What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

A while ago, I noticed that the van had developed a loud and very annoying vibration induced buzzing noise (particularly in 1st and 2nd)but it went away and I forgot about it. The bloody thing came back again shortly after we drove out of the tunnel in Calais on our way to the South of France last month and we had to put up with it throughout the whole trip. My Mrs and I thought that it was coming from different places but I was convinced it was somewhere in the centre of the dash. Anyway, this morning I took the stereo out and had a look at the snakes nest of cables behind it and wound up wrapping a few things like aerial connectors, main connection block and GPS receiver in cloth tape before putting it all back together again. Went for a test drive and it seems like job done - here's hoping that it doesn't come back as Mrs AJ will doubtless remind me about how smug I was that I'd located it properly!

Last edited:
After taking a leaf out of Lees book and being informed I'm losing the cloud based feed from the Blackvue I decided to have a play with a Ring Cam. To be fair I'm happy with the results. And on a pan & tilt base so can swivel around to the back if needed. Added a 12v to 5v convertor for power so it is permanently wired now. Tidied the wiring and looks good I think.

20240720_152756.jpg

Screenshot_20240720_152733_Ring.jpg

20240720_165226.jpg

Screenshot_20240720_165535_Ring.jpg

After taking a leaf out of Lees book and being informed I'm losing the cloud based feed from the Blackvue I decided to have a play with a Ring Cam. To be fair I'm happy with the results. And on a pan & tilt base so can swivel around to the back if needed. Added a 12v to 5v convertor for power so it is permanently wired now. Tidied the wiring and looks good I think.

View attachment 251394
Is that Carbon monoxide alarm any good? was going to get one myself but seen mixed reviews on Amazon.

Started work on fitting my inverter, the mounting plywood base has a few slots and holes to allow the loom connectors to sit behind the inverter, and for the cables to enter into the seat base.

1000009702.jpg
1000009703.jpg

I'll need to remove the seat and lift the battery to wire it in but I also need to route in a 5m ethernet cable so I'll do all that at the same time!

Every vehicle I've owned in the last 15 years has needed a new windscreen within the first couple of months. So annoying.
I’m sure they are using thinner glass screens to save weight for emissions, I bet it’s costing triple the pollution and resources, time, money etc having to replace them, I guess Auto glass are very happy

Also just fitted a new lower sliding door roller in about 30 mins start to finish...

1000009704.jpg
The old bearing has basically exploded!
My passenger sliding door now opens properly!

Also just had some autoglym super resin polish delivered, I've heard some good things, and I have some scratches on my roof I'll have a go at with an old electric polisher before fitting my roof rack.

Thought I'd give it quick go just by hand on a couple of bad scratches on my driver's door:

Before
1000009711.jpg
After
1000009707.jpg

Close up: it's removed/concealed a fair few of the lighter scratches, of course it can't work miracles by hand but I'm impressed.
1000009713.jpg
1000009714.jpg

Last edited:
Back