Where Have You Been In Your Van Today?

Yeah I'll do a mix, Waze is great as it gives the toll cost on the route so you can see how much it'll be.

I'm probably going to aim for a late(ish) Eurotunnel on the Sunday evening, then putting in a few hours on the autoroute to an Aire just outside Sees, then onto La Rochelle the next day, trying to avoid peage roads.

I've not driven the van on the continent but I've done thousands of miles in France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Austria on motorbikes over the years.

I rode from Switzerland to Kent in a single day at the end of a trip once! The autoroutes are great for that
A single day... That's hard core.
The Van has been amazing, never missed a beat and has been great to drive. Off on the next leg to La Touquet today

4500 @AeonMach ? Wow! Our Skye trip totalled 1400 miles, mostly in the rain!
We left Glencoe and ended up behind an obvious tourist on the A82, glorious sunny day up there. As we are approaching Inverarnan a dark blue Seat Cupra coming towards us, veers on to our side of the road and hits the nice blue ineffectual MG Phev head on, well offside light to offside light sending the Cupra spinning past us, shrapnel everywhere, dodge the flying wheel. Both new rental cars piloted by American tourists.
Florence Nightingale the 2nd (my Mrs) was out of the van in a flash making sure the people were in one piece. and amazingly there were no serious injuries, all airbags deployed and both cars absolutely totalled. Credit given to the car designers.
I've just watched the footage back on my front camera, scary. It could have been us.
That was a long 368 miles today...

View attachment 255272

View attachment 255273

View attachment 255274

View attachment 255275
Jeezo!! There's ALWAYS issues on the bloomin' A82 with crashes but usually it's the old road along Loch Lomond or the new bit further S with motorbikes getting killed (all the junctions there) - the motorbikes are usually on 'sporting' day-rides to the Argyll roads from Glasgow...
...but that is a usually ok bit of new road! I'm guessing one of the American tourists had just turned out of the Falls of Falloch car-park and got confused about which side of the road they should be on?!
My wife and I just spent a month saying"drive on the right" to each other EVERY time we set off and at each junction!!

Anyway glad you're all safe; that was way too close for comfort...

Where are you know? Are you past Loch Lomond? I could have given you tea!

A single day... That's hard core.
The Van has been amazing, never missed a beat and has been great to drive. Off on the next leg to La Touquet today
Yep, just looking back at my Facebook posts, 500 miles in a day!

I did 3000 miles on the bike over 2 and a bit weeks!

Jeezo!! There's ALWAYS issues on the bloomin' A82 with crashes but usually it's the old road along Loch Lomond or the new bit further S with motorbikes getting killed (all the junctions there) - the motorbikes are usually on 'sporting' day-rides to the Argyll roads from Glasgow...
...but that is a usually ok bit of new road! I'm guessing one of the American tourists had just turned out of the Falls of Falloch car-park and got confused about which side of the road they should be on?!
My wife and I just spent a month saying"drive on the right" to each other EVERY time we set off and at each junction!!

Back home now sadly, you're right about the old road along the banks of Loch Lomond, I can understand accidents happening on that stretch, but this was a lovely long straight wide road, I would have to say they dozed off at the wheel.
Just stuck into performing a hinge repair on the bed board which was damaged by a sturdy cosmetic bottle getting stuck in the hinge gap on the first night! The joys of taking younger family members!

The yanks in cars are bad.
A few times I’ve had them driving at me head on on the wrong side.
But the motorbikes are worst.
My pals were up north camping on holiday 4 of them in a car when a Norwegian guy on a big bike came flying around a corner on their side. He had his girl on the back.
The guy lost his arm on the car pillar and died his girl was smashed up bad. The driver was ok and tried to save them. My other pals had broken bones and were trapped in the car.
The worst part was when the guy’s family visited my pals in hospital to apologise.
Horrible experience all round.

Last of the long drives today. Left Lapeyrouse this morning and travelled right through the centre of France to La Touquet on the coast. Just taking in the outskirts of Paris. The last 50km was a struggle, but the cold beer in the beach bar helped loads.
20240815_143841~3.jpg
PXL_20240815_152306031.MP.jpg
PXL_20240815_160053915.MP.jpg

Screenshot_20240816-073900.png
It's just a short trip to Calais tomorrow evening and home...

Last edited:
Sadly, we are now close to concluding our 3 week trip which has included France, Italy, Switzerland and Belgium.

We've had a lovely time, which has included Disney Paris:
IMG_0211.jpeg

Tight, difficult site in Domain Du Trappeur in French Alps, which we we won't do again with big caravan!:
IMG_5148.jpeg

Lake Garda:
IMG_5433.jpeg

Venice (Juliet's balcony), was disappointing due to how disappointing humans are by feeling that they can "add art" in the form of graffiti and a montage of chewing gum, which was (in my opinion) grim!:
IMG_5769.jpeg

This was all then followed by the slow trip home via a drop off in Switzerland, a visit to Lac D'Orient, and we are now now not far from Calais forcing some WW1 and WW2 history onto the kids to make up for the 3 day Disney experience! :)

Lunch today at Bray Dunes near Dunkirk and on to Ypres which included stopping on Menin Gate viewing the names of the missing, followed by trip to In Flanders Fields.
IMG_1929.jpeg

By the time we get home, our T6 will have towed our big old caravan the thick end of 4k miles with a family of 5 and this has been epic fun.

Van is now showing "Service Due".
All booked in with @BognorMotors for a full check over and service next week, which will include more that a quick oil change, due to the abuse that it has endured!

Revisited Northumberland for four nights, this time took the four year old granddaughter with us. Just stayed at the one site this time, Dunstan Hill C&C Club. Took her to Beamish on the way up, then to Alnwick Castle and gardens, including their Lilidorei child-entertaining site which was very good then a bit of coastline between Craster and Dunstanburgh Castle. She loved the whole thing. Amazing how far a youngster can walk when enjoying herself. Excellent weather until this morning when awning pack away day was very wet indeed. This seems to happen frequently in our experience.

IMG_2011.jpeg

Feeling a bit sad as at the Chunnel after what has been a cracking 3 weeks.
This may be the last time as a family of five, due to older kids (just) tolerating being with Mum and Dad!
This is the 10th consecutive year that we have "Done France", and this year we "Did France, Italy, Switzerland, France and Belgium" and it has been excellent, but now have that gap between kids that are too old to want to come, and kids not old enough to leave at home!
I now have that dilemma of whether or not to sell the caravan or keep it in the hope that Mum & Dad are able to be tolerated for an 11th year!
Not looking forward to the housekeeping that will be required tomorrow before going back to work on Monday....... I could really do with a holiday!

Sadly, we are now close to concluding our 3 week trip which has included France, Italy, Switzerland and Belgium.

We've had a lovely time, which has included Disney Paris:
View attachment 255378

Tight, difficult site in Domain Du Trappeur in French Alps, which we we won't do again with big caravan!:
View attachment 255376

Lake Garda:
View attachment 255377

Venice (Juliet's balcony), was disappointing due to how disappointing humans are by feeling that they can "add art" in the form of graffiti and a montage of chewing gum, which was (in my opinion) grim!:
View attachment 255379

This was all then followed by the slow trip home via a drop off in Switzerland, a visit to Lac D'Orient, and we are now now not far from Calais forcing some WW1 and WW2 history onto the kids to make up for the 3 day Disney experience! :)

Lunch today at Bray Dunes near Dunkirk and on to Ypres which included stopping on Menin Gate viewing the names of the missing, followed by trip to In Flanders Fields.
View attachment 255372

By the time we get home, our T6 will have towed our big old caravan the thick end of 4k miles with a family of 5 and this has been epic fun.

Van is now showing "Service Due".
All booked in with @BognorMotors for a full check over and service next week, which will include more that a quick oil change, due to the abuse that it has endured!
When did you photo Disneyland Paris - it is empty - due to the Olympics?

Back