Fault code P0299 Boost - 2019 Crafter

Ahh I could have swore I clicked the uds and group by 7…. Is there a way for me to save the format of the specified list of things we are looking at, as I keep having to enter them all one but one each time I want a log….

Is there a way for me to save the format of the specified list of things we are looking at, as I keep having to enter them all one but one each time I want a log….
For the settings (e.g. UDS grouping) - no. Unfortunately.

For the logged data items - yes - in post #18 - has a preset file attached - but still have to load the file every time. Not perfect but helps a lot IMO.

Thinking of possible pressure loss, I’ve ordered a new o ring for here, it sits just inside the hard rigid pipe the goes between here and the charge air inlet…. The o ring looks a little past its best and there is a faint trace of oil got past the o ring onto that shiny collar and the two fixing screws… not lots, but a trace amount…..

Not sure if that means turbo is leaking oil, can’t imaging it’s comes from anywhere else though …..

IMG_8758.jpeg

Reactions: mmi
Not sure if that means turbo is leaking oil, can’t imaging it’s comes from anywhere else though …..
Engine crankcase ventilation is fed into turbo intake - side input of part 12. There is always some oil mist.
1720896300503.png
1720896352037.png

It’s not this model in your pic above, this is what Vw first pulled up today when I went to order the o’ring, it’s a 2019 model and the pipe I have doesn’t have that side inlet…..
they pulled up the right pic straight after.
It’s a daua 2.0 2019 if that helps ?

The pipe I have is long with no other inlet, it goes right up to the charge air inlet elbow….

I don't see anything obvious in the data that would explain why the charge pressure doesn't reach the specified value.
The actuator follows the specified value - would expect also a fault code if wouldn't.
Also minimum and maximum values were as expected (compared with CXFA engine) for all turbo related data items.

IDE00021 Engine RPM​
IDE00075 Vehicle speed​
IDE00085 Normed load value​
IDE00347 Air mass: actual value:​
IDE07757 Exhaust recirc.valve 1 bank 1: posit.feedback - Actual value​
IDE00190 Charge air pressure: specified value​
IDE07376 Intake manifold pressure: act. value calculated​
IDE07784 Turbine actuator 1 bank 1: posit.feedback - Specified value​
IDE07785 Turbine actuator 1 bank 1: posit.feedback - Actual value​
IDE07789 Turbine actuator 1 bank 1: activation​
IDE07790 Bypass valve for turboch 1 turbine inlet: activation​
IDE07793 Turboc.1 turbin.bypass valve 1 B. 1: pos.feedback - Actual value​

So is the turbo behaving as it should then? And something else (like a leak) is causing the underboost rather than a part of the turbo not responding correctly Like the actuator or waste gate for example?
Would sticky vanes show in that data ?

I will change this o’ring (Wednesday it comes into stock) and see if that helps.

What is the valve that looks just like the n75 valve which is located right along side the n75 valve? Looks like two of them?

Under hard acceleration I hear a bit of a whoosh noise from that area.
There is nothing visibly wrong with it and all
Pipes/tubes hold good vacuum….

Wonder what it is and if we can test this with another live log ?

So is the turbo behaving as it should then? And something else (like a leak) is causing the underboost rather than a part of the turbo not responding correctly Like the actuator or waste gate for example?
Would sticky vanes show in that data ?
Well, wish I could say something for sure.
The confusing part is that the pressure build-up lags full time. I was a kind of expecting to see the pressure keep up with commanded value up to some point and then just flat out. So can't rule out sticky vanes yet I'm afraid.

For comparison below a plot of a working system - though a bi-turbo. The deviations/dips on specified values here are when foot is off the throttle - engine braking.
1720937903528.png
What is the valve that looks just like the n75 valve which is located right along side the n75 valve? Looks like two of them?
"Intake manifold flap air flow control valve - N316"

VCDS can run quite a few turbo related tests. Unfortunately I haven't tried them enough to understand what to get and how to interpret results.

VCDS > Engine > Output tests

VCDS-01-output_tests.png

Also under Basic Settings there are quite a few related tests. E.g. as below

VCDS > Engine > Basic settings

IDE00457-Test of turbocharger​
IDE00459-Test of transfer fuel pump​
IDE00460-Test of intake manifold runner flaps​
IDE00891-Test of charge air pressure control​
IDE07136-Test of wastegate actuator​
IDE07464-Turbocharger recirculating valve test​
IDE11075-Adaptation of turbocharger recirc. valve​

NOTE: Probably prerarable to avoid running anything named as "reset" or "adaptation" as the result might be something not desirable.

To get ideas how to set up VCDS for testing e.g. below - of course the measurement values etc. need to adapt.

Let me look into my own logs...

Just first sample to show where the issue is and how it looks. Now need to look how the rest of data relates to it... stay tuned...
Below a comparison of a log of CXFA engine (T6.1) and yours. Only recorded minimum/maximums. So matches quite well except the pressure.

The delta in EGR position is because the CXFA run was in cold - thus the EGR cooler is most of the time bypassed, hence mostly negative values there for CXFA.

1720943619193.png

The deep dip in IDE07376 intake manifold pressure (0.545 bar) is because engine was stopped by Stop/Start at 171 seconds (ECU closing intake airways, thus choking the engine)

1720944594374.png

Well, a bit confusing part is that specified pressure steps up on idle to 1.35 bar - here above from 208 to 236 seconds. Haven't seen that behaviour on other engines. Perhaps it designed to do that, or is it doing a self-diagnosis there.

On the first log that "boost request" didn't happen, see below engine start-up from 0 to 10 seconds. Also on ticking over from 32 to 53 seconds.
1720945318453.png

Cant thank yyou enough for your support in this mmi it’s really kind of you.
I’m just about keeping up with what you’re saying …
The N316 valve - I tested all vac lines into it just to see if they hold a good vac, they do. BUT, what I have noticed is that if I hard accelerate, I am hearing a whooshing noise in that exact location.

The part number on the valve is almost the same as the n75 valve.
The n75 valve I changed didn’t fix the issue so I can assume the one I took off was actually not at a fault, do you think it would harm for me to use this old (working) valve with this N316 valve to see what it does?

When I put my foot down and it makes this noise, I just assumed it was the valve venting off through that little short trumpet looking vent….
But the fact I can hear it in the can when driving isn’t right I guess.
Me putting my foot down and making it make this noise doesn’t correlate with it producing an po299 fault though….. it doesn’t make it fault.

What I do know is right before it faults I can feel a little bit of a miss or a grumble on power. Not a lot, but just a bit of a rough moment.

Thanks again Mmi

Ok, I’ll go out and swap the one I took off for the n75 swap with the n316 .
The part number was the same but it had a second number which was different…. Maybe that’s just a batch code
I’ll take the van for a run as I also picked up some Wynnes vnt turbo cleanser (in fuel additive, 140+ reviews said it actually did do something) I know it is t gonna fix it but it could at least help a little in the short term…. And if it made it go away for a short while at least I’d know….

I do t mind buying a new turbo if that’s the outcome, but I’d hate to do it and the fault still remain !!!

I’ll report back

I think we can ignore the bypass valve data as they seemed to remain at zero.
Replaced those two with something else (bolded below).

Perhaps you could make next recording with the following data
(once ticked you can save the setup - same menu where a preset was loaded - or use attached preset file - remove .txt-extension please)

IDE00021 Engine RPM​
IDE00075 Vehicle speed​
IDE00085 Normed load value​
IDE00190 Charge air pressure: specified value​
IDE00347 Air mass: actual value:​
IDE04269 Intake manifold runner actuator: activation
IDE07376 Intake manifold pressure: act. value calculated​
IDE07744 Particle filter: air pressure sensor 1 bank 1: raw value
IDE07757 Exhaust recirc.valve 1 bank 1: posit.feedback - Actual value​
IDE07784 Turbine actuator 1 bank 1: posit.feedback - Specified value​
IDE07785 Turbine actuator 1 bank 1: posit.feedback - Actual value​
IDE07789 Turbine actuator 1 bank 1: activation​

Attachments

• DAUA_preset_02.u01.txt
    120 bytes · Views: 5
I’ve just been out in it again now…
I changed the n316 valve, no change.

I listened intently at this wooshing noise, it could be coming from the charge air unit…..

Codes coming up frequent now, still po299.

I put some v power in along with some wynnes vnt turbo cleaner, I had hoped to be able to drive it enough to get some miles down and fuel passed through it as it wasn’t faulting all the time, but I don’t think it’s drivable for enough distance for it to have any effect really as the coil light is coming on quite frequently now.

I get the coil light, I clear it , i get the coil light again, and then eventually I get the coil light and the amber eng managment light together…..
I do t want to drive it when that comes on…..
Is there a difference of it just putting a coil light up and then putting a coil light with an eng man light too? I can’t work out the logic behind what it’s doing.

I’ll make a log of that new list yyou have share tomorrow when I get in from work

Last edited:
Is there a difference of it just putting a coil light up and then putting a coil light with an eng man light too? I can’t work out the logic behind what it’s doing.
The flashing coil is the serious one - a fault in engine affecting performance, etc.
The light with engine symbol is about detected emission issue - still perfectly drivable. E.g. P0401 EGR insufficient flow would trigger this eventually.

By the way - the insufficient charge pressure issue was also captured in fault codes - in their "freeze frame" data. E.g.
Charge air pressure: specified value: 2.465 bar
Charge air cooler inlet: pressure sensor 1 bank 1: raw value: 1772 mbar

But it's only snapshot at the moment when the fault is registered- not much but quite often a good start anyways.

Ok so I noticed two things. The wooshing boise at the charge air was coming from a poorly refitted inlet elbow. I refitted that and that noise has now gone away. The second notable thing was the the o ring that seals the other end of the charge air inlet pipe (at the turbo end) was past its best, and the seal will deffo have been blowing by there….Ordered a new one from Vw on sat, collected today, Fitted it and took it for a drive.

The pO 299 faukt still happens. The Sounds better now that my brother helped in re-fitting the v clamps to the turbo/cat/dpf.
The dpf has now dried out and also stopped wheezing.

He can will now drive around the streets fine, now coil lights, low rpm, light speed and throttle, it’s seems happy. But take it on the expressway and it’s seems ok under load getting up to speed but the. When you ease up to crusade, there’s a split second of roughness and then the coil
Light flashes up again.

it feel is like the turbo stumbles just for a split second and then the fault light comes on.

IGN off/on faults cleared and it drives normally again.

it’s driving me bananas.

9/10 I get a p299. And I get the very occasional po401 insufficient egr flow, but that’s not often. I think it’s seems like a side Effect of the underboost issue.

As I say right at the start, I took off the egr and cooler and it really seemed ok in there.

If you could make a VCDS log as per post#53 would be interested to have a look into it. No need to make markers - just a recording. If you could have a 30 seconds on tick over before and after the journey that would be great. Then also a blockmap engine still ticking over after all that.

No, I’m out now doing another log, when the van throws it’s cool light up should I just continue to drive and create the log in fault, or should I stop and reset the coil light with an ign cycle so that I’m logging without fault and then going into fault ?

I'd prefer to log first "normal" conditions (without fault) for a few minutes, and then create the fault.

Back