VWT6 CXEB NON START After rebuild (2017)

I'm assuming you have a cloan version of vcds?

Carista can do it apparently.

You need to make sure your fuel pump/s are working.

And getting fuel up to the derv filter and hpfp.

Afternoon all thanks for your help so far. I have attempted to bleed the system where I could by cracking open the pipes. Each time I nipped the joints back up the engine would run for about 10 secs although lumpy. It's now back to original state almost starting but not quite.
The annoying thing is my VCDS is not allowing me to run the fuel pumps.
I'm getting refused by control module and other functions are telling me it's not supported in active session.
Can anyone let me know how to run fuel pumps for 3 minutes as suggested in the workshop manual. It would be nice to know I'm not selecting the wrong things.
Good news that you have fuel to all injectors. You mentioned earlier that the charge air cooler needed to be removed to do this?
Have you fully re-assembled the induction system when you are trying to start? If not the MAF isn’t going to register.

Its genuine Ross tech vcds.

According to the measured values Pumps are working I have also had squirts of diesel out of the points I'm bleeding.

Good news that you have fuel to all injectors. You mentioned earlier that the charge air cooler needed to be removed to do this?
Have you fully re-assembled the induction system when you are trying to start? If not the MAF isn’t going to register.
I can only get to the top of two of the injectors. I'll have to try and somehow get the last two aswell. I plugged everything back in just left the inlet and outlet for the cooler off.

What version vcds are you running?

I can only get to the top of two of the injectors. I'll have to try and somehow get the last two aswell. I plugged everything back in just left the inlet and outlet for the cooler off.
That’s probably why it’s not starting, all 4 injectors need to be bled.

I'm getting refused by control module and other functions are telling me it's not supported in active session.
So did you take exactly the steps below?

VCDS > Select > Engine > Basic Settings > IDE00459-Test of transfer fuel pump

Normally you get an "active session" opened if you have been "wandering" other areas of engine diagnostics (e.g. advanced measuring values) and then enter the Basic Settings - in this case to close the active session one need to exit the engine controller back to main menu and restart from there.

Of course it can be just that the VCDS cable is too old for the engine. There are known shortcomings in older cables re modern engines.

So did you take exactly the steps below?

VCDS > Select > Engine > Basic Settings > IDE00459-Test of transfer fuel pump

Normally you get an "active session" opened if you have been "wandering" other areas of engine diagnostics (e.g. advanced measuring values) and then enter the Basic Settings - in this case to close the active session one need to exit the engine controller back to main menu and restart from there.

Of course it can be just that the VCDS cable is too old for the engine. There are known shortcomings in older cables re modern engines.
Thanks. That is the test I'm trying to do. I'll double check that everything's closed in the morning

Reactions: mmi
So the update so far. I stripped everything to get to injectors and bleed every joint and put it back togther. It now fires up runs and revs but very lumpy, for about 10 seconds but then dies. Revs drop off and it cuts out. I ran out of time to investigate deeply. When it was happening the hpfp pressure was dropping as quickly as the cutting out of the engine.

Finally have it running and idling. But very roughly.
Tried taking it for a road test to see if it would clear up and there was virtually no boost. I barely got it back on my drive which had a slight incline.
No warning lights on the dash but these were on the vcds
P1007
P299
P121
All connections are fine and no obvious hose splits.

Any idea of things I could try/check

Thanks for taking a look at this. Here's the scan

Attachments

• Log-WV1ZZZ7HZHX030312-165150km-102619mi.txt
    16.4 KB · Views: 5
Here another log. The shake and shudder has gone. It seems to be running on all 4 cylinders now. There is still a boost issue that re appeared when I took it on a test run.

Attachments

• Log-WV1ZZZ7HZHX030312-165160km-102625mi.txt
    16.9 KB · Views: 3
Here another log. The shake and shudder has gone. It seems to be running on all 4 cylinders now. There is still a boost issue that re appeared when I took it on a test run.
Thanks for the logs. Now the fault codes make more sense. Between the logs interestingly P1007 "lost" it's freeze frame data - indicating that the fault was gone when the second log was taken - so it was cylinder 4 which had challenges to keep up with the rest.

Re the fault codes P0299 - they indeed have recorded lackof boost pressure during an attempted acceleration:
  • Engine RPM: 2532.50 /min
  • Normed load value: 99.6 % = full acceleration request
  • Charge air pressure: specified value: 2.987 bar = full boost request (the value engine idling reads about 1 bar)
  • Absolute intake pressure: 129 kPa abs = only 0.29 bars of boost achieved (the value engine idling reads about 100 kPa=1bar)
  • Turbocharg.2 compress.outlet: press.sensor 1 bank 1: raw value: 1015 mbar (no boost here either, just slightly above normal atmosphere)
So obviously something wrong with the charge air system - either turbos not producing pressure or a massive air leak. As the freeze frame data is just a snapshot I think there is not much more we can extract from those.

Thank you for going through that. I have just had the turbos reconditioned so I believe the fault will lay in the charge side as you say.
I am wondering if I should renew the boost pipes as I have had them on and off a fair few times now and the rubber is alot softer than when I was originally dealing with them.
I'll keep you all updated.
Once again thank you for your time and advice.

Reactions: mmi
Back