How.... how do you afford a van?

“Time ebbing away “ Nah we got our van after I retired - lump sum sitting in the bank doing nothing , kids thinking Mmmmm , the old bugger is still alive , rubbing their hands and then bingo , we bought the van , sold the cars , bought cushions ( and other bits ) lump sum gone and we love every minute of our weekends away once a month all year round , we don’t go far , half a dozen sites with a pub nearby. About 7K a year ( no more than that ) . My wife uses the van as her daily drive. Running costs are not as much as the two cars were. , we were late starters - it is the best move we ever made.

My head is swimming. SO many A/T ads that are sold already. My never ending search for a post 2016 swb T32 with a/c and c/c under 100k with bidy coloured bumpers that isnt white or red for £20k or less continues

@Alan Ginger that's an awesome response hehe. My lump sum dissappeared from my pension this year so it's gonna be a solemn affair when I turn 55. Long may that lifestyle continue for you and your GLW!

Last edited:
The right one will turn up. My pal was looking for 18 months leaving deposits and traveling all over. He wanted new as possible and had about 30k to spend, strangely he found the newer ones were never looked after and some added vat when he arrived even though he asked before he traved. He ended up with a mint 5.1 that he wasn't looking for, but was so looked after he couldn't refuse. You will get one just be patient which is easier said then done.

My head is swimming. SO many A/T ads that are sold already. My never ending search for a post 2016 swb T32 with a/c and c/c under 100k with bidy coloured bumpers that isnt white or red for £20k or less continues

@Alan Ginger that's an awesome response hehe. My lump sum dissappeared from my pension this year so it's gonna be a solemn affair when I turn 55. Long may that lifestyle continue for you and your GLW!
How can a pension lump sum disappear? You can question it. You’ve earnt it so can’t be taken away. Lots of info on the internet about these things.

I’ve just dropped my price on the Sportline again

@Badjamin I think thats changing to 57 in 2028 just out of interest how does your lump sum dissappear its 25% of whatever you have accumalated

I recently had a letter from the MOD. When I was in the forces for 3 years when I was a youngen I apparently paid into a pension. Never knew I had it until early this year. If I take the lot when im 55 next month I’ll take away £26k! That’s after tax!
Like you say @Bargy62 how can a pension disappear??

@Bargy62 @BuilderJay it might not have dissappeared. The annual statement for my pension normally has it on so I assumed when it didn't show it that I mighta lost it. It's with L&G so maybe I autta give em a bell. The value dropped significantly since last year. Might be all the world conflicts... #toomanymights

@Bargy62 @BuilderJay it might not have dissappeared. The annual statement for my pension normally has it on so I assumed when it didn't show it that I mighta lost it. It's with L&G so maybe I autta give em a bell. The value dropped significantly since last year. Might be all the world conflicts... #toomanymights
none of my pension statements show a lump sum figure only how much the whole thing is worth probably a good idea to speak to your pension provider as all of mine have gone up quite a bit in the last year

none of my pension statements show a lump sum figure only how much the whole thing is worth probably a good idea to speak to your pension provider as all of mine have gone up quite a bit in the last year
I think it depends on the type of pension & the provider. Mine is a Defined Benefit pension, I got a statement each year showing the min-max lump sum & the monthly pension. As it’s now in payment I elected to take the minimum lump sum & the maximum monthly pension. I’m only 60 & in good health. So I win if I live longer than 9 years after starting to take my pension.

Yeah, last year was particularly good for the global equity market.

Contemplating having a look at this one...
worst colour I think. You need to seriously dress up while to make it look cool. I hate Euro6's but if you are near to a Caz/ULEZ i get you.

When I come to sell my van (5.1 Caravelle 4motion DSG) in a few years time someone is going to get a peach. New engine and turbo's going in next week, I have rebuilt everything else suspension and brakes now. Next year I will sort a few things out inside but currently its been cleaned everywhere, and it would most likely be worth not much by 2028 +/-

My never ending search for a post 2016 swb T32 with a/c and c/c under 100k with bidy coloured bumpers that isnt white or red for £20k or less continues
Hope you find something. I wouldn’t worry too much about limiting yourself to a T32 as you can always up plate a T28/30. I’ve recently up plated my T28 to a MAM of 3150kg (1650 front, 1500 rear) with no need for any modifications. It was a simple paperwork exercise and cost £275. It’s also worth looking at Trendline vans as they have manual aircon, normal cruise and body coloured bumpers (at least mine does!). That may open up a few other options.

It’s also worth looking at Trendline vans as they have manual aircon, normal cruise and body coloured bumpers (at least mine does!). That may open up a few other options.
Mine is a trendline so on the outside it has nice colour coded bumpers and mirrors. But it does not have air con.

My mate last year spent 90k on a big pasture field in worcestershire.... I thought he had lost his mind....turned it into 3 secure dog play runs charging £12 an hour 12 hours a day.
Hes currently averaging 10-12k a month....literally free money.
He now has a new job... every other day he empties the dog poo bins and fills up the water tanks once a week.

And I laughed at him last year

My mate last year spent 90k on a big pasture field in worcestershire.... I thought he had lost his mind....turned it into 3 secure dog play runs charging £12 an hour 12 hours a day.
He now has a new job... every other day he empties the dog poo bins and fills up the water tanks once a week.

I see four different dog walkers round here. One just pounds local streets but the other three whisk dogs off in vans presumably to a field. One company just bought another van so business must be good Guess all those lockdown dogs need care now owners are back in the office.

My daughter dog walks. Good money but the weather can be an arse if it’s wet n muddy!

Back