VWT6 CXEB NON START After rebuild (2017)

The bleeding might be my next course of action.
l rebuilt the engine so know it's not the grease issue.
New seals fitted then replaced back with the correct cylinder
assuming you used VCDS to use the FUEL PRIME feature,

to run one/both lift/prime pumps for 60sec each.

to get the fuel system primed properly?

++++++++++++++++++
1714233312913.png

++++++++++++++++

Reactions: mmi
Yeah it runs with spray.

Well chuffs away for a few seconds then stops

so you have a fuel problem then?

if you keep spraying will it keep running?

+++++++

sounding more like a fuel problem to me?

Try this

Fixed , Sloved !
Hello, thank you all for the good information !
How we did get the T6 runnnig:

Removed the rail sensor. (this to increase rail pressure +300bar and also this automaticly open and close the injectors)
At the same time, opening the nuts from the pressure lines to the valves.
By these 2 things the possible stuck air could breed out of the system.

Thank you again all !

Dries VB

Here's a log of the previously suggested values to check.
just a quick graph @mmi style

rail pressure vs time 1-8seconds

rail pressure rises to 40000kPa

+++++++++++++++++

1714233928773.png

+++++++++++++++

looking over here:

we get around 30000kpa at startup.

1714234080737.png

rising to 89000kPa when running under load,

1714234126867.png

so can you get a better startup data set,

have a look at @mmi instructions here - Start up fault

and post so we might get a better idea.

1714234228993.png

but having good rail pressure doesnt mean that the injectors are firing,

so its rail pressure first - then we look into the injector fire + glow plug comands.

assuming you used VCDS to use the FUEL PRIME feature,

to run one/both lift/prime pumps for 60sec each.

to get the fuel system primed properly?

++++++++++++++++++
View attachment 238617

++++++++++++++++

Steps with VCDS:

Steps with VCDS:

But the air needs to be vented.

Thank you all. I need to get a newer VCDS. The one I have wont let me cycle the fuel pumps. I'll get the better data set tomorrow and put it online.

I am also going to attempt to remove any trapped air by removing the charge air cooler and bleeding up to the injectors.

I'll let you k ow how it goes...

Also please note the workshop manual says bleeding must be done for at least 3 minutes for the hpfp to have enough fuel and not run dry

1714235408761.png

Well, that's the question I asked at the garage - was told that it bleeds the air through injector's return flow port. I haven't verified that by myself but I have been lucky to witness immediate startup after fuel filter replacement and almost immediate startup after injector replacement.
EDIT: link correction

Thank you all. I need to get a newer VCDS. The one I have wont let me cycle the fuel pumps. I'll get the better data set tomorrow and put it online.

I am also going to attempt to remove any trapped air by removing the charge air cooler and bleeding up to the injectors.

I'll let you k ow how it goes...
Carista will perform this function.

Well, that's the question I asked at the garage - was told that it bleeds the air through injector's return flow port. I haven't verified that by myself but I have been lucky to witness immediate startup after fuel filter replacement and almost immediate startup after injector replacement.
EDIT: link correction
The fuel rail would be full of fuel after a filter change and I suspect that it was almost full after an injector replacement. Just the HP delivery lines to fill and they are very small bore.
It’s not just the HPFP that needs fuel to lubricate, the clearances in the injectors are tight, injector damage can occur if fired dry for an excessive period.

according to VW its self venting, - provided that the fuel prime procedure is followed making sure the HPFP is full of fuel so that rail pressure builds straight away.

@mmi mentioned about venting via the return line,

i was told by the VW tech that the HPFP pressure is so high the air is compressed to microscopic bubles that travel through the system and vented back at the tank.

its mentioned again above in @n10n quote,

1714237073484.png

@cottya

come join as a VIP,

then you have access to all the tech downloads . . . . .

+++++++++++

then check these out.

1714237260623.png

eg:

1714237360754.png1714237377339.png1714237368751.png

1714237398928.png

The HPFP is a fixed displacement pump.

according to VW its self venting, - provided that the fuel prime procedure is followed making sure the HPFP is full of fuel so that rail pressure builds straight away.

@mmi mentioned about venting via the return line,

i was told by the VW tech that the HPFP pressure is so high the air is compressed to microscopic bubles that travel through the system and vented back at the tank.

its mentioned again above in @n10n quote,

View attachment 238632

Fixed , Sloved !
Hello, thank you all for the good information !
How we did get the T6 runnnig:

Removed the rail sensor. (this to increase rail pressure +300bar and also this automaticly open and close the injectors)
At the same time, opening the nuts from the pressure lines to the valves.
By these 2 things the possible stuck air could breed out of the system.

Thank you again all !

Dries VB

The HPFP is a fixed displacement pump.
makes sense to me, that you need fuel (liquid) for the pump to work, and an airlock may form if it was dry.

so i can only assume that the return line and N290 valve must somehow allow self priming. . ?

it has its own fuel return line back to the tank, maybe that allows self air purging?

i dont know for sure as I've not been in this situation. . .

1714237755413.png1714238301969.png

++++++++++++++++++++++++

but what i have done is run the tank done dry till the engine cut out from fuel starvation. . .

i then run to the garage as we all do, and buy £1M quid for a 5ltr plastic fuel can,

then fill with 5ltr of derv, then back to the van,

put it then crank the engine hard until the battery run flat - it didnt start. !!!!

+

called the AA, who arrived and said the fuel prime pumps needed to be run after a run dry,

so while he had the battery charging he done the laptop thing and run the fuel pumps, (mine had two, one in the tank and a second one in the engine bay)

then after that it took 3 or 4 goes and the engine sprung into life.

this was on my MY11 T5.1, but basically the same on the T6.

the lesson i learned was:

A - dont let a T5-T6.1 run out of fuel

B - if you do, make sure you have VCDS or Carista handy to run the lift pumps.

Reactions: DXX
I'll let you know how I get on working g through the things suggested.

I have the tech docs already thanks.
though, its Still worth joining as VIP for the input from the forum.

go on, you know you want to.

if anything it helps keep the forum Advert free. - that alone is worth £12.99

makes sense to me, that you need fuel (liquid) for the pump to work, and an airlock may form if it was dry.

so i can only assume that the return line and N290 valve must somehow allow self priming. . ?

it has its own fuel return line back to the tank, maybe that allows self air purging?

i dont know for sure as I've not been in this situation. . .

View attachment 238641View attachment 238642

++++++++++++++++++++++++

but what i have done is run the tank done dry till the engine cut out from fuel starvation. . .

i then run to the garage as we all do, and buy £1M quid for a 5ltr plastic fuel can,

then fill with 5ltr of derv, then back to the van,

put it then crank the engine hard until the battery run flat - it didnt start. !!!!

+

called the AA, who arrived and said the fuel prime pumps needed to be run after a run dry,

so while he had the battery charging he done the laptop thing and run the fuel pumps, (mine had two, one in the tank and a second one in the engine bay)

then after that it took 3 or 4 goes and the engine sprung into life.

this was on my MY11 T5.1, but basically the same on the T6.

the lesson i learned was:

A - dont let a T5-T6.1 run out of fuel

B - if you do, make sure you have VCDS or Carista handy to run the lift pumps.

In the situation you described the HPFP would fail to raise pressure as soon as the LP lift pump lost supply to feed the HPFP. In this situation I would expect the fuel rail, injector pipes and possibly the injectors to still be full of fuel but unable to inject due to lack of pressure.

In the situation you described the HPFP would fail to raise pressure as soon as the LP lift pump lost supply to feed the HPFP. In this situation I would expect the fuel rail, injector pipes and possibly the injectors to still be full of fuel but unable to inject due to lack of pressure.
I had everything removed so there is definitely a chance there is air trapped air

Afternoon all thanks for your help so far. I have attempted to bleed the system where I could by cracking open the pipes. Each time I nipped the joints back up the engine would run for about 10 secs although lumpy. It's now back to original state almost starting but not quite.
The annoying thing is my VCDS is not allowing me to run the fuel pumps.
I'm getting refused by control module and other functions are telling me it's not supported in active session.
Can anyone let me know how to run fuel pumps for 3 minutes as suggested in the workshop manual. It would be nice to know I'm not selecting the wrong things.

Back