Where Have You Been In Your Van Today?

Finally home... Probably just under 3000 miles in all. Seen some amazing places I would have never got to see along the way. Did Airbnb on the way out but Ibis and Novotel on the way back, both were great ways but the Airbnb were a bit more interesting but did generally take us off of our route and add extra miles but worth it.
On the way back we had a night in the Novotel Thalassa right on the beach which was amazing
PXL_20240816_081056249.MP.jpg
Then had a day walking around the town. If you ever end up in La Touquet I would highly recommend finding this rotisserie shop. Amazing sausages, chicken, pork, potatoes... We went here nearly 12 years ago and had to find it again!
PXL_20240816_091601629.MP.jpg
Then had a brief stop off along the coast at Plage d'Hardelot before heading to the train

PXL_20240816_134820699.MP.jpg

Screenshot_20240817-105954.png

The family seem to already be planning the next time we do it....

Last edited:
Yep, just looking back at my Facebook posts, 500 miles in a day!

I did 3000 miles on the bike over 2 and a bit weeks!
I would definitely recommend the toll tags, makes life so much easier. Obviously all the toll machines are on the left! So you will either need a passenger or a lot of running round the van

I would definitely recommend the toll tags, makes life so much easier. Obviously all the toll machines are on the left! So you will either need a passenger or a lot of running round the van
I was thinking about that, but surely in a T6 you can just slide over to the passenger seat (with the window down, seat belt unbuckled, arm rest up) when you come to a toll booth?

The tags are quite expensive for the little that I'll be using the peage routes.

I was thinking about that, but surely in a T6 you can just slide over to the passenger seat (with the window down, seat belt unbuckled, arm rest up) when you come to a toll booth?

The tags are quite expensive for the little that I'll be using the peage routes.
I pay €10 a year for the membership and it's €7 for the calendar months you use it. We found them really handy as the auto tolls were always less busy too

I pay €10 a year for the membership and it's €7 for the calendar months you use it. We found them really handy as the auto tolls were always less busy too
Is that the emovis tag?

€40 initial cost, but tbh just looking at my initial day/few hours drive from Calais and it's already a €24 toll so with tolls probably being a couple of hundred over the 3 weeks it's not a big deal.

I'm also right on the cusp of 2m height (not including the roof rack) so hopefully still sneak through as class 1!

Edit: le shuttle have a deal so I can save the €10 registration fee here

Last edited:
What a trip!

I’ve spent a couple of weeks getting through 500+ pages of this thread and what an inspiration! I’ve gone from 2024 to 2016 and seen both seasons and owners come and go.

The ‘Covid years’ were a stark reminder of the confusion and anger that seemed to envelope us all as we came to terms (or not!) with the changing restrictions.

It was also interesting to see how far camera phones have improved over the years and how the simplicity of getting away and enjoying an adventure has remained.

My van gets converted in the coming weeks and I couldn’t be happier. I’ve saved the details of every location and look forward to ticking them off in the years to come.

Fantastic thread!

Is that the emovis tag?

€40 initial cost, but tbh just looking at my initial day/few hours drive from Calais and it's already a €24 toll so with tolls probably being a couple of hundred over the 3 weeks it's not a big deal.

I'm also right on the cusp of 2m height (not including the roof rack) so hopefully still sneak through as class 1!

Edit: le shuttle have a deal so I can save the €10 registration fee here

Definitely worth having one. It’s worth shopping around too. I’ve had a ATMB tag for about 15 years and it costs nothing except €2/month if it is used in that month. It was free to get too but that may have changed in recent years.

The only downside is the worry when approaching the first roll of the new season and wondering if it will still work!

Definitely worth having one. It’s worth shopping around too. I’ve had a ATMB tag for about 15 years and it costs nothing except €2/month if it is used in that month. It was free to get too but that may have changed in recent years.

The only downside is the worry when approaching the first roll of the new season and wondering if it will still work!
Yeah I've ordered one with the discount you get from LeShuttle. Should make things easier when it's 11pm and I'm blatting down the autoroutes (at 65mph...) :D

Returned from 2 weeks in Camping La Cote d'Argent, Hourtin Plage, France. Fantastic site (3rd visit since 2020), great weather, and a good number of T6s around site. Plenty of paddle boarding, body boarding, surfing, cycling ... and great food consumed. Another highlight was spectating the flip flop flipping tournament in Lacanau!

IMG_2374.jpegIMG_2356.jpeg

Sorry no pictures as I've had other things on my mind (a couple of issues with the van that I've posted elsewhere!) but we left Gloucestershire on Monday morning for Le Shuttle and on arriving early was told that all bookings had at least a 90 minute delay - in the event, it wasn't as bad as that and we arrived at Camping Fort du Lapin on the outskirts of Calais in time to to get the last but one pitch which was without electricity but that was no problem for us. Given that we're in high season, I reckon the place is a real bargain at €22. We moved on to one night at Camping Le Lac d'Orient (by a lake about 5 miles from Troyes) at the high season price of €45 but it was packed and that's probably about average given the date so was good value. We're now at Camping Les Columbieres in Neydens (at a guess, about 10 miles from Geneva but still in France and the same price but without electricity). A walk just down the roads from the site gives a view of Geneva and the lake. Touch wood, we should be through The Mont Blanc Tunnel and into Italy tomorrow after which it's Ancona and a ferry to Patras, Greece on Tuesday.

Last edited:
Back