What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Not so much "today"; It's been a while in the making...

I've been messing with a CNC design for a bed platform (150cm wide by 200cm long) that I can also sit on and work at a table. I also wanted it to have a sliding storage drawer, a side table, and the ability to have just one side as a full bed (75cm x 200cm) so I could sleep in it with my mountain bike, surfboard, paddle board etc on the other side. All that and I wanted it to bolt into the four tie-downs as I have a rubber floor I didn't want to replace with ply/altro...

After much messing with ply I finally settled on a version to get CNC cut rather than my hacking at things with a circular saw and jigsaw...

CleanShot 2024-08-21 at 20.52.59@2x.pngCleanShot 2024-08-21 at 20.52.31@2x.png

Ignore the colours, it's just to separate parts for easy identification. I designed it to make the whole thing from 2 sheets of 2440x1220 (18mm) ply with a 93% yield, avoiding as much waste as possible in an early prototype. (The drawer system is 12mm ply so not included in the 2 sheets).

I had it all ready for a trip to Belgium with my cousin to watch the F1...

CleanShot 2024-08-21 at 21.00.31@2x.png
CleanShot 2024-08-21 at 21.00.46@2x.png

Today I took some extra pictures to share with Kiravans. Barry very kindly sent me an extra table leg mount and top plate for free on the agreement that I'd send him some pictures of the table leg mounted on the back bed system rather than on the standard B-pillar install location. I originally called to ask if I could buy an extra mount separately, but I don't think Kiravans are quite there yet with being able to offer the mount for sale separately. Amazing generosity and I guess some pics of my van will eventually be on the Kiravans site :) and hopefully they will sell mounts separately for folks who want to do the same.

CleanShot 2024-08-21 at 21.01.18@2x.png

Really happy with the prototype and planning to try it out in either hexaply or ekoply after a few more refinements.

Not so much "today"; It's been a while in the making...

I've been messing with a CNC design for a bed platform (150cm wide by 200cm long) that I can also sit on and work at a table. I also wanted it to have a sliding storage drawer, a side table, and the ability to have just one side as a full bed (75cm x 200cm) so I could sleep in it with my mountain bike, surfboard, paddle board etc on the other side. All that and I wanted it to bolt into the four tie-downs as I have a rubber floor I didn't want to replace with ply/altro...

After much messing with ply I finally settled on a version to get CNC cut rather than my hacking at things with a circular saw and jigsaw...

View attachment 256142View attachment 256143

Ignore the colours, it's just to separate parts for easy identification. I designed it to make the whole thing from 2 sheets of 2440x1220 (18mm) ply with a 93% yield, avoiding as much waste as possible in an early prototype. (The drawer system is 12mm ply so not included in the 2 sheets).

I had it all ready for a trip to Belgium with my cousin to watch the F1...

View attachment 256149
View attachment 256150

Today I took some extra pictures to share with Kiravans. Barry very kindly sent me an extra table leg mount and top plate for free on the agreement that I'd send him some pictures of the table leg mounted on the back bed system rather than on the standard B-pillar install location. I originally called to ask if I could buy an extra mount separately, but I don't think Kiravans are quite there yet with being able to offer the mount for sale separately. Amazing generosity and I guess some pics of my van will eventually be on the Kiravans site :) and hopefully they will sell mounts separately for folks who want to do the same.

View attachment 256151

Really happy with the prototype and planning to try it out in either hexaply or ekoply after a few more refinements.
That's pretty awesome and kinda good of KV too.

May I use your design/concept to make my van bed on friday? I get it if you don't wanna send me PDF's but I'd like to have a go at making it. Am picking up two 15mm 8x4 sheets on friday for floor and two 18mm for the bed...

Very well done regardless, that's an awesome build

That's pretty awesome and kinda good of KV too.

May I use your design/concept to make my van bed on friday? I get it if you don't wanna send me PDF's but I'd like to have a go at making it. Am picking up two 15mm 8x4 sheets on friday for floor and two 18mm for the bed...

Very well done regardless, that's an awesome build
Sure you can absolutely use it as a starting point. As I mentioned, I have a few refinement ideas in mind and you may not need the same level of access from the top so don’t need so many individual pieces for the bed platform if you’re happy making some bigger hinged sections or just always access through the rear door(s).

Mine currently has four extendable legs fitted to the extension piece and it’s fixed in place with Velcro straps. I’d like to design floating supports or use more metal drawer runners but was undecided which direction to go and needed something ready for the Grand Prix.

A major constraint I had was wanting to sit comfortably on the platform and I don’t have a pop top. I’m 6’3” with short legs so you can imagine I needed a low platform so I didn’t have my neck bent the whole time. That’s why the upright sections are only 376 high. I can still fit multiple ikea Samla tubs under the bed platform, plus an Alpicool fridge and apparently a trelino toilet if I ever choose to pull the trigger on buying one.

Happy to chat more via DM if you have questions.

Here’s a picture of how I initially planned to fit everything into two sheets, which is probably a good starting point for you…

2-sheets.png

Today's job was making a start on the van sound deadening. Top panels including top of back doors done. Next lower panels.

View attachment 256195

View attachment 256196

View attachment 256197
Have a read of this /watch the video before you do the lower panels.

Am picking up two 15mm 8x4 sheets on friday for floor
15mm is pretty thick for the floor. Most people use 12mm, I’ve gone for 9mm. That thickness may cause issues when it comes to fitting new side step and rear threshold cover. Plus there’s a considerable weight increase.

Have a read of this /watch the video before you do the lower panels.

Will do mate cheers. I know they say only up to 50% per panel is enough but I prefer the overkill method

Will do mate cheers. I know they say only up to 50% per panel is enough but I prefer the overkill method
Make sure you have some left to do under the skuttle - I wish I'd been sent extra by Kiravans but they supply the very least with sound deadening and insulation - haven't finished carpet lining yet so can't comment. I have 15m left of window edge trim so not sure what they were thinking with that

Reactions: CAB
Make sure you have some left to do under the skuttle - I wish I'd been sent extra by Kiravans but they supply the very least with sound deadening and insulation - haven't finished carpet lining yet so can't comment. I have 15m left of window edge trim so not sure what they were thinking with that
I'm going to have to watch some videos on the shuttle deadening as I see people keep mentioning this. I got the sound deadening on sale but I see lots of people saying don't bother with the floor either.

I'm going to have to watch some videos on the shuttle deadening as I see people keep mentioning this. I got the sound deadening on sale but I see lots of people saying don't bother with the floor either.
You don't need the 2/3mm vinyl stuff on the floor. But I would use the thicker sound absorber / thermal layer

Sick of the Disklok sliding around in the footwell… so I spent an hour making a very ad hock temporary solution whilst I plan the build. Screwed it to the hardboard panel and even managed to find some paint in the shed that’s almost the same unpleasant colour as the interior.

IMG_0249.jpeg

IMG_0250.jpeg

Back