fuse from main battery. Can anyone advise how to get system operating again?
Thanks
Steve

IMG_1554.JPG

Hi -my victron charger has locked out on input voltage - I had a bad connection on the line fuse from main battery. Can anyone advise how to get system operating again?
Thanks
Steve

View attachment 163163
Hi Steve,

Your starter battery is 12.4 Volts, by default the Orion input voltage lockout is 12.5 hence why it’s in lockout.

Try starting the engine, if you have a smart alternator you may need to turn on the lights, seat heaters etc to prompt the alternator to provide charge.

Here are the voltage lockout settings from mine:
1656701906164.png

Cheers, Nick.

What is the voltage across the starter battery when running with air conditioning on?
I mean, don't take the figure off the victron app as gospel, actually use a multimeter and measure the voltage across the starter battery terminals. It should be up around 14V when the engine is running with a load on it. If it's not then you have other issues that need addressing first. If it is then the victron app is telling lies and /or there is something wrong with the connection between the starter battery and the charger inputs or the charger is faulty.

Last edited:
Took her out for a quick run with aircon on which appears to have kicked the alternator into producing 14.4 v and the victron unit is back to normal - happy days

Your input voltage lockout is set too high,my Orion kicks in the first time I brake after starting and moving off!

Hi,

New member. I am converting my t6 and have the electrics all set up. Everything has power and working ok except...i have a victron dc-dc charger. The issue I'm having (i think its an issue anyway) is that it's always on even when the ignition is off. It only turns off if I disconnect it at the main battery. Doing this also kills all the lights/fridge etc so it seems everything's run from the main battery. The smart shunt app is reading the leisure battery at 100% even if I run the fridge, lights, phone charger etc for an hour. I've played with all the settings on the app for the charger including enabling and disabling engine shutdown detection. Any ideas where I go from here.
Thanks

Post some screenshots from the Orion status and settings from the app.

And also a few pics of the unit wire connectors.

Those Orion settings are wrong. Can you post some pics of the shunt and battery

Is it that it's not in charger mode? Also need to see how the smart shunt is wired in relation to the batteries

Change the Orion function from power supply to charger.

Thanks for replies, I'm not at the van now until later in the day so can't take any more pics. When I change the setting from power supply to charger, the orion goes off and fridge, lights all go off. It was like this before I fitted the shunt yesterday so I don't think that could be the issue but anythings possible.

It looks like the leisure battery is not connected to the rest of the circuitry - (fuse missing or blown)

With the Orion set to power supply - it’s powering all your lights , fridge etc directly.
When you set it to charger, then it looks like it’s not seeing the LB, so not charging it and LB not connected to your loads

Simon

Basic setup should be like this
Orion Setup.jpg
Then Smart shunt setup inserted into the system as so..
Smart Shunt.jpg
You need to have the shunt the right way round for it to work, this is very important. All loads ground connections must be on the far side of the shunt from the battery, there should only be one wire connected to the negative terminal of the leisure battery, and this should be the large black cable that goes to the shunt battery side terminal.
(on the right hand side in this picture)
Smart Shunt side.jpg

I wonder if @Ddt6 has connected the -ve output of the Orion direct to the leisure batterry but all the load -ve's ie fridge, lights etc are connected to the van body. Meaning any leisure circuits will only be complete when the Orion is on and the leisure and starter batteries are connected giving the leisure circuits a path to ground?

Looking at your diagrams Grim Reaper I think I may have overlooked something in the smart shunt setup. I'll check it out after lunch when i get back to the workshop.

Do a search for epic-rob's lithium leisure build thread, there are some diagrams in there of how the shunt and other things should be wired.

Back