Where Have You Been In Your Van Today?

I was also at Beach Dubbin down at Southsea, Portsmouth. Took the whole family although wife and youngest went to the splash park while the rest of us had a wander around. Was a bit bigger than I was expecting, weather held out really well too. The man with a (Transit) van selling stickers was doing pretty well it seemed. Some lovely cars around, watched the Andrei Burton bike show too

Reactions: CAB
I loved visiting Southwold when we loved in East Angular ( ;) ) . A children's BBC program with one of the Likely Lads was filmed in places there. All the houses looked immaculate though leading us to think over half were second homes.

Parked up at a cozy little compartment in Sodankylä Finland tonight as an impostor pretending to be a real motor home. Domestic travelling for me but still pretty far up north. Nice 24C at 9pm and to my great surprise, no midges at all!

IMG_3970.jpeg
IMG_3971.jpeg

if your anything like me the first reaction will be 'why didnt I do this before' and the second reaction would be to go on a shopping spree for camping essentials. Top of my list was a solar fit, a drive away awning and an fly screen for the side door. Have fun.

oh no forgot to say VIP membership to the forum was top of my list. Soz @Dellmassive and @Pauly
My wife bought Cushions lots and lots of Cushions

For the record MrsR is a valued member of the Roadtripper team, there are considerably more than 2 things going on with younguns wrangling...

( Please don't ask me if having the younguns onboard meet that criteria :whistle: )

So a bit of a north of England roadtrip for a long weekend this time.

We stopped at the Crich National Tramway Museum on the way up on Friday and on the way back on Monday. We tend to try and break our journey at a museum, heritage railway or similar rather than a service station. It's a nicer break and grabbing some grub from the cafe tends to be nicer food and feels like you're supporting something.

It's not a static museum of exhibits, they try and keep as much of the collection as possible running so it's got a big depot and a reconstruction of cobbled high street. The ticket lasts a year and you can ride trams all day. There is a great playground and woodland walk as well. Pretty much each day different trams will be out.

20230807_160430.JPG20230804_112118.JPG20230804_130652.JPG

Saturday and Sunday was a visit to Beamish Open Air Museum. It's an incredible place that myself and MrsR fell in love with many years ago, you really do need to get the annual ticket and spend at least a couple of days or more as the site is so huge and there is so much to see.

There are areas through the ages 1820s Pockerley, 1900s Town, 1900s Pit Village, 1940s Farm, 1950s Town and 1950s Spain’s Field Farm and a brilliant bit of foresight the massive site started with a tramway and road system so you can travel around the different areas by getting a vintage tram or vintage buses from different ages. There are even some of the vintage buses that have been very subtly adapted to have rear lifts so those folks that need wheel chairs can also get about.

Many of the buildings have folks in period dress to tell you about things and much of the museum is hands on exploring not things on display. I can strongly recommend the Pit Village chippy - straight forward fish and chips but done in beef dripping on a coal fired range - they're excellent.

20230805_162725.JPG20230805_104310.JPG

Honourable mention also to Locomotion, which is the second site for the National Railway Museum in York. Originally more of a storage site it's now much more of a second museum. It's not far off the main routes (it's in Shildon) and it's free entry so one of my regular "not a service station" break stops.

20230806_154109.JPG20230806_160416.JPG

Back