I had a T5 van and now a T6 combi. I put the westfalia wiring with detachable tow bar on the T5 , and the detachable tow bar with right connections wiring on the t6. The westfalia wiring is a more professional and neater fit. The right connections module fits beside the battery with the extra wiring and fuses in the same area. It looks a bit messy. Both need vcds to set up so the van recognises the module, turns off the van fog lights when trailer attached and shows a trailer on the screen when reverse selected. Both do exactly the same. Right connections is easier to install, but doing it again I would go westfalia for the neatness.
I got detachable tow bars because of the possibility of the reverse park sensors seeing the ball, but they don't. So regret not saving the money and buying fixed. Also, strictly speaking the break away wire from my caravan shouldn't be around a detachable ball.

I've just fitted the PF Jones non detachable towbar and there 13 pin wiring kit ( ECS Electronics). Pretty simples. Loom goes from under the passenger seat to the 13 pin at towbar. A few plastic covers have to be removed from under the van. Then from passenger seat goes the 12v feeds to the battery and also a couple of CANBUS wires to the BCM. Trickiest part in my view was swopping the wires in the BCM due to lack of space and being at a funny angle for the human body to work on!! Plug in module under the pass seat and NO need for VCDS to code it works straight out of the box.

Ps. How do you find towing the caravan with the T6. I've just had mine upto Cumbria for half term. Coming from a Audi Q5 towcar previously I found the T6 150 DSG to have plenty of power and not needing to rev the engine has much albeit going up the gear box quicker to ride the torque. I did find it to be a little less stable at 60 mph than the Q5 but think I needed a little more weight in the rear of the van. I will be putting 20inch rims on soon with 2754020 tyres so maybe that might help too.

Regards

D

Hi DavRob,
My only towing experience is with the same caravan and my old T5 and now this T6. Both had the same T5 18" sportline wheels that I bought for the T5 and swapped over. The T5 was a 102 manual which was fine for normal use but very poor towing the caravan. Mostly it felt like it was bouncing forward, then on a slight downward slope I wanted a 6th gear. The t6 is a 150 manual and is much smoother when towing although sometimes it feels happier in 5th rather than 6th gear. My caravan is quite heavy and we do also take a load in the van, awning, all the missus wardrobe and food for a month.
From what I have read on the forum, I'm not sure how larger wheels will perform. There are arguments over effectively highering the ratios but practically that should only affect the top end and setting off. It might not pull top gear as well when loaded, but what would bother me more is clutch wear, setting off loaded with a higher ratio.
Regards. E

DSC_3662.JPG

Plug in module under the pass seat and NO need for VCDS to code it works straight out of the box.
Some vehicles come with towbar prep so you can fit a more simple wiring harness. The code for this is 1D7 (on the sticker in the front of your service book) and it has to be factory ordered from what I can work out. If you have the 1D0 code, you will need to fit the full harness.

Without coding you will get all lights to work so you may think everything is good, however it is still worth doing the VCDS coding. Fog light, reversing sensors, trailer alarm and stability control have been mentioned previously but I'm sure I coded the Stop/Start out of mine too for when the trailer is attached.

Can you code out stop start if trailer attached?. If so where is that in vcds.
Thanks.
Go into the engine module and tick 'Trailer Installed' in bit 5. I stumbled upon that option by accident and after ticking it, Stop/Start has shown as being disabled on the instrument cluster at times when it would have turned the engine off previously. I've not noticed anything else different since ticking it.

Hey guys

I'e Just received my westfelia detachable tow bar. Most detachable ones I've had in the past has the electrics plug that flips up and out of sight when you don't want to see it. However this one looks fixed. Can you see the electric socket all the time if that's the case? Seems a bit pointless bothering with a removable tow bar if that's the case..hmmm

Cheers Paul

It sits low and slightly back so although it's permanent it's not overly noticeable will run out and take a pic

Here you go, it's dark and raining but should give you an idea, the plug sits levelish with the mounting point for the detachable bar

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Top man Pauly thanks.

Just had a look over the wiring and I think I have my head round it now

Oh meant to say to you I'm keen keep on your foot well lights

Last edited:
Seen a few posts regarding the 12 way fusebox but not my particular issue...

So i have the fusebox already installed and the instructions (both westfalia which I have and genuine which I found on here) say to insert cables into 4, 5 & 6. the problem is the live feed into the fuse box stops at 5. Now I could just shift them all up 1 space but I don't understand what has gone wrong.

Any ideas!?

Thanks,
Wayne

There different fusebox sand I think the others go up to 8
Check what you have has got a common bar on the feed side supplying all the fuse ways and if it has it doesn’t matter what order/slots they go in

There different fusebox sand I think the others go up to 8
Check what you have has got a common bar on the feed side supplying all the fuse ways and if it has it doesn’t matter what order/slots they go in

Thanks Pauly, Mine looks to feed from 12 down to 5 then the last 4 are unpopulated.
I'll use 5, 6 & 7. It just seemed strange that the instructions seemed to suggest if the 12 way was there then it would definitely have power to slot 4.

As long as the BCM connections are correct then I'm happy!

Factory Westfalia removeable tow bar fitted on 2016 Kombi. Pin 9 (permanent 12V) is connected but pin 10 (engine running 12V) is not. Is this "normal"? Best way to fix and where to take feed from? Going to be fitting leisure battery anyway so maybe best wait until then. Seems daft that this is not connected from factory for fridges, etc! Thanks

Factory Westfalia removeable tow bar fitted on 2016 Kombi. Pin 9 (permanent 12V) is connected but pin 10 (engine running 12V) is not. Is this "normal"? Best way to fix and where to take feed from? Going to be fitting leisure battery anyway so maybe best wait until then. Seems daft that this is not connected from factory for fridges, etc! Thanks
Factory? Are you sure it's not connected? To activate the outputs at the socket the van needs to detect the trailer. Have a look ---> 13 pin towing socket

I'm fitting the electrics to my tow bar.
It says to put cables in pin 4 5 6 but I'm pretty sure theres already cables in the fuse block 4.
Do i just wire them down?
Struggling to see where they get there power from then
20191129_151229.jpg
Do it like this??
20191129_151255.jpg 20191129_151257.jpg

20191129_151255.jpg

Back