Victron Dc-dc Charger

Makes sense what they are doing.

The Sterling B2B chargers have engine running detection and account for smart alternator charging profiles which works fine.

I suppose I have never really monitored the running of a smart alternator in day to day use to see how long it shuts down for

Ok good price. Is it better overall than a redarc, I assume it's not aswell sealed for engine bay mounting?
It looks equally well sealed but unless your leisure battery is under the bonnet you shouldn't be putting it there! DC-DC chargers should be as close as possible to the target battery to get the best from them.

Question on the Bluetooth monitoring built in to the Victron units.

1. If you have the DC-DC charger, AC-DC Charger, MPPT Controller and a Voltage monitor do they all have their own 'apps' or some sort of combined display?
I have not bought anything yet and quite fancy the bluetooth monitor app instead of a voltage display in the van.
2. If you have one component from Victron and a bunch of other non bluetooth kit will that be sufficient to keep an eye on leisure battery voltage?

Sorry if you think this should be in its own thread

One app covers all devices. When you log on it will show you a list of devices in range. You can choose which one you want to look at. Any of the chargers will allow you to monitor battery voltage but the AC/DC ones need to be connected to the mains.

A nice addition to an existing Victron MPPT user though . . . . =]

I love the Redarc DC-DC and looking forwards to the 50A version...

Although they are 30A . . . you can have to 4x in parallel (120A), and will most likely link together via the VE-Direct Bluetooth Network (manual doesn't specify) . . .

The obvious benefit of these over the Redarc DC-DC is the ability to tweek the settings and voltage levels . . . that you cant do with a Redarc . . . and also Bluetooth monitoring . . . .and also VE-Direct network integration.

HMMMM . . . . . .decisions decisions.

all depends on the price.

No Ve-direct port on the Orion Dell,Bluetooth smart networking is a future up grade!..... just fitted one of these to my van along with smart mppt, what a difference to the shite Ctek
A nice addition to an existing Victron MPPT user though . . . . =]

I love the Redarc DC-DC and looking forwards to the 50A version...

Although they are 30A . . . you can have to 4x in parallel (120A), and will most likely link together via the VE-Direct Bluetooth Network (manual doesn't specify) . . .

The obvious benefit of these over the Redarc DC-DC is the ability to tweek the settings and voltage levels . . . that you cant do with a Redarc . . . and also Bluetooth monitoring . . . .and also VE-Direct network integration.

HMMMM . . . . . .decisions decisions.

all depends on the price.

No Ve-direct port on the Orion Dell,just ripped out a Ctek d250sa and replaced with one of these along with a smart mppt, what a difference!... you can tell it’s a good bit of kit by the weight compared to the shite Ctek unit

I've got and tested a Victron Orion DC-DC . . . . (i love it FYI =] ( I've got a 12/12/30)

see here > Dc-dc Charger (for Leisure Battery) -- How I Done It --

and here > Dc-dc Charger (for Leisure Battery) -- How I Done It --

Mind me asking . . . . but what was your issue with the Ctek . . ? I've not had one for testing . . . . but they seem popular with others . . .

why ?
shite Ctek

also which solar MPPT did you go for . . . . Victron?

Add your setup over here >> What Solar Panel/controller Dc-dc Leisure Battery - Have You Got ?

Copy & Paste the below to add your setup:

Solar Panel:
Mobile Panel:
Solar charge controller:
DC-DC charger:
EHU Charger:
battery bank:
Battery Monitor:
Inverter:
other:

I've got and tested a Victron Orion DC-DC . . . . (i love it FYI =] ( I've got a 12/12/30)

Mind me asking . . . . but what was your issue with the Ctek . . ? I've not had one for testing . . . . but they seem popular with others . . .

why ?

Add your setup over here >> What Solar Panel/controller Dc-dc Leisure Battery - Have You Got ?

Solar Panel:
Mobile Panel:
Solar charge controller:
DC-DC charger:
EHU Charger:
battery bank:
Battery Monitor:
Inverter:
other:

Hi Dell,

the Ctek was supplied as part of my conversion,fitted by others. To the naked eye everything looked good,2 units in 1( I believe in a dedicated unit for a dedicated job!).however when I added bmv712 and victron Venus GX to the van, the data logging on the VRM portal painted a different picture.
Only ever recorded a max of 8 amps from the Ctek unit even when battery was at 70% and 12.8v. I fully charged the leisure battery with a mains charger to 100%,then took the van for a ride.the Ctek was pumping out 15.1v into the battery that was previously in float no loads connected sitting at 13.8v,this happened numerous times,even the integral mppt was behaving the same!.Also because I’ve connected the starter battery up to the auxiliary input on the BMV 712,I could monitor if it was getting tricked charged as per the spec.
Which it wasn’t, emailed Ctek,waste of time, advised of cutting the temp sensor head off to reduce the voltage output(but was advised this would invalidate the warranty!)Hence why the change.
Also....my van is not 2 years old yet, complete with a Varta starter battery,which wasn’t holding its charge, booked it in under warranty showed them the victron data log..... replaced battery with no questions!

The CTEK charges my AGM at 14.9v and at rest is 13.1v, only basic monitoring info available via my BM2 monitor.

AF11D4B1-7E8A-402A-8512-74D840106088.png
Charging of the starter battery from solar is only a pulse charge so you might have missed it!

Yep,your certainly right about the pulsed charge,it got picked up on the data log but only about twice in a month!!snapshot of a 3 hr period on a sunny day!

Last edited:

why ?

Solar Panel:
Mobile Panel:
Solar charge controller:
DC-DC charger:
EHU Charger:
battery bank:
Battery Monitor:
Inverter:
other:

All sorted now @Dellmassive,what difference in results when you use tidy kit!

532F1360-C8A3-423A-95E4-D74B06F04549.jpeg

Hi Guys, couple of questions if you don't mind. Question 1 - what's the difference between the isolated and non isolated version? From what I can see it's just one earth to the leisure battery and then one earth to the chassis? question 2 - is it right you don't need to connect it to the vehicles fuse block like you do with the CTEK?

That's right. You don't need the isolated version in a van. But, you do need to connect to an ign supply at the fuse box.

I've just bought this unit off your website, can you expand on this connection to the ign supply at the fuse box?
I'm looking at this diagram and only expecting to make the 3 connections at the bottom of the unit....

Victron.jpg

Go back to the page that you ordered from on our website and download the fitting PDF for your product. It will explain everything.

Thanks, I've just looked again, there is the Data Sheet, User Manual, Engine Detection Setup Instruction and 2 Victron Connect App links.
The User Manual (p.10) mentions fuses on/at the batteries, I'm not seeing where a fusebox comes in?

edited to add : see later post...

Last edited:
You can download any of the fitting PDFs from my website, whether making a purchase or not. Unlike other suppliers!

Back