L/Battery - go large or go lithium?

You’ve probably disconnected the wires from the rear of that cbe fuse panel while disconnecting the spades for the solar.
Forget about it for today, look at it when you don’t have work. It will most likely be something simple that you can sort when you have nothing else to focus on and a brew in your hand.
This is sensible.

I have not touched back of CBE though so I am concerned I’ve chopped through something important in last few days work! Dammit thought it was going too well:)

I agree with Big Si, leave it until you have time and are not at work.

I don’t think you’ve done anything wrong. All the signs are a loose connection somewhere. The will likely be a pos cable from the LB to the back of the van that provides power for the habitation and also the solar charge to the LB. If there is a loose connection here that will explain your issues (wildly changing LB voltage at the MPPT and have not working). I suspect the circled connection in the pic below isn’t helping as it looks to be loose.

IMG_0293.jpeg

Otherwise check the 3 cables connected here are all getting power (probably from LB and MPPT - not sure where the third is from).

I’ll get some more photos/ info etc.

I have some time off Monday so hope to crack it all then (getting isolators and shunt in too)

Okay, out of work, panel off to see wiring for solar.

See pics-

Nothing seemed loose.

Reconnected Solar and working (hab lights/ fridge etc).

BUT when Solar disconnected.

So seems I have done something during under driver seat as leisure battery not now powering anything in hab.

Could this be a fuse? Would this account for the bizzare readings?!.

Photo bomb follows-

Deffo seems a problem, took some serial photos when I ran just in solar and turned fridge and lights on, went NUTS

B005A9EE-89FF-4CAD-A2C6-251B135FD587.png

47AAE853-7CBA-4536-A692-3D33F6165FDB.png

127DE9EA-DC5B-4369-BA81-C8F7E61C05AD.png

BF9AB648-32A9-4895-A126-98FABE1A9146.png

6C5BD000-E29B-4942-84F9-91FBD353F464.png

9748651F-B410-4AAF-A242-03732EF08682.png

So seems to be two problems.

Solar has gone haywire?! Don’t know why.

And I’ve cut power to rear of van

I don't think your solar has gone haywire, I think it's just got an unreliable and possibly high resistance connection to the battery that is throwing the MPPT and charging algorithms all over the place.

I'd start by making sure it's set to a 12v battery and it's not tying to automatically determine the battery voltage range, then check the wiring.

I don't think your solar has gone haywire, I think it's just got an unreliable and possibly high resistance connection to the battery that is throwing the MPPT and charging algorithms all over the place.

I'd start by making sure it's set to a 12v battery and it's not tying to automatically determine the battery voltage range, then check the wiring.
BF016634-C38C-472F-B534-61F695973CC0.pngSeems when placed under loadthe numbers pop all over place.

And second prob of no leisure battery power to hab

It's a bit tricky to read your diagram but if you have no power with the solar disconnected and odd power with solar connected then one possibility is that the solar is trying to directly power the load with no connection to the battery.

If you tried to splice into the feed to the 4 way CBE format fuse box then I would double check carefully the connections and fuses between that and the battery as that feels like where your fault lies.

Have a good tug test of any crimps as well, if one of them comes under mechanical load a bad crimp may be pulling apart.

There are a few too many connections on the back of the little fuse panel for my liking with all that cope conduit - feels like there is mechanical strain bound to happen somewhere.

Has worked fine up until now. But bigger prob seems to be I’ve somehow stopped power from LB heading into rear of van.

This was all working fine befire my grubby mitts started work

On problem a- Solar. Any mileage in buying a spool of automotive wire, and coming away from the spade connectors, instead wiring directly to LB etc, to see if solves issues, and then if so, find a pathway through van for tidy wiring. Or not?

And problem b- no power from
LB to Hab, should I replace all fuses as a starting point? See if one/ more have blown?

It's a bit tricky to read your diagram but if you have no power with the solar disconnected and odd power with solar connected then one possibility is that the solar is trying to directly power the load with no connection to the battery.

If you tried to splice into the feed to the 4 way CBE format fuse box then I would double check carefully the connections and fuses between that and the battery as that feels like where your fault lies.
Quoted to bring your attention to this, it may be you only have one problem with 2 symptoms.

For now disconnect the wiring between the Solar MPPT and the leisure system and focus on what is causing your leisure battery to not be supplying power.

I think your wiring in the solar has disturbed the feed to that fuse box from the battery, or blown a fuse doing the same.

Fix that and I think you will solve your solar issue too - though you may need to consider how to reinstate it so it doesn't happen again.

Quoted to bring your attention to this, it may be you only have one problem with 2 symptoms.

For now disconnect the wiring between the Solar MPPT and the leisure system and focus on what is causing your leisure battery to not be supplying power.

I think your wiring in the solar has disturbed the feed to that fuse box from the battery, or blown a fuse doing the same.

Fix that and I think you will solve your solar issue too - though you may need to consider how to reinstate it so it doesn't happen again.
Thank you,

I’ve disconnected panels for now.

I have left all panels in cupboards accessible to try and understand problem.

I have ordered some chunky auto electrical wire to see if I can temporarily wire positive if mppt to LB and see if that is stable. If so I may need to consider routing a permanent cable (thus obviating the need for the cbe spades).

On the problem of hab not receiving power from LB, I will try and replace all fuses one at a time under driver seat and see if that reinstates power.

Does that sound reasonable?

Back