Ad-Blue - 650 mile countdown comes and then goes off

timthetinyhorse

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi All,

Hoping you can shed some light on a situation i currently have with my T6 105.

Day to day the van runs fine, no issues with DPF regens etc, engine light on due to egr low flow but no other codes stored currently. After about 90 miles sat at 60 with cruise on the ad-blue range went from 3000 miles to 650 with the spanner - Drove around for the next couple days with the light on and range reducing to 550 - then had to head back up M6 for the return 90 miles but this time gave it a solid kicking for most of the journey and as I joined the A69 the fault appeared to clear and i was back to 3000 miles range.

This same thing happened last year on the way to Gatwick and again cleared on the run back home so a little confusing as it never occurs on shorter journeys.

Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be related to the egr low flow? Have spoken to a garage who suguested blanking the egr and coding it out an that the ad-blue could also be deactivated but not sure where I would stand MOT wise etc? Also been suguested that i try and ad-blue additive as there may be crystalised ad-blue on the level sensor thats causing a spurious fault.

Thanks

I would think it's most likely an issue with the adblue level sensing as that's a reasonably common thread topic.

Might be worth topping up the recommended amount on the principle that fresh adblue sloshing around may well clear things up - just don't be tempted to overfill as that generates exactly the same symptoms.

I would think it's most likely an issue with the adblue level sensing as that's a reasonably common thread topic.

Might be worth topping up the recommended amount on the principle that fresh adblue sloshing around may well clear things up - just don't be tempted to overfill as that generates exactly the same symptoms.
Yeah always wait until 1500 range and then add 10L,

Depending which size adblue tank you have you might want to fill up earlier - it's having the space where adblue can evaporate, condense and then crystallise that's the issue.

A bit like avoiding diesel bug keeping the airspace down seems to help.

I've got the larger tank on the 6.1 but I'm probably going to fill at the 5l point rather than the 10l because of this.

I’ve just had the same problem
It seems to be when the adblue tank is reducing in volume and needs to lower the available miles on the display it somehow loses its way during this process. It then throws a worrying fault upon start up.I drive around for a few days and then randomly everything resets, usually around the 500 miles til meltdown mark
Hope this helps

I’ve just had the same problem
It seems to be when the adblue tank is reducing in volume and needs to lower the available miles on the display it somehow loses its way during this process. It then throws a worrying fault upon start up.I drive around for a few days and then randomly everything resets, usually around the 500 miles til meltdown mark
Hope this helps
yeah i got to 450 miles and it magically sorted itself out so perhaps thats exactly it - certainly hope so as need to sort the EGR so dont want any more costs :)

Depending which size adblue tank you have you might want to fill up earlier - it's having the space where adblue can evaporate, condense and then crystallise that's the issue.

A bit like avoiding diesel bug keeping the airspace down seems to help.

I've got the larger tank on the 6.1 but I'm probably going to fill at the 5l point rather than the 10l because of this.
yeah ok makes sense, mine has a 10L tank. showing 2500 miles at the moment so guess i could put 5L in and see if that helps - also this addtive has been mentioned to prevent crystalisation Wynn's Crystal Clean & Protect

I marked increments on the side of my 10 litre tub to make sure I put the right amount in , I was confident to just drive around and wait for it to correct then
Bob

I always top up when the MFD says it needs 5L and never use cruise control as that’s the only time I have ever had a warning.

the ad-blue range went from 3000 miles to 650 with the spanner
  1. There should be a fault code stored about this.
  2. What's the engine code and what model year the van is?
  3. Have you checked piping from AdBlue unit to the injector for leaks?

1. There should be a fault code stored about this.
  2. What's the engine code and what model year the van is?
  3. Have you checked piping from AdBlue unit to the injector for leaks?
Can’t see anything obvious in terms of leaks etc.
Will have to check the engine code tomorrow (where do I find that? Can I find it with Carista)
Couldn’t see any codes just the usual egr nonsense when I checked it…will scan it again tomorrow and get a screen shot.
Thanks

Will have to check the engine code tomorrow (where do I find that? Can I find it with Carista)
Engine code is on configuration sticker under dash by steering column.
"Detailed ECU info"-report (under Carista Service menu) would be very helpful.

Can’t see anything obvious in terms of leaks etc.
The leak probably wouldn't be a big one - just some AdBlue residuals.

I will have a look tomorrow and get a scan done
Ok cheers will check that…..been fine now for over a week and no more issues. Need to get the egr issues sorted but can’t see that being related unless perhaps it’s a nox issue?

Morning,

Please see below

Engine Code

CXGB

Detailed ECU info

Code:
ECU info obtained with Carista 731099 for iOS:
VIN: WV1ZZZ7HZHH095172
CAN network gateway
Part #: 7E0909901
Component: GW-K-CAN TP20
Software version: 0744
ASAM/ODX identifier: [none]
Coding: 042305 (hex)
[No fault codes]

Engine
Part #: 04L906056KA
Component: R4 2.0l TDI
Software version: 6163
ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_ECM20TDI03004L906056KA
Coding: 00114010432501090000 (hex)
Fault codes:
15560 Manufacturer-specific code
23871 Manufacturer-specific code

ABS
Part #: 7E0907379P
Component: ESC
Software version: 0133
ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_Brake1ESCCONTIVN75XGP2
Coding: 517E4098256B84838A76027DA48421E6790000 (hex)
[No fault codes]

Steering angle
Part #: 6R0959654
Component: LENKW.SENSOR
Software version: 0070
ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_LWSKLOVW25X
Coding: 01 (hex)
[No fault codes]

Airbags
Part #: 7E0959655G
Component: VW10Airbag021
Software version: 0018
ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_AirbaVW10BPAVW12X
Coding: 000000000000000000000000000000003231 (hex)
[No fault codes]

Instrument cluster
Part #: 7E0920970S
Component: KOMBI
Software version: 1104
ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_Kombi_UDS_VDD_RM09
Coding: 450B010300 (hex)
[No fault codes]

Infotainment system
Part #: 1K8035150L
Component: MU-E-D-ER
Software version: 7085
ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_MUEnt4CGen2LGE
Coding: 065700003C00000041111101008000001F0000C60000010001 (hex)
[No fault codes]

Immobilizer
Part #: 5K0953234
Component: IMMO
Software version: 1104
ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_Immo_UDS_VDD_RM09
Coding: 000000 (hex)
[No fault codes]

Parking/steering assist
Part #: 7E0919475T
Component: PARKHILFE 4K
Software version: 0212
ASAM/ODX identifier: EV_VW75XParkAssis4K
Coding: 10800A (hex)
[No fault codes]

Central electronics
Part #: 7E0937090B
Component: BCM PQ25 Max4
Coding: E0A4303A0A212031002009742C2B9C500F80708F60444D60320400220800 (hex)
Fault codes:
03303 Feedback Locked-Position rear-left

Battery regulator
Part #: 7E0907534
Component: Batt.regelung
Coding: 030B7A73 (hex)
[No fault codes]

Basic OBD2:

P0401 (Pending) (Confirmed) - Exhaust Gas Recirculation "A" Flow Insufficient Detected

Engine:

Central electronics:
03303 - Feedback Locked-Position rear-left

DPF - Thought it worth checking

all appears OK

IMG_9733.PNG

Dash showing 2500 range - showing around 5L required to fill so 1/2 full (ish)

IMG_9732.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: mmi
Thank you very much for the comprehensive package.
Engine Part #: 04L906056KA Component: R4 2.0l TDI Software version: 6163
The engine software is up-to-date thus "false alarms" shouldn't be an issue.

DPF - Thought it worth checking

all appears OK
Yes, but the soot level only indicates that DPF regeneration finished quite recently. If you would check 100 miles later you would see much higher level.

Fault codes:
15560 Manufacturer-specific code
23871 Manufacturer-specific code
ad-blue range went from 3000 miles to 650 with the spanner
Well, because of the spanner I was expecting to see a related fault - usually "33262 - Reductant System Performance Bank 1 - P204F 00 [100] - Malfunction" - or even something more illuminating, e.g. indication of AdBlue low pressure, etc.
However, as the fault obviously isn't active anymore also the fault code is just a historic one. Possibly the Carista just doesn't do the historic ones - or have you cleared the faults after the spanner was shown and gone?

@Keith 81 with exactly the same engine&software had similar issue with AdBlue countdown but I can't seem to find if the issue was eventually resolved.

Hi MMI,

Thanks for such a swift response on this!

Thank you very much for the comprehensive package.

The engine software is up-to-date thus "false alarms" shouldn't be an issue.

Yes, but the soot level only indicates that DPF regeneration finished quite recently. If you would check 100 miles later you would see much higher level.
It has dont a DPF regen recently and tends to do them with no issues - i keep an eye on the levels just to be sure, its never had the light on always completes regen before warning is needed. Just thought it might be relevent that its doing a healthy regen when needed.
Well, because of the spanner I was expecting to see a related fault - usually "33262 - Reductant System Performance Bank 1 - P204F 00 [100] - Malfunction" - or even something more illuminating, e.g. indication of AdBlue low pressure, etc.
However, as the fault obviously isn't active anymore also the fault code is just a historic one. Possibly the Carista just doesn't do the historic ones - or have you cleared the faults after the spanner was shown and gone?
I scanned the codes when the spanner was on but there was no change - fault did not clear until another 200 miles however there were none of the codes you mention above listed just the susual low flow from the egr.

@Keith 81 with exactly the same engine&software had similar issue with AdBlue countdown but I can't seem to find if the issue was eventually resolved.
Thansk I will have a read through those threads!

Not sure if this is a question for you or not but would blanking and coding out the EGR have a negative effect on the vehicle or is best to spend the money and have the egr replaced?

Reactions: mmi
Not sure if this is a question for you or not but would blanking and coding out the EGR have a negative effect on the vehicle or is best to spend the money and have the egr replaced?
Effects on the vehicle itself would probably be minimal. - techically. Likely slightly increased fuel consumption as well as a bit accelerated ash accumulation into the DPF, etc. but hardly easily detectable numbers.

However, not sure how roadworthiness related are handled nowadays in the UK. Just to mention a possible future scenario - here in Finland restorations of such modifications will eventually be charged from the owner if/when caught - e.g. especially when such the vehicle is given as part exchange to a dealer, when caught (by the dealer or next owner) the dealer has charged all the restoration costs from the owner-modifier. We already have have a couple of cases which went even through court stages (actually first consumer right's board) and no "mercy" was given for the previous owners who "forgot" to mention about the emission modifications. Anyways, the consumer right's board gives strong protection for the new owner against such alterations. Also nowadays at the dealer's you need to sign that the part exchange vehicle has not been altered. And, yes, there is even a fresh case of a near-by T6 which had AdBlue delete onboard - anyways, no problem with the dealer (not VW), will be restored.

Technically in the UK modifying anything that changes the emissions is illegal under the road traffic act, potentially even remapping, but mostly that's never been enforced.

However DPF inspections are now explicitly part of the MOT and it's quite likely that EGR system may be soon.

I'd say in general unless the failure is inherently down to the EGR you want to make sure it's failure is not a symptom of something else. Even if you blank the EGR and knock through the DPF if there is a developing engine fault you'll still fail the MOT in the end on the smoke test.

Technically in the UK modifying anything that changes the emissions is illegal under the road traffic act, potentially even remapping, but mostly that's never been enforced.

However DPF inspections are now explicitly part of the MOT and it's quite likely that EGR system may be soon.

I'd say in general unless the failure is inherently down to the EGR you want to make sure it's failure is not a symptom of something else. Even if you blank the EGR and knock through the DPF if there is a developing engine fault you'll still fail the MOT in the end on the smoke test.
Yeah i have no DPF issues and have no intention of making changes there, only reason sending me to blank and map the EGR is that the garage i spoke to told me that it may be a better option that exchanging the EGR given how expensive and labor intensive it is..........

Back