What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

I routered out my indoor/outdoor table, so i could add a removable 1200 Watt induction cooktop into it.

I did install a smaller induction cooker in the campervan a while back.

IMG_1136.jpg

But as we cook outside 99% of the time, it made sense to be able to cook outside, after cooking, we just throw a silicone mat over the cooker and no heat comes through while eating at the table

I also designed and 3D printed a lid for when the induction isn't in the rebate, it attaches to the table with rare earth magnets.

I'm currently printing a improved version at the moment, along with some quick clip cable mounts for holding up the induction power cable under the table

I will have to get some better pictures once the rain stops

IMG_1206.jpg

So not wanting to have my solar cables poking through the window when I use my portable solar panel I decided to work out a way of using the existing holes where the tailgate hinge would go - I have barn doors so there are just two grommets there. I used a couple of M10 glands, some rubber roofing washers left over from the leak free roof bar fixing method and some cable tie mounts. The idea is the the cables stay tucked out of the way but when I want to use the panel I can utilise that dip in the roof line where the hinge would go. I'm sure it will be water tight and the door closes without touching the cables. Now I just have to run the cables inside the van to my cetek.

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg
IMG_1203.jpg

So not wanting to have my solar cables poking through the window when I use my portable solar panel I decided to work out a way of using the existing holes where the tailgate hinge would go - I have barn doors so there are just two grommets there. I used a couple of M10 glands, some rubber roofing washers left over from the leak free roof bar fixing method and some cable tie mounts. The idea is the the cables stay tucked out of the way but when I want to use the panel I can utilise that dip in the roof line where the hinge would go. I'm sure it will be water tight and the door closes without touching the cables. Now I just have to run the cables inside the van to my cetek.

View attachment 170994

View attachment 170995
View attachment 170997

That looks fantastic! I have a solar suitcase and have been poking the cables through the windows.

Do you pop your panels on your roof? I had thought if mounting to a roof rack on the rear two mounts, but didn't like to have to permanently mount the panels, especially as my van currently fits under 2m barriers. I bough a solar suitcase instead. My mains hookup goes through a grommet in the firewall bulkhead and sits next to the battery and I'm thinking of doing something similar with my panel connectors, under the bonnet.

That looks fantastic! I have a solar suitcase and have been poking the cables through the windows.

Do you pop your panels on your roof? I had thought if mounting to a roof rack on the rear two mounts, but didn't like to have to permanently mount the panels, especially as my van currently fits under 2m barriers. I bough a solar suitcase instead. My mains hookup goes through a grommet in the firewall bulkhead and sits next to the battery and I'm thinking of doing something similar with my panel connectors, under the bonnet.
Yep I throw the panels on the roof but can have them anywhere around the van now, I might fit a permanent small flexible panel on the roof next

Whilst I had the dash apart for the final time in an attempt to fix "(Manual) dash vents don’t blow air", I took the opportunity to add two USB charging sockets.

A switched socket with USB-A QC 3.0 and USB-C PD up top for charging adhoc devices:

62A9FF93-DF2D-459A-9D2C-2419BB34CD9B_1_201_a.jpeg

And a non-switched socket with dual USB-A QC 3.0 under the dash (hidden behind a panel), for hard-wired wireless phone charging (and a spare port for a future dash cam):

tempImageDLMQLZ.jpg

tempImageECBzuG.jpg

I've connected both sockets so they're only powered when the ignition is on, so the battery doesn't go flat when devices are left plugged in.

Big thanks again to @Dellmassive for sharing all the knowledge!

Fitted a cheapo battery monitor which confirms (probably) that the previous owner was not 'kind' to the leisure battery which now won't hold more than 87% charge - the van is only a year old. Put battery through a Ctek recon program which reported 'green' and fully charged at the end, but that level only took a couple of hours to fall off, and during that time the battery was not under any load.

Waiting for local company who I trust to get hold of a nice AGM replacement that will book 105Ah instead of the current 75Ah.

Journal - 02 September 2022-001.jpeg

View attachment 170994

View attachment 170995
View attachment 170997
You iz clev:thumbsup:

Well its been a year since I bought my T6, slowly slowly I've been converting her. All electrics done and to my surprise everything works! Still have bed boards to fit and need to find a water and gas supply solution as the cupboards are slim but I'd say she's about 98% complete!

First propper weekend away at santa pod this weekend..... euro top fuel finals.

20220904_200418.jpg

Well its been a year since I bought my T6, slowly slowly I've been converting her. All electrics done and to my surprise everything works! Still have bed boards to fit and need to find a water and gas supply solution as the cupboards are slim but I'd say she's about 98% complete!

First propper weekend away at santa pod this weekend..... euro top fuel finals.

View attachment 171247
Awesome job, looks great!

Back