F770 dashcam - how to find power supply? Would like to make sure it's connected to leisure battery

coopso

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I'd like to check which battery my F770 dashcam is wired to. Is there any smart way of doing this? I'm about as far as you can get from an auto technician, but I can follow clear instructions... Mine is a 2017 with factory leisure plus a fair amount of extra electrics stuff (towbar, inverter, upgraded split charge, hook up, etc). Thanks!

Disconnect the -ve on your starter battery. If it still works then it’s connected to the leisure battery. You’ll need to reset one touch closing on the widows after though.

So disconnecting starter battery means the dashcam has no power.

Seems daft to have it connected to starter battery, as I like to have the parking camera on when the van is not in use.

So is there a smart way to find the power supply so that I can switch it to the leisure battery, please?

Thanks for the tip! These two wires are for the dashcam, when I pull them the dashcam has no power, plug back in and cam powers up.

Looking at the fuse card it seems the red (ACC i.e. switched) wire is in SC33 diff lock and the yellow (battery i.e. constant) is in an unlabelled slot below the SC49 12V socket middle dash.

How to use this info? Can anyone please suggest how to swap the power so that it is supplied by my factory leisure battery?

IMG_5257.jpeg

Nice!

Just move the yellow one to your leisure battery. You'll probably need to extend it. Where is your leisure battery, any pics of the fusebox?

You could piggyback from a fuse in the leisure battery fusebox using one these - Amazon.co.uk
Yes, sounds logical - thanks again!

Mine has factory leisure battery under passenger seat. Will be a pain to run a wire to it from the main central dash fusebox I think. I don't have a great experience with removing interior panels :-(

I see from the fuse card that there is a slot for the top lighter socket which vans have and which I understand is powered by leisure battery. The slot looks different from the others and I see from other posts here that it is a fuse block rather than a blade fuse. The slot is empty on my Carvelle.

I would rather not just poke the existing yellow wire spade into the socket and hope - so is there a specific product that I would need in order to take power from this fuse block socket, please? If so this would be a much easier solution than running a wire to the leisure battery fuses under the seat.

Have found more info than I ever wanted to know about automotive fuses! Looks like the fuse is known as a Jcase fuse, and I would need to crimp a female spade connector onto my yellow cable. Guess I'll experiment with spades to find the right size. Be great if someone could confirm I'm on the right track - or otherwise .... ;)

I would say that cable route from the lower dashboard fuse box to under the passenger seat is pretty straight forward though, and would just involve going under the rubber mat, which you can pull up quite easily from the passenger footwell.

AFAIK all the leisure battery associated fuses are under the passenger seat

Thanks chaps, I couldn't find a spade to fit the top 12V fuse socket so I'm taking the more recommended route and running a wire to the leisure fuses under the passenger seat. Waiting for piggy back to arrive as none of the free fuse sockets under passenger seat are wired to anything, so I need to piggy back an existing fuse. Mine is a Caravelle so I think hidden cable routing is only possible if lifting carpets which I'm not going to tackle. So will instead simply be routed under the passenger side floor mat!

All done! Thanks a million for the advice!

I had a couple of false starts. The first two leisure battery fuses under the passenger seat were not powered on for whatever reason. So I used a voltmeter to find one that is continuously live. The second issue was just lack of knowledge - you need a fuse in both slots of the piggy back adapter, totally obvious when you think about it and I only didn't put one in to start with because there is already a fuse inline in the wire to the camera.

Have you put the piggy back into an empty slot or one which already has a fuse in.

Now you’re powering from your LB in parking mode, it might be worth checking to make sure your cam doesn’t have a power off timer.

Mine did, it was set to 48hr by default.

Now you’re powering from your LB in parking mode, it might be worth checking to make sure your cam doesn’t have a power off timer.

Mine did, it was set to 48hr by default.
Thanks for pointing that out, it does have a timer but I've set it to the longest period possible.

Thanks for pointing that out, it does have a timer but I've set it to the longest period possible.
Hi

I'm in the middle of implementing a dash cam via the converter Co but Im after some background info
I saw different options, excuse if they are the same

1. As above into a spare fuse slot or existing one
2. To the leisure battery

If I was to use the parking mode - what one is best also would it not drain the battery either car or leisure?

I saw some dash cam "turn on" only when there is a "knock" - you miss the first couple of seconds but hopefully still enough to see it - obviously not a "fast hit and run" so to speak

Thanks

Hi

I'm in the middle of implementing a dash cam via the converter Co but Im after some background info
I saw different options, excuse if they are the same

1. As above into a spare fuse slot or existing one
2. To the leisure battery

If I was to use the parking mode - what one is best also would it not drain the battery either car or leisure?

I saw some dash cam "turn on" only when there is a "knock" - you miss the first couple of seconds but hopefully still enough to see it - obviously not a "fast hit and run" so to speak

Thanks
Seems like you're looking for general advice on which camera to choose as well as more specific advice on installation? I would think you'll have better luck starting a new thread so that people with that expertise might be more likely to see it and offer an opinion. I have a feeling though that there are already general cam buying thread(s) on the forum so maybe have a look around before posting. Cheers, Paul

Back