What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Keep unscrewing them, it takes a while as it's a pretty long thread and quite tight.
It will come off eventually.
Do not pull until fully unscrewed.

Post a pic when done

Have you decided if yours are going to face in, out or to the front? :p
Maybe we should start a poll?

Thanks, just been out now and twisted it round about 300 times with pliers, it does eventually come free, I’ll take a pic of the bare threaded bit as well as a before and after. Thanks,

mum facing in as well..... my wife reckons out so you can see as you approach and my lad reckons in line with the door !!!!

took me back about 25 years to when I took the door pins out of my Golf GTI as yhey could be yanked up fairly easily with packing strip. I replaced them with a red flashing LED to warn off would be thief’s. It worked as I had it nigh on 10 years.

Decided to take today off as it looks like I’ll be working next weekend and as it was a cracking sunny day decided to get on with fitting my THQ lights. Went much smoother than I thought, the two awkward clips at the sides didn’t cause too much of a problem and the whole job from start to finish took under 2 hrs doing it on my own. The main problem I had was working out how to unclip the old headlights.
Big thanks to everyone who has put info about how they did it and shared their problems, it was only through this that I was able to carry it out so easily.

One thing I did slightly differently from what I’ve read, I didn’t completely remove the bumper, I unclipped it and pulled it forward a few inches to rest on an old pillow meaning I could leave all the wiring in place.

Now to grab something quick to eat and then get on with raising the rear B14s.

Decided to take today off as it looks like I’ll be working next weekend and as it was a cracking sunny day decided to get on with fitting my THQ lights. Went much smoother than I thought, the two awkward clips at the sides didn’t cause too much of a problem and the whole job from start to finish took under 2 hrs doing it on my own. The main problem I had was working out how to unclip the old headlights.
Big thanks to everyone who has put info about how they did it and shared their problems, it was only through this that I was able to carry it out so easily.

One thing I did slightly differently from what I’ve read, I didn’t completely remove the bumper, I unclipped it and pulled it forward a few inches to rest on an old pillow meaning I could leave all the wiring in place.

Now to grab something quick to eat and then get on with raising the rear B14s.
The afternoon hasn't gone to plan. The ARB has to be dropped before I can get the springs out to adjust and one of the M8 spline bolts holding the ends on was torquing out as I tried to undo it. When it had its pre-MOT service last week they did mention that they found one of the ARB bolts needed nipping up and I bet they've used an air wrench to do it. The inside splines aren't completely rounded but the bit is slipping and, given previous problems I've had with one of these that snapped, I've called it a day. I'm going to have to return to this when I've got a full day ahead of me without needing the van the next day and in the meantime order another set of bolts. I don't want this to snap again and have to drill it out so I may have to take it somewhere and get them to change the bolts, then I get to take out freshly installed ones. Disappointing.

Then I went to put the van away in the garage and noticed that one of the headlights had a wiggly scratch on the INSIDE of the lens. Don't suppose it's worth going through all the bumper off procedure again to send it back under warranty, but it's taken the shine off it so to speak.

A day of two halves. Where's the beer?

IMG_0137.jpg

Last edited:
The afternoon hasn't gone to plan. The ARB has to be dropped before I can get the springs out to adjust and one of the M10 spline bolts holding the ends on was torquing out as I tried to undo it. When it had its pre-MOT service last week they did mention that they found one of the ARB bolts needed nipping up and I bet they've used an air wrench to do it. The inside splines aren't completely rounded but the bit is slipping and, given previous problems I've had with one of these that snapped, I've called it a day. I'm going to have to return to this when I've got a full day ahead of me without needing the van the next day and in the meantime order another set of bolts. I don't want this to snap again and have to drill it out so I may have to take it somewhere and get them to change the bolts, then I get to take out freshly installed ones. Disappointing.

Then I went to put the van away in the garage and noticed that one of the headlights had a wiggly scratch on the INSIDE of the lens. Don't suppose it's worth going through all the bumper off procedure again to send it back under warranty, but it's taken the shine off it so to speak.

A day of two halves. Where's the beer?

View attachment 101246
What's the chance that scratch is a piece of plastic swarf on the inside?
Got an airline? Or can of air for cleaning a computer

switchback fog lamps fitted.. Took it for a drive with the cornering lights enabled, no dash errors and no DAB radio cutouts.

IMG_20210201_165009~2.jpg

The afternoon hasn't gone to plan. The ARB has to be dropped before I can get the springs out to adjust and one of the M8 spline bolts holding the ends on was torquing out as I tried to undo it. When it had its pre-MOT service last week they did mention that they found one of the ARB bolts needed nipping up and I bet they've used an air wrench to do it. The inside splines aren't completely rounded but the bit is slipping and, given previous problems I've had with one of these that snapped, I've called it a day. I'm going to have to return to this when I've got a full day ahead of me without needing the van the next day and in the meantime order another set of bolts. I don't want this to snap again and have to drill it out so I may have to take it somewhere and get them to change the bolts, then I get to take out freshly installed ones. Disappointing.

Going back 2yrs to when I last adjusted the height of the rear springs, the one that is rounding off and difficult to remove now is in the exact position of the one that snapped back then https://www.t6forum.com/threads/guide-adjusting-b14-ride-height-with-h-r-arbs.12506/
I need to think hard about my next move, I don't want a repeat.

Got home and swapped the seats over fitting my modified double seat base so relieved lines straight up no issues ( didn’t check during the cutting and rewelding) so much better checked with the boss and she loves it much happier that the seat height is how it should be and the swivel works much better now too

D0457B2E-508E-4E12-9031-EB70D17B8A06.jpeg

77604DB6-B679-44F6-A3E5-EF441D671D2A.jpeg

AFCFB3C6-4FDE-4962-8F0A-FD41DE93B1F8.jpeg

DCC6896D-78DF-4812-9AFB-57B624D69F0A.jpeg

FCC19E20-D2BE-4C64-B5FB-645F50A5268B.jpeg

4824AAD3-EF33-42E6-8EA0-6D16BFD5FD41.jpeg

28EC70A5-DD7E-4FDD-95EE-62A8625431CF.jpeg

23C5ADC2-E4F5-43E2-99BD-73069D00FD70.jpeg

8019619B-BBF6-4661-B937-993869A0D553.jpeg

Got home and swapped the seats over fitting my modified double seat base so relieved lines straight up no issues ( didn’t check during the cutting and rewelding) so much better checked with the boss and she loves it much happier that the seat height is how it should be and the swivel works much better now too

View attachment 101271

View attachment 101272

View attachment 101273

View attachment 101274

View attachment 101275

View attachment 101276

View attachment 101277

View attachment 101279

View attachment 101280

That's some nice work!

View attachment 101271

View attachment 101272

View attachment 101273

View attachment 101274

View attachment 101275

View attachment 101276

View attachment 101277

View attachment 101279

View attachment 101280
That’s a brilliant mod @Niknak - you must be chuffed at the result. You saved yourself a small fortune being able to do it yourself.

That’s a brilliant mod @Niknak - you must be chuffed at the result. You saved yourself a small fortune being able to do it yourself.
Very happy how it’s turned out I’d recommend anyone with a double swivel base either do the same or buy a reduced height base, very pleased I decided to take the structure apart and dress it back in to the original size of the base, as I’m sure if you’d just cut the base off and put angle iron in to remake the base it would put the side angle to tight to the b post to swivel

View attachment 101271

View attachment 101272

View attachment 101273

View attachment 101274

View attachment 101275

View attachment 101276

View attachment 101277

View attachment 101279

View attachment 101280
If anyone is intrested in doing their own modded base I’m happy to talk anyone through it before it results in skip fodder as not the nicest bit of fabrication I’ve done

If anyone is intrested in doing their own modded base I’m happy to talk anyone through it before it results in skip fodder as not the nicest bit of fabrication I’ve done

It does sound like a good plan, I need to find a friend who does welding first!

Back