What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

@GruB. I feel for you. Someone (probably yesterday, French and in a SuperU car park) seems to have given my rear bumper a 'gentle nudge'. No paint damage but when we got back to the campsite I noticed that a small gap had appeared between the bumper and body. I pushed it back into place but it still seems a bit loose. Hopefully no tabs/clips (or whatever they are) are broken but that investigation can wait until we get home from this trip. What I do know is that it's a newish replacement bumper and I'll be mighty peed off if it's actually broken anywhere!

Turned the automatic rain sensor off, because it was driving me crazy :mad:
Had it on my previous (2013) vehicle, and turned it off, but was hopeful that 10 years on it might have improved. Nope!

According to the official blurb, you can choose different settings, depending on how sensitive you want the rain sensor to be, but I haven't got as far as finding out how exactly, and more to the point, why would I bother? For nearly 40 years I've had exactly zero problem figuring out when I need the wipers to clear the screen, and with a miniscule flick of a finger have never failed to achieve that. A case of a solution to a problem that never existed?
Auto-wipers can be a bit of a pain. I hear Tesla have found a way to defeat you though. Wipers are controlled from a menu on the big tablet.
To be fair, some tech advancements I have found to be genuinely worthwhile. Auto lights I like and would miss, and auto folding door mirrors have probably saved at least many scratches and probably worse. I rarely used the cruise control on my last vehicle, on account of rarely finding a long enough traffic-free stretch of road to bother. First time using it in my T6.1 I freaked out a bit when it seemed to have a mind of it's own - until later (on insistence by SWMBO :whistle:) when reading the manual I discovered that, yes, indeed ADAPTIVE cruise control effectively does have a mind of it's own! Who knew?! Now I love it, and recently drove from Lincolnshire to Merseyside with almost no right foot intervention at all (on a Sunday, I should add!)
Auto lights are one of the worst, as so many drivers don't realise that they are dependent upon light levels and don't respond to poor visibility situations such as fog, snow, rain, etc. I've not used ACC, but I do like selectable speed limiters

Auto-wipers can be a bit of a pain. I hear Tesla have found a way to defeat you though. Wipers are controlled from a menu on the big tablet.

Auto lights are one of the worst, as so many drivers don't realise that they are dependent upon light levels and don't respond to poor visibility situations such as fog, snow, rain, etc. I've not used ACC, but I do like selectable speed limiters
At least the VW auto lights work with the wipers, in that if the window wipers have been on for a minute or so, the lights will automatically turn on.

It's just fog that is main issue, there's always someone in a grey car in the fog with just their DRL's on and no rear lights at all!

Dug the trailer out of the garage as not used it in 2 years. First time towing with the Caravelle so had a few dry runs with the removable towbar and a couple of local trips to check everything is turning fine.

First run was very mechanically noisy but turned out both the tow ball and hitch were almost dry, much better on the second run with some weight in the trailer and fresh grease.

Off to help run an event for a friend so I'm exploiting thier field to go and play with camping options before we try it as a family. So have the van awning, the 4 berth tent, the tent awning, the goodnight pack for the van and my 12v Trailer Socket EHU system.

I was going to try and build the solar trailer socket version, all the parts arrived this morning but looking at the weather I think maybe not.

20240710_204143.JPG

Dug the trailer out of the garage as not used it in 2 years. First time towing with the Caravelle so had a few dry runs with the removable towbar and a couple of local trips to check everything is turning fine.

First run was very mechanically noisy but turned out both the tow ball and hitch were almost dry, much better on the second run with some weight in the trailer and fresh grease.

Off to help run an event for a friend so I'm exploiting thier field to go and play with camping options before we try it as a family. So have the van awning, the 4 berth tent, the tent awning, the goodnight pack for the van and my 12v Trailer Socket EHU system.

I was going to try and build the solar trailer socket version, all the parts arrived this morning but looking at the weather I think maybe not.

View attachment 250190
Looks good but you should consider getting the trailer wrapped in indium grey p'raps. Enjoy the field training hehe

Looks good but you should consider getting the trailer wrapped in indium grey p'raps. Enjoy the field training hehe
Yeah grey would be nice and I did wonder but it's a fibreglass top, lets light in and the "hump" holds the roller shutter clear and also has the number plate. Also the sides are well mastic sealed but does mean there is a bead between the flat panel and the metal angle.

I've been looking at the Tickners Trailers as you can get those in grey with a solid roof and bars to put a roof tent on (inspired by @Jamiedh who I think has one) but it's hard contemplating getting another decent brand trailer when you already have one...

You say you 'dug it out' - I think you meant you took off the dust sheets and brushed a speck of dust off that had somehow been trapped underneath. Looks immaculately clean. :D
I 'dug out' some scaffolding yesterday to fix father's guttering. I literally dug it out and removed the ivy that was attached and then covered myself in green slime that was on the aluminium.

Well last night after it was sat in sun most of the day I had to open the boot. Oh wow yeh that isnt going to be fair on my awesome Greyhound and I have rammed soft items into the gaps so no airflow at all.

So off to SF I went this morning at 7am to MacGyver a solution.......

Still got full visibility out of mirror and no impact on the side window view. Dont worry my son isnt sitting in the seat for the journey......now back to return the excess items I didnt need
.WhatsApp Image 2024-07-11 at 07.44.26_2f11c001.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-07-11 at 07.44.26_5bc0607b.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-07-11 at 07.44.26_63f40dda.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-07-11 at 07.56.24_51526c9b.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-07-11 at 08.06.50_567fcec9.jpg

You say you 'dug it out' - I think you meant you took off the dust sheets and brushed a speck of dust off that had somehow been trapped underneath.
You haven't seen my garage, I expected to find Dr Livingstone and a lost civilization by the time I got to the trailer...

I try and look after stuff, or as MrsRT would say "being too damn precious about things"

After reading a thread about a Lumpy Idle - which I didn’t have before I read the thread but subsequently convinced myself that I actually might do - I popped a bottle of this Injector Cleaner in to cure the problem (yes, the problem that I created in my head).

Now the van seems to sound & feel way better than it ever has before! (Or am I imagining that too?)

And so another normal day on the T6 Forum comes to an end :thumbsup:

IMG_6429.jpeg

Back