What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

I know I was pleasantly surprised! The XS definitely helps matters! At least I know I won’t have an issue getting a solar controller in there too
It's surprising what fits even with the 230Ah, you just need to be (much!) more careful with space.

MPPT 100/20 (anything bigger won't fit)
Orion XS
Smart shunt
Cerbo GX (to be fitted but it will go in behind the Orion)
2x 4 way fuse boxes
2x isolator switches (one big, one small)
And associated busbars, distribution boxes etc.
1000008872.jpg

I was hoping to use the hot pin method to make the pilot holes, as I don't trust myself to be within 10' of the van with a drill in my hand!
Pin drill :thumbsup:

It's surprising what fits even with the 230Ah, you just need to be (much!) more careful with space.

MPPT 100/20 (anything bigger won't fit)
Orion XS
Smart shunt
Cerbo GX (to be fitted but it will go in behind the Orion)
2x 4 way fuse boxes
2x isolator switches (one big, one small)
And associated busbars, distribution boxes etc.
View attachment 246887
I’m new to all this, but planning ahead for replacing the split charger. What does the smart shunt do? I thought battery monitoring was built into the Orion XS? Do you need both?

An external shunt can measure the current in and out of the battery to get a fairly accurate measurement of charge, plus it's very easy to see how much load is on your system.

Is it essential? if you have a good BMS with monitoring and a good charger with monitoring, no; but if you like knowing what's going on in your system and you intend doing a lot of off grid the more information the better, yes.

I’m new to all this, but planning ahead for replacing the split charger. What does the smart shunt do? I thought battery monitoring was built into the Orion XS? Do you need both?

An external shunt can measure the current in and out of the battery to get a fairly accurate measurement of charge, plus it's very easy to see how much load is on your system.

Is it essential if you have a good BMS with monitoring and a good charger with monitoring, no, but if you like knowing what's going on in your system and you intend doing a lot of off grid the more information the better.
Basically that ^^

The DC-DC (Orion XS) doesn't know what the state of charge of the battery is, the only thing that knows that is the battery BMS and the Victron Shunt as it measures everything going in and out of the battery.

1000008959.png

Thanks @roadtripper and @TallPaul_S . I have the diesel heater outlet and Hillside split charge setup under my drivers seat, so was hoping for as few items under there as possible, but it looks like a smart shunt maybe on my shopping list. I already have the Orion inbound.

Got my CTEK 250 se working again and took the opportunity to install a new bus bar and tidy things up as best I can.IMG_6658.jpeg
Then I finished polishing it.

Don’t need to do the front as it’s going in to be painted on Monday to get rid of the stone chips and bumper scuff that I did while on holiday.
Bonnet, bumper and blended into the front wings.
Just need to get the front splitter off tomorrow and it’s good to go.

Got the leisure battery kit in and working - plenty of space for future solar project. Also trimmed the passenger seat base trim/cover to make it work with a swivel.

IMG_0392.jpeg

IMG_0393.jpeg
Edit*

final picture with everything tidy, terminal covers on and closed cell foam keeping the battery snug before the seat goes back on.

IMG_0395.jpeg

Last edited:
Back