Where Have You Been In Your Van Today?

Pencelli Castle, about 5 miles away from Brecon.

loved the look of this site BUT no dogs allowed

Yeah I'm not sure on the reason for no dogs, there's supposedly a lot of wildlife around the site so that might be why.

Not an issue for me, obviously!

We're now at Camping Riva Bella in Ouistreham (near Caen). We've stayed here a couple of times in the past as it's a good base for the WW2 sites in Normandy but when we came here last year it was closed for refurbishment. Arriving yesterday, we discovered the what was a large site with plenty of camping pitches has now joined the cult of the wooden cabin and they have now taken over an awful lot of the place. That wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't switched off / disconnected most of the drinking water points scattered around (but left the taps themselves in situ!) - IMHO they've generally made us campers seem like second class citizens. This has always been a very good midway point for us on the way back to Calais but I suspect we will be looking for an alternative at some point before the next visit to this part of the world. Sorry, I couldn't be arsed to take a picture.

Further to my post #10,505, we drove up to Calais from Caen on Monday morning and pitched at Camping Fort du Lapin for a couple of days. It's a simple site which we've used before but was very busy - if you wanted a pitch with electricity there was no chance but there were quite a few pitches available without which did us for a couple of days. We both thought that some of the facilities had been refurbished since we were last there and at €20 per night (and that's without ACSI/CC) it was a bargain particularly as it's quite close to Calais centre ville (I estimate about 4Km along pavements and footpaths). Also there's a FREE public bus service into town with runs once an hour from 0700 to 1900 (ish) from just opposite the site entrance (twice at peak times) and back - I can't help thinking sometimes that the French get some stuff far better than here in the UK where public transport and parking (which is most often free in French towns) often costs a small fortune. It's almost as if they ask themselves 'how do we get people to come into town' rather that 'how much money can we make from people coming into town'.
Anyhow, we came through to Folkestone on Wednesday morning and drove thew 190 odd miles home in Gloucestershire - it was almost as if we saw more traffic in that single journey than on the whole run from Calais down the the South of France and back. For certain, there was a hell of a lot more road works - it felt like the the entire stretch from the tunnel until we turned off the M25 for Bracknell was one long road work. The most annoying part was the severe lack of people actually doing any work!
Just got to book the tunnel for our trip to Greece at the end of next month - ferries Ancona to Patras and return already done.

Last edited:
Arrived on Wednesday at Mill Lane Campsite in Porthleven, Cornwall. The site is clean and basic. EHU, simple toilet and wash block with 2 toilets and 3 showers (for the guys). They've always been spotlessly clean despite being attached to the pub on the site. 4 nights here then we're moving on to Merrose Farm CAMC at Portscatho before ultimately heading to the T6F summer camp. There have been quite a few T6 on site. The weather has changed today, it was lovely when we arrived and on Thursday, cooler yesterday and chucking it down today. Here's us when the sun was out:

IMG_4221.jpeg

IMG_4222.jpeg

Took it to Monstervdub to get the carpet fitted to metal framework. I attempted it myself this morning and after freaking out the neighbours with naval language and flying socket sets, thought it best to let the professionals do it before I pop a blood vessel

How are the facilities? ;)I stopped here had a fantastic time, hippies and a guitar who played a good tune, a few pints and a meal in the Pack Horse pub with the other campers stopping there, and a bad head in the morning, never seen a camp site like absolutely brilliant
A bit rustic, but serviceable :thumbsup:

We're now on site at Merrose Farm CAMC site. The site looks great, we have a level pitch and we're all set up. We're much better organised for these next 4 days than the last - lessons learned. Unfortunately I wasn't able to book any sunshine. We've got a much longer walk than the last site in Porthleven to get to the sea. We'll take a look on Tuesday perhaps when there is a chance of the big yellow thing making a guest appearance in the sky (maybe it's saving itself for the T6F summer camp ).

IMG_4269.jpeg

IMG_4270.jpeg

Back