Help! No more electricity from the alternator? Or something else?

Check the fuse at the main battery end, I think it's under the battery, or more easily remove the charge relay and check it has voltage on the feed from the main battery.

The main battery receive between 13 and 15v, engine running.

I drove 500km today, no any charge at any moment on the second battery.

"or more easily remove the charge relay and check it has voltage on the feed from the main battery."

I don't know what is it and how to do it.

"or more easily remove the charge relay and check it has voltage on the feed from the main battery."
That's the relay with marking "100" - the starter battery and the second battery join at the relay. Thus you should see main battery voltage at the relay. And voltage of the second battery on the other pin.

OK.

Seem to be the main battery, engine running : 12,15 (if I check on the main battery it's 14,7v)
When the second is 12,45.

If you do not have the starter battery voltage at relay "100" connector - the next to check is the main fuse feeding second battery circuit - under starter battery fuse SA3 (100Amps) - number 3 in the picture.

1701542218783.png

Oh no....
It was just this, this unplugged cable.
I tried and it's working now.

I'm sorry for the lost of time (at least I learned new things). I hope this topic will help some people.

Too busy with my clients + trusting the job done by the garage, I didn't check, not thinking it could be this kind of thing...

Thanks a lot for your help.

IMG-20231203-WA0012.jpeg

IMG-20231203-WA0012.jpeg

That would explain it. If the BCM can't monitor the battery it will be very careful with load and clearly doesn't engage the split charge relay.

Oh no....
It was just this, this unplugged cable.
I tried and it's working now.

I'm sorry for the lost of time (at least I learned new things). I hope this topic will help some people.
Thanks for the feedback - didn't quite expect that. Anyways, I'm confident VCDS Auto-Scan would have pinpointed the disconnect!

Hi All, I Have what I believe is the same fault but wanted to run it by a few more experienced people before buying a new alternator, our van is a 2017 T6 Ex RAC, It stands a lot as we have converted to a campervan and after a few days away we were about 15 miles from home when the battery light came on, we have a Renogy 50A DC to DC Charger with a solar panel and a 100Ah Renogy house battery, The starter battery was replaced about September last year and coded so I'm happy that all that is okay.

Here is the fault code from VCDS and I have attached a couple of screenshots and have also checked that the belt is there and going round as it should, thanks for any input on this?

2 Faults Found:
02252 - Generator
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101100
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 129
Mileage: 213112 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2019.01.07.
Time: 13:07:32
02256 - Quiescent Current
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100001
Fault Priority: 7
Reset counter: 124
Mileage: 0 km
Date: 2018.12.29.
Time: 23:31:58

VCDS.png

Alt.png

Quiescent limit.... Referred to your loads pulling more than 50mA off the starter battery when the van is sleeping.... Normally a dash cam m or usb charger etc.

The other alternator fault, had a fault count of one... So note the fault code, clear the code and carry on.... If it comes back we can take a better look.

Id it comes back there are a few places to look.

Hi All, I Have what I believe is the same fault but wanted to run it by a few more experienced people before buying a new alternator, our van is a 2017 T6 Ex RAC, It stands a lot as we have converted to a campervan and after a few days away we were about 15 miles from home when the battery light came on, we have a Renogy 50A DC to DC Charger with a solar panel and a 100Ah Renogy house battery, The starter battery was replaced about September last year and coded so I'm happy that all that is okay.

Here is the fault code from VCDS and I have attached a couple of screenshots and have also checked that the belt is there and going round as it should, thanks for any input on this?

2 Faults Found:
02252 - Generator
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101100
Fault Priority: 1
Reset counter: 129
Mileage: 213112 km
Date: 2019.01.07.
Time: 13:07:32
02256 - Quiescent Current
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100001
Fault Priority: 7
Reset counter: 124
Mileage: 0 km
Date: 2018.12.29.
Time: 23:31:58

View attachment 255847

View attachment 255848
The VCDS screenshots show that generator is not working. Requested voltages 14.3 and 15.0 but battery remains at 11.456 V. Also generator current stays at 0.0 A, as well as exciter current 0.000 A - assuming engine was running.

For a working good VCDS example see post #3.

The VCDS screenshots show that generator is not working. Requested voltages 14.3 and 15.0 but battery remains at 11.456 V. Also generator current stays at 0.0 A, as well as exciter current 0.000 A - assuming engine was running.

For a working good VCDS example see post #3.
Thanks for the reply, yes the engine was running, I will order a new alternator and fit it.
I think some places will let me trade in the old one.
Thanks again.

Reactions: mmi
Quiescent limit.... Referred to your loads pulling more than 50mA off the starter battery when the van is sleeping.... Normally a dash cam m or usb charger etc.

The other alternator fault, had a fault count of one... So note the fault code, clear the code and carry on.... If it comes back we can take a better look.

Id it comes back there are a few places to look.
Thanks for the reply, I tried clearing the fault but it came right back, do you think it could be something other than the alternator?

Could the Quiescent limit be caused by something like my DC to DC charger?
I run my dashcam and a 12v socket in the cab from my leisure battery so it shouldn't be either of those.

Last edited:
The relevant ones were captured in screenshots in post #32.

Those voltages look normal - but different than controller 61 (battery regulator) is reporting :speechless:
The logs were done yesterday and the Multi-meter readings were done this evening, I might go back out and check to see if the battery light is still on.

Reactions: mmi
Back