Brake disc and pad upgrade options

Vw commercial st albans quoted £660 for front and rear pads when mine was in for a service. I knew the front was low so expected them to pick up on it but thought it was pushing it saying rears needed doing. I changed them myself £76 for front and rear pads from local auto factors. Main dealers labour rates for pads and discs are a joke labour rates work out £2/300 a hr.

At my last VW service, probs May 2022, they told me I needed new pads as they were worn I think 55%. So I bought uprated discs and pads and did it myself.
When I took the ‘old’ pads off they had about as much meat on as a new set. I’ve actually kept them they are that good.
Bunch of scammers.

Last edited:
Same here.
VWCV dealer told me my discs and pads needed replacing front and rear.
Just had them checked by an independent and they said there’s 20,000 miles still left on them.

Hi All!

Hoping you can help me out if I am ordering the right parts for my T6, bought it not too long ago, but the all discs + Pads definitely need replacement.
Local garages/Dealers are too expensive if you ask me and I am getting help from an mechanic in private.

Maybe someone else in the future can also benefit from this, but would these parts be the right parts?

A question upfront;

Some info about the car
Volkswagen T6 2017 TSI 2.0 (SGJ) - LWB
VIN: wv2zzz7HzJH061844
Motorcode: CJKB
Year: 2017 (2018 if you search via VIN)

Parts & Tools List
1708276889677.pngREAR - BOSCH 0 986 479 097 Brake disc Link
294x22mm, 5x120, Vented, internally vented, Coated, High-carbon
1708276913411.pngREAR - BOSCH 0 986 494 583 Brake pad set Link
Low-Metallic, incl. wear warning contact, with anti-squeak plate, with bolts/screws, with spring, with accessories
1708276935836.pngFRONT - BOSCH 0 986 479 B88 Brake disc Link
308x30mm, 5x120, Vented, Coated, High-carbon
Or could it be that I need 340?
1708276949407.png
FRONT - BOSCH 0 986 494 107 Brake pad set Link
Low-Metallic, with integrated wear sensor, with anti-squeak plate, with piston clip
1708276965680.pngFRONT - QUICK BRAKE 109-1680 Accessory Kit, disc brake pads Link
Only applies to the front brake set right?
1708276986989.pngREAR/FRONT METZGER 11679K Bolt, brake disc Link
1708277014759.pngMA PROFESSIONAL 20-B01 Threadlocker Link
1708277029933.pngREAR - NEO TOOLS 11-127 Reset Tool, brake caliper piston Link
I need this for driving back the rear pistons due to the handbrake mechanism etc.
1708277058882.pngMA PROFESSIONAL 20-A10 Copper Grease Link
Much appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Much appreciated

Best regards,
Peter

Last edited:
Post a picture of your front calliper,
the 340 twin pot calliper is much larger and looks very different from the standard 308 single pot.
(what size wheels are on your van (larger discs require a minimum of 17” wheels)

Retention springs are reusable, so changing old for new is purely cosmetic.

Just had all brakes & pads (front & rear) done at WAS in Worcester for just under £500. They're more conveniently located for me than the official VW place in Tewkesbury, but they're also more human, cheaper, and I just have a better feeling about them. Not that the VW place ever told me I needed something I didn't and they were perfectly fine, but I just like that personal touch you get from an independent and that feeling you get that they really know their stuff and are actually interested in what they do. Looking at previous comments at the prices VW are charging for brakes, I'm glad I went independent! Very happy with WAS (sister company of & next door to Dirty Weekender van conversions) VW T6 2016

Just had front and rear pads done today on our T6.1 at VW van centre Derby, £495. Thank god we didn’t have to pick up this bill as they are covered in the cost of our lease. Wheelchair user or not I would try and do them myself at that price if it was a van I owned :eek::eek:

I need to replace my brake pads. Can anyone recommend a standard (i think) set of pads for a 2018 T30? I'm gonna have to try DIY it I think. Is a set of pads all I need or do I need special tools? I have an anti clockwise caliper rewind tool, break cleaner, copper slip and some silicone lube. I think I need a 9mm allan key?

Quote for brakes ;

Front brakes,
£119.95 +VAT If we just need to change break pads
£297.45 +VAT If we need to do discs and pads

Rear Breaks,
£114.95+VAT If we just need to change break pads
£277.45+VAT If we need to change discs and pads

I’ve just done the rears on my T30 and used my Ford Sierra wind back tool which winds in clockwise.

I clamped the rubber hose off with a plastic clamp, undone the bleed nipple then wound the piston in. This avoids any crud getting pushed back to the master cyl / abs.

I had to re-use the caliper bolts as no new ones with the pads - These have been supplied when changed on previous VW group vehicles. These needed a dab of loctite.

Rotary wire brush in the cordless drill to clean up the wheel mounting face / collar.

Not sure what the silicon spray is for? I’d avoid getting it anywhere near brakes!

Just did my fronts this May. Relatively straightforward but the caliper bolts took a lot of shifting. I got my pads and discs from A&E Motorsport.
Screenshot_20240620-195240.png

I’ve just done the rears on my T30 and used my Ford Sierra wind back tool which winds in clockwise.

I clamped the rubber hose off with a plastic clamp, undone the bleed nipple then wound the piston in. This avoids any crud getting pushed back to the master cyl / abs.

I had to re-use the caliper bolts as no new ones with the pads - These have been supplied when changed on previous VW group vehicles. These needed a dab of loctite.

Rotary wire brush in the cordless drill to clean up the wheel mounting face / collar.

Not sure what the silicon spray is for? I’d avoid getting it anywhere near brakes!
Silicone lube was for slide pins on my mondeo not sure if I need it on a T6. So clamping brake line is new to me. Not sure if I'm comfortable takin off brake hose though so will just try windin piston back in with master cylinder vented - if it'll wind anticlockwise. Maybe justba squeeeeeze with a ratchet clamp...

I recall answering much the same question a few months ago...to save me repeating myself ill copy the link, there is probably other info in the thread that will be of interest - Brake Cost Replacement
It's a good thread but am wanting recommendations on pads as am lookin on ebay and thinkin... maybe I should check in wi the lads... your link has me pondering maybe checkin halfords too though

Where'd you get your pads?

Back