AdBlue Discussion and Issues

When you say “would only let me put one litre in” do you mean that that is all the MFD was asking for, or that is only what would physically fit in the tank? Have you brimmed the tank? You still haven’t said what the min-max figure was on the MFD.
Yeah sorry the tank is brimmed !
It just reads 5000 on mfd how do you find out min / max?? Sorry

It just reads 5000 on mfd how do you find out min / max?? Sorry
Well, not knowing exactly which AdBlue system you've got.
On T6 (smaller AdBlue tank) you won't get the min/max fill amount unless the remaining range is 4000 miles. IMHO just keep on driving, and as you have just brimmed it - it just takes a while :thumbsup:

On T6 (smaller AdBlue tank) you won't get the min/max fill amount unless the remaining range is 4000 miles. IMHO just keep on driving, and as you have just brimmed it - it just takes a while :thumbsup:
I will just run it and keep checking it I have got a pump to take some out if no joy !
Thanks for for your help much appreciated

Missus had some left after doing her van so on my T6.1 added about a litre and it added 1500 miles to the range. It wasn't in need of some anytime soon but the display said I could add between 8l and 13l if I wanted to.
Took about an hour driving before it registered the extra though.

Reactions: mmi
Adblue is an absolute ballache of a system. Everyone I know with it who has kept a van long enough has experienced a failure. I’m afraid it’s very much not if, but when. I myself had a new injector after the 650 mile error countdown of death. Then a year later, I had another 650 countdown error and it turned out to be the pump. The following year an adblue heater error, which didn’t even need to be used unless far below zero temps, after being told I now needed a new tank as the heater cannot be replaced on a t6, I opted to have it mapped out.

I know some might scoff, but, if they are going to put these systems in vehicles, don’t make them so unreliable and costly to repair.

Modern diesels have been so strangled by emissions rubbish bolted on to them to comply with euro 6, that the consumer has to pay the price, not the manufacturer. I dread to think how many other adblue repairs the van already had by the first owner in 130k miles.

I can see why people go for euro5 tbh. Thankfully I never go near ULEZ areas anyway.

Adblue is an absolute ballache of a system. Everyone I know with it who has kept a van long enough has experienced a failure. I’m afraid it’s very much not if, but when. I myself had a new injector after the 650 mile error countdown of death. Then a year later, I had another 650 countdown error and it turned out to be the pump. The following year an adblue heater error, which didn’t even need to be used unless far below zero temps, after being told I now needed a new tank as the heater cannot be replaced on a t6, I opted to have it mapped out.

I know some might scoff, but, if they are going to put these systems in vehicles, don’t make them so unreliable and costly to repair.

Modern diesels have been so strangled by emissions rubbish bolted on to them to comply with euro 6, that the consumer has to pay the price, not the manufacturer. I dread to think how many other adblue repairs the van already had by the first owner in 130k miles.

I can see why people go for euro5 tbh. Thankfully I never go near ULEZ areas anyway.
May be I am lucky. Had my van from new in 2028 and had no Adblue problems so far. Keeping my fingers crossed. Fan heater resistors however is a very different story - one every 18 months both expensive and cheap ones.

On a slight tangent, I'm looking at buying a pickup for towing duties as the van is taking a beating towing a 2000+ kg horse box fairly regularly.
I've been looking at Mitsubishi L200's and Isuzu D-Max's. Both of those, with a 2.4 and 2.5 engine respectively, are capable of Euro 6 compliance without needing the dreaded Adblue. Maybe the larger capacity allows a lower state of tune that falls within the emissions criteria? However, neither are exactly 'green' when considering the tax bracket!!

Last edited:
Whoops 2018!
Time traveller
On a slight tangent, I'm looking at buying a pickup for towing duties as the van is taking a beating towing 2000+ kg horse box fairly regularly.
I've been looking at Mitsubishi L200's and Isuzu D-Max's. Both of those, with a 2.4 and 2.5 engine respectively, are capable of Euro 6 compliance without needing the dreaded Adblue. Maybe the larger capacity allows a lower state of tune that falls within the emissions criteria however, neither are exactly 'green' when considering the tax bracket!!
odd, makes you wonder?

That's me, Euro 5, six speed 140 mapped to 180 ish, I've no need to go near a city, I didn't want a Euro 6 van and am happy with Euro 5.
I never even give a thought to regens / soot and ash levels etc.
We've also got a Euro 6 car and that's never been into a ULEZ zone either, although I expect ULEZ will expand soon.

More adblue woes, it's responsible for up to 50% of downtime for heavy plant in construction industry

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
More adblue woes, it's responsible for up to 50% of downtime for heavy plant in construction industry

Some plant engines sit idling for many hours every day, how many times have you seen excavators on motorway works, sitting idling waiting for a dumper? Not good for DPF's but in winter the operator wants the heater on and in summer he wants the air con!
Combine engines sit in a shed for 10 or 11 months of the year then work full throttle, heavy load, for 14+ hours a day during harvest, hence fewer DPF problems.

Apologies if this has already been covered. My ad blue is stuck at 5000 on the MFD. How is this error rectified ?

Apologies if this has already been covered. My ad blue is stuck at 5000 on the MFD. How is this error rectified ?
How many miles since you last filled it?
They can be really slow in showing a reduced AdBlue range, it seems to be dependent on your driving. Mine has been "stuck" on 3500- 3000 miles for ages. Did over 500 miles at the weekend, and it didn't change from 3000. I was thinking that I might need to top-up before next week's 450 mile journey to London, but happy to leave it until my return.

Approx 1200 miles - I never thought to record the mileage when topping up the as blue. I may have overfilled it. Will it eventually return to normal when I’ve used more ad blue?

Approx 1200 miles - I never thought to record the mileage when topping up the as blue. I may have overfilled it. Will it eventually return to normal when I’ve used more ad blue?
It should return to normal. That's what I'm hoping too :). I'll also note the mileage when I top it up as I had expected to use it a bit more. I've only filled it once in the last year I think.

Back