What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

I’ve done a bit more to my diesel heater install, wrapped stainless exhaust with lagging and wrapped it with aluminium tape, fitted exhaust , ran the air inlet over the top of the heater, got T piece fitted for front and rear outlets, and got the wiring harness through the big grommet under the seat. Waxoiled all drillings and bolts to the chassis.

John.92B1F4EF-E217-4669-B816-E5939C38846B.jpegC88E9998-34C5-4EBD-8501-94AB090B8252.jpeg70C5F010-17B4-4D13-B3B6-1A82DB6626AB.jpegA6D9FA7A-54B9-43F0-A1ED-A1384222CA0B.jpeg

5C6E8BE5-D08F-4262-9A63-E5AE16F7C4AD.jpeg

Went out in the van and the Ecoflow wasn’t charging from ignition live.

Took the lid off the box where it lives (3x screws), fiddled about with the wires, checked I was getting 13ish volts at the socket and I was.

Plugged it back in and it started charging again, so put it all back together.

Drove the van again later in the day, not charging, so after tea I went back out to check wires again and before I touched anything started engine, looked at the app and it was charging again.

So none the wiser :rolleyes::confused:

A web search shows that some people have had issues with the car charger plug that plugs into the vehicle getting hot/melting and have hard wired an XT60 to bypass the cig lighter socket so might try that.

Definitely on my “I wish want this” list how easy was this to wire in?
Not too bad tbh, I removed the trim around the heater control panel and fed the wires up to the switches. To do this I popped off the passenger side vent, the end cover with the airbag switch on ( don't disconnect). Then the trim above the glovebox pulls out but is still clipped in on the rhs, no problem. The carefully prise out the trim which goes around the heater switches using a trim remover tool. Finally the heater control panel is held in with 4 push in clips which just need pulling out a bit ( you'll understand when you see them). Hope this makes sense!

Not too bad tbh, I removed the trim around the heater control panel and fed the wires up to the switches. To do this I popped off the passenger side vent, the end cover with the airbag switch on ( don't disconnect). Then the trim above the glovebox pulls out but is still clipped in on the rhs, no problem. The carefully prise out the trim which goes around the heater switches using a trim remover tool. Finally the heater control panel is held in with 4 push in clips which just need pulling out a bit ( you'll understand when you see them). Hope this makes sense!
Many thanks :thumbsup: Now off to source a knob:oops:

Went out in the van and the Ecoflow wasn’t charging from ignition live.

Took the lid off the box where it lives (3x screws), fiddled about with the wires, checked I was getting 13ish volts at the socket and I was.

Plugged it back in and it started charging again, so put it all back together.

Drove the van again later in the day, not charging, so after tea I went back out to check wires again and before I touched anything started engine, looked at the app and it was charging again.

So none the wiser :rolleyes::confused:

A web search shows that some people have had issues with the car charger plug that plugs into the vehicle getting hot/melting and have hard wired an XT60 to bypass the cig lighter socket so might try that.

Following on from this - it has happened again where I start the van and the EcoFlow doesn’t start trickle charging. But on another occasion it did - I didn’t touch the unit or any wiring.

At this point I am not yet going to submit ticket to them suggesting it is a faulty unit, but I did discover this in the manual….

0CB2C35F-3FFE-4BB3-B0B5-AC9E43452725.png

Not sure how this reads as it could be interpreted either way but it *could* read that a 12v ignition live (but without the engine running) e.g. just turning on ignition but not starting the van may not be enough for the Ecoflow to detect a charge coming in.

Or it could mean having the Ecoflow connected to the ignition live before starting the van may mean the van battery voltage, due to the Ecoflow load, is not sufficient to crank the engine.

So, maybe I need to install a switch somewhere in the driver seat vicinity so that I can have the ignition live to the Ecoflow switched off until the van is running and then I can switch it on.

Isn’t this what a DC-DC charger does automatically by detecting the increased voltage from the alternator? Starting to think I should have just got a leisure battery install - these solar generator battery banks seem more geared up to solar charging (hence the name I suppose) than charging from the van battery :whistle:

Following on from this - it has happened again where I start the van and the EcoFlow doesn’t start trickle charging. But on another occasion it did - I didn’t touch the unit or any wiring.

At this point I am not yet going to submit ticket to them suggesting it is a faulty unit, but I did discover this in the manual….

View attachment 182109

Not sure how this reads as it could be interpreted either way but it *could* read that a 12v ignition live (but without the engine running) e.g. just turning on ignition but not starting the van may not be enough for the Ecoflow to detect a charge coming in.

Or it could mean having the Ecoflow connected to the ignition live before starting the van may mean the van battery voltage, due to the Ecoflow load, is not sufficient to crank the engine.

So, maybe I need to install a switch somewhere in the driver seat vicinity so that I can have the ignition live to the Ecoflow switched off until the van is running and then I can switch it on.

Isn’t this what a DC-DC charger does automatically by detecting the increased voltage from the alternator? Starting to think I should have just got a leisure battery install - these solar generator battery banks seem more geared up to solar charging (hence the name I suppose) than charging from the van battery :whistle:
I suspect what it means is that the eco flow sees a significant drop in voltage when starting particularly in the cold and the eco flow thinks there is insufficient charge in the vehicle battery and therefore stops the charge cycle. If you plug in once started it should be okay

Removed my sportsline wheels and fitted the original 16 inch wheels with winter tyres which came with the van when I purchased it a few months ago.
Doesn’t look as good but
It makes the ride a lot more comfortable

I’ve done a bit more to my diesel heater install, wrapped stainless exhaust with lagging and wrapped it with aluminium tape, fitted exhaust , ran the air inlet over the top of the heater, got T piece fitted for front and rear outlets, and got the wiring harness through the big grommet under the seat. Waxoiled all drillings and bolts to the chassis.

John.View attachment 181963View attachment 181964View attachment 181965View attachment 181966

View attachment 181967
Today I’ve fired the heater up but no where near finished yet, I put the fuel line into a gallon can of diesel to try the heater out and it fired up second attempt.
I need to fit a permanent connection to my fuel tank, fit the programmer to side wall fit front and rear hot air ducting, refit the drivers seat and swivel and fit plastic under panels back, and I will post more pictures when it stops raining.
John.

Last edited:
Back