Hello all, I've managed to sort my ducting and vents - thanks for all your help so far!

The next thing I'm after is a VW cradle which by the looks of things comes in 3 parts, is that correct? Forum searching has led me to believe that this is the only option and aftermarket ones from Webasto etc can't be lined up correctly?

Finally, my next stage is cutting holes in the van. I've seen lots of good tips for getting the shape correct and measurements for the front step, but is there any guidance on how to know where to start cutting on the B pillar? Not sure if I'm just being thick but can't work that one out from the thread!

Cheers,

Stuart

OEM VW brackets are made to only fit the OEM size heaters, i.e. Air Top 3500,3900,40, 5000, 5500 and 55. If you are fitting a smaller heater nothing will line up or fit unless you make adaptions.

OEM VW brackets are made to only fit the OEM size heaters, i.e. Air Top 3500,3900,40, 5000, 5500 and 55. If you are fitting a smaller heater nothing will line up or fit unless you make adaptions.
heater2a-jpg.102438

Looking to recreate this from the Grim Reaper. Have all the ducting and reducers, just need a bracket. Does this only work because it's a planar? I had planned on doing the same with an Autoterm.

That is a 2kW chinese heater, I believe a 5kW one would line up without any modification (to the mounting points between cradle and heater at least) but both would require the hose adapters (red silicone hoses in my example) as the Chinese heaters inlet and outlet diameters are different to the OEM specs.
I used some long nuts to space the heater off the cradle about an inch which then aligned the heater duct inlet and outlet with the van ducts.

Last edited:
That is a 2kW chinese heater, I believe a 5kW one would line up without and modification (to the mounting points between cradle and heater at least)
I used some long nuts to space the heater off the cradle about an inch which then aligned the heater duct inlet and outlet with the van ducts.
I’ll be going 2kw too more than likely! Have you got any tips for the cradle? Try to source the 3 bits for a VW one from somewhere that I don’t need to remortgage? Hahaha!

Just buy a Webasto mount for a 2Kw - I don't know why you are trying to use an OEM mount as they are designed for the greater weight of the bigger heaters. ( Webasto mount is only £70 - £80 as opposed to the £300 or so for OEM) You will have to fettle it no matter what mount you use as you are using OEM ducts.

I used an OEM mount as I fitted an Evo40.

( No I don't have any left - I sold the last kit a while ago and due to lack of interest I am not doing any more )

Just buy a Webasto mount for a 2Kw - I don't know why you are trying to use an OEM mount as they are designed for the greater weight of the bigger heaters. ( Webasto mount is only £70 - £80 as opposed to the £300 or so for OEM) You will have to fettle it no matter what mount you use as you are using OEM ducts.
It didn't sound like anyone had made the Webasto mount work from what I had read.

You can use the Webasto bracket - that is what they are made for! No matter what bracket you use you will have to fettle it to marry up with OEM ducts.
I can only say it so many times.
That's it, no more. I have had enough of repeating myself.

Attachments

• VW_AT2000STC_T5_&_T6_Heater_Installation_manual.pdf
    6.9 MB · Views: 33
You can use the Webasto bracket - that is what they are made for! No matter what bracket you use you will have to fettle it to marry up with OEM ducts.
I can only say it so many times.
That's it, no more. I have had enough of repeating myself.
I have a solution above which uses an OEM bracket. Looking to hear from people that have used alternative brackets and made it work.

I understand you don't think I should use the OEM bracket - thanks for the feedback.

Page 16 of that guide, last picture, the silencer should be rotated so the drain hole is facing downwards. Just sayin'.

Errrrr................ it is already pointing dowwards - should have gone to Specsavers.. ( The smaller heaters are mounted upright not on their side like the larger heaters)

Heater is on its side, silencer is on its side, drain hole should be at the bottom.(especially when the exhaust then goes upwards exiting the silencer) My eyesight is fine thank you.

Screenshot_20240115-121010.png

HI @oldiebut goodie, with your input ot this post I wonder whether you could give me some hint on the air duct being round one rather than OEM to fit through B pillar and minimise the impact on cutting and price too? thx

You will not get a round air duct of sufficiently wide enough diameter into the b-pillar.
so how about using existing car vent rather than going through B pillar or under driver seat (I'm not keen on drilling through pillar and under seat is already fully packed with battery etc)?

As a response to your comment regarding space in B pillar - I have managed to find such example instead - one duct from webaston directly out to the pillar?

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Last edited:
Back