What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

As I still haven’t sorted my mood lighting out and am not sure if I will (I like the black darkness when driving on European motorways) I needed a way to find my cupholder on the centre console as I end up banging the coffee mug around chipping the paint

First frier was just a led fitted in place however as I expected it lit my bus up like Amsterdam district.

Added a beer mat from one of my favourite Slovak bars expecting it to just glow around the rim however pleasantly surprised to find it gave a nice centre dot.

Will need to stock up on some spares on next trip over.

IMG_1767.jpeg
IMG_1764.jpeg
IMG_1766.jpeg
IMG_1768.jpeg

What kit did you fit, I done the TIL one yesterday and chose the white colour but it can be red,blue or white

A retractable cupholder from a Renault Laguna I believe.
Who needs to get out more!

Fitted Van X dash and door trims

View attachment 220787
Lovely job

A retractable cupholder from a Renault Laguna I believe.
I caught up with the thread and take it back - you don’t need to get out more. I need to pay more attention!!!

As I still haven’t sorted my mood lighting out and am not sure if I will (I like the black darkness when driving on European motorways) I needed a way to find my cupholder on the centre console as I end up banging the coffee mug around chipping the paint

First frier was just a led fitted in place however as I expected it lit my bus up like Amsterdam district.

Added a beer mat from one of my favourite Slovak bars expecting it to just glow around the rim however pleasantly surprised to find it gave a nice centre dot.

Will need to stock up on some spares on next trip over.

View attachment 220802
View attachment 220800
View attachment 220801
View attachment 220799
Euro trip not required - there are also bars in the UK one can visit and leave with a glowing rim!

Just don’t know why I insist on DIY’ing everything instead of paying experts to do stuff for me :rolleyes:

Still not happy with my audio upgrades.…

Removed the passenger seat again this morning to continue to mess about with the DSP and Amplifier under the seat, got annoyed with the swivel base so removed that as it hasn’t been used much - at least I can now get to the equipment by pushing the seat all the way forward.

Managed to scratch the top of the DSP - what with I don’t know :confused:

Sun was so low it was glaring into the van and blinding me whilst trying to do anything.

Got the hump and came indoors again.

Just don’t know why I insist on DIY’ing everything instead of paying experts to do stuff for me :rolleyes:

Still not happy with my audio upgrades.…

Removed the passenger seat again this morning to continue to mess about with the DSP and Amplifier under the seat, got annoyed with the swivel base so removed that as it hasn’t been used much - at least I can now get to the equipment by pushing the seat all the way forward.

Managed to scratch the top of the DSP - what with I don’t know :confused:

Sun was so low it was glaring into the van and blinding me whilst trying to do anything.

Got the hump and came indoors again.
I know this feeling and have lived it the last few days. This week it’s been a nightmare trying to remove terminals from connectors without damaging them beyond repair. Also, I’ve found the lowered seat base doesn’t work with the sportscraft swivel and the VAG car seat adapters. The combination is too low for the increased width so they hit the b-pillar and no amount of modding the adapters will give me enough clearance. Really annoying when you’ve bought new bases, swivel, adapters and seats just to find the combination won’t work. Pricey lesson that means I’ll end up fabricating a custom swivel. More expense!

One thing I always tell myself is this is me learning at the same time I’m getting something done. Also, while the cost/quote is normally fine when getting a professional to do it, you can’t be sure the work is how you’d like it done, and sometimes the lead times to get stuff booked in are just crazy long. Great news for good trades that they’re busy but frustrating when you want to get something done and enjoy it.

Anyway, I always enjoy reading what others are doing on here and the thought process you’re going though when deciding on mods or upgrades. If everything went to an expert this forum would be a quiet place… so keep going please!

Well as I have mostly Victron stuff in my camper I thought I would like a full display of the system. Then problems appeared........ the cost of the Victron touch screen 50 is..... £199.00 and the cerbo GX controller is..... £200.00. Wife states "your having a laugh"....... Back to drawing board:
1 x old rasberry pi 4b found in a tool box in garage
1 x rasberry pi 5in screen (bought from amazon)
1 x Victron software (free) for rasberry pi: raspberrypi install venus image
2 x Victron Energy VE.Direct to USB (bought from amazon)
1 x 2 meter HDMI cable found behind TV not used
1 x 2 meter USB Type A to Mini B (for screen)
1 x ethernet cable (to mini router in camper)
4 hours of my time......
Total cost..... a lot less than £400.00

Flashing raspberry was simple. Fitting in campervan took most of the time as had to connect VE.Direct cables to solar controller and smart shunt.

Pictures:
IMG_3485.jpeg
Above: The raspberry pi is fitted in rear cupboard out of the way. Tight squeeze to get cables across van to raspberry pi, but got there.
IMG_3477.jpeg
Above: The screen is touch so can zoom around the battery, solar etc or as I find I just leave it on this screen. When on EHU (not very often) the "green box" shows power coming in from charger or when driving the same box shows the DC to DC charger pushing 30amps in as well as solar panel "yellow box"
IMG_3479.jpeg
Above: The screen was the hardest thing to fit as did not want it to look out of place or cut into the wood panel. In the end fitted the cables behind panel and stuck the screen on. I/we (wife thinks it's great now!!!) can now see state of battery etc all the time and this helps lots when using inverter to see whats going out in amps.... Screen can be switch off when not needed.

The best thing I think is remotely seeing state of charge etc... when not near camper. So when parked up I can connect via computer at home to the controller and see it all.

Is it worth it? perhaps not for everyone, but better than using the phone to check battery, check solar, check EHU etc etc etc. All on one screen.

Well as I have mostly Victron stuff in my camper I thought I would like a full display of the system. Then problems appeared........ the cost of the Victron touch screen 50 is..... £199.00 and the cerbo GX controller is..... £200.00. Wife states "your having a laugh"....... Back to drawing board:
4 hours of my time......

Flashing raspberry was simple. Fitting in campervan took most of the time as had to connect VE.Direct cables to solar controller and smart shunt.

Pictures:
View attachment 221175
Above: The raspberry pi is fitted in rear cupboard out of the way. Tight squeeze to get cables across van to raspberry pi, but got there.
View attachment 221177
Above: The screen is touch so can zoom around the battery, solar etc or as I find I just leave it on this screen. When on EHU (not very often) the "green box" shows power coming in from charger or when driving the same box shows the DC to DC charger pushing 30amps in as well as solar panel "yellow box"
View attachment 221178
Above: The screen was the hardest thing to fit as did not want it to look out of place or cut into the wood panel. In the end fitted the cables behind panel and stuck the screen on. I/we (wife thinks it's great now!!!) can now see state of battery etc all the time and this helps lots when using inverter to see whats going out in amps.... Screen can be switch off when not needed.

The best thing I think is remotely seeing state of charge etc... when not near camper. So when parked up I can connect via computer at home to the controller and see it all.

Is it worth it? perhaps not for everyone, but better than using the phone to check battery, check solar, check EHU etc etc etc. All on one screen.
Brilliant John. Programming my wife though, to switch the screen on when she fills a kettle for one cup of tea on the induction hob, will be a challenge!

Brilliant John. Programming my wife though, to switch the screen on when she fills a kettle for one cup of tea on the induction hob, will be a challenge!
No need I leave the screen on all day without touching it I see whatever is going on battery wise, we only use an induction hub now (gas cooker never gets used), but thank you.

4 hours of my time......

Pictures:
View attachment 221175
View attachment 221177
View attachment 221178

was contemplating using one of my RPIs for a similar config but as you say the phone does the same thing. There must be alternative uses but i cannot think of any at the mo

today i finished fitting my Alpine SPC108T6s. May not have my Bowers & Wilkins 705 s3 sound but still the tweeters are bringing out more top end detail and the mids giving a broader sound.
Very straightforward, once i understood how to remove and reset the door card clips.

Subwoofer next? Bigger job and inclined to go for the JBL pro nano

'Ghostie' is happy but there again he/she/they, always is/are

IMG_5282.jpeg

Last edited:
Back