Insurance popularity question

Went with Tesco last year for a very standard 2016 Shuttle (8 seater) for £300ish. Renewal came in at £550 up front or just under £600 for DD. Called and haggled a bit but their best price is still around £490. Gits.

Caravan Guard, have done for some years

Current renewal only 8% more than 2022.
Have used Comfort Insurance in the past but this year their quote was more than 20% higher than Caravan Guard renewal.

Confused dot com refused to acknowledge that my vehicle exists either as a car or a van! Bless 'em
Gave up with the Meerkat lot because their site is so slow :)

I'll post about my insurers at the beginning of August next year when renewal time arrives. That said, I'm not really looking forward to it as I had the second accident in 2 years in Greece last month and therefore have visions of mega price rises on the horizon. The first accident on New Years Eve 2021 resulted in quite a large repair bill but the other insurers pick up half the tab after reaching an agreement with mine (the accident wasn't my fault but I didn't get any say in the settlement!). When it came to renewal time the following August, I was surprised that my policy only went up in price by £1 and at renewal time this August, the first quote was actually down on the 22 price until I changed the annual mileage from 6K to 10K and it eventually cost me another £10. However, with a £5K plus repair being done at the end of this month due to the 'Greek Incident', I doubt I'll be quite so lucky next August.

'Currently' insured through A PLan who put me with Markerstudy

I've Just had to claim for a replacement windscreen on a 10 month old T6.1 Sportline. Markerstudy have refused to pay for a genuine VW windscreen even though it would affect the vehicle warranty so I'm having to stump up £450 to pay the extra for a genuine screen. My renewal is due in October so I'll be looking elsewhere
Our renewal is due on 1st Nov. We hadn't had a renewal notice so called A plan (now named Howden Insurance) and they advised that Markerstudy weren't offering renewals?

They have placed us with a company called KGM. Not sure what would have happended if I hadn't rung. I'm guessing I'd have been urgently ringing around on the 1st.

I did also ask for a quote on our ID buzz cargo which is due to be renewed in December but was told Howden don't insure electric vans!

Our renewal is due on 1st Nov. We hadn't had a renewal notice so called A plan (now named Howden Insurance) and they advised that Markerstudy weren't offering renewals?

They have placed us with a company called KGM. Not sure what would have happended if I hadn't rung. I'm guessing I'd have been urgently ringing around on the 1st.

I did also ask for a quote on our ID buzz cargo which is due to be renewed in December but was told Howden don't insure electric vans!
Was they’re quote sensible or significantly higher now , been reading insurance companies are hiking premiums?

Was they’re quote sensible or significantly higher now , been reading insurance companies are hiking premiums?
Last year was about £680 for 10k miles, this year is £637 for 4k miles. I'm guessing if I'd kept it at 10k I'd have seen a fair jump. The actaul premium was around £450 this year, the rest was insurance premium tax and broker add ons.

Reactions: MrD

Just renewed with Brenatacre with a Makerstudy policy, I changed from A Plan a year ago as they were ~ £80 more than brentacre for the same Makerstudy policy. All seems a bit random, I tried LV this year and they were £100 more than Breantacre

Just renewed with Brenatacre with a Makerstudy policy, I changed from A Plan a year ago as they were ~ £80 more than brentacre for the same Makerstudy policy. All seems a bit random, I tried LV this year and they were £100 more than Breantacre
If you've just managed to get a Markerstudy policy it looks like I might have been fobbed off by Howdens when I was told that Markerstudy weren't inviting any renewals.

Just taken out first insurance policy since converting the van - fully comp, 5000 annual miles. Got quotes from Adrian Flux (£695 with £850 excess), Brentacre (£495 with £350 excess) and A-Plan (£480 woth £350 excess). Went with A-Plan in the end as they offered longer European cover than Brentacre.A-Plan broker was also keen to point out that they have their own claims management service - not sure if the other companies also have this or if you have to deal directly with underwriters.

Just taken out first insurance policy since converting the van - fully comp, 5000 annual miles. Got quotes from Adrian Flux (£695 with £850 excess), Brentacre (£495 with £350 excess) and A-Plan (£480 woth £350 excess). Went with A-Plan in the end as they offered longer European cover than Brentacre.A-Plan broker was also keen to point out that they have their own claims management service - not sure if the other companies also have this or if you have to deal directly with underwriters.
You wouldn't have to deal with an underwriter, but you'd probably have to deal with an offshore call-centre who may or may not have the cultural context to understand the nuances of a claim (e.g. a mate of mine reported someone had bumped his car whilst he was parked on a garage forecourt - this was recorded by the agent as him being parked in an ornamental garden!?).

If you've just managed to get a Markerstudy policy it looks like I might have been fobbed off by Howdens when I was told that Markerstudy weren't inviting any renewals.
Last year when A Plan were more expensive they said that different brokers get different discounts from the underwriters, and that discount was more at Brentacre. How true that is who knows, but its what they said when I questioned the increase.

My policy needs me and my wife on for business use so A plan orginally said it had to be on a car policy not van, again how true that is I'm not sure.

Last year when A Plan were more expensive they said that different brokers get different discounts from the underwriters
This bit is certainly true.

Back