L/Battery - go large or go lithium?

Yeah definitely something not right, the LB voltage should match across the board, within 0.05v or so (rounded):

1000010128.png
1000010129.png
1000010130.png

I have mppt solar/ dc to dc/ ip22 etc in Victron. So app gets used. Figured sensible to keep aligned. Not wanting a wired screen cos I can’t be bothered threading wires everywhere.
Sounds sensible. Also what I did (that doesn’t necessarily make it sensible…!!).

Context. Solar wired into wardrobe wiring (back of something with spade connector). Always worked beautifully.
Do you have a pic of this? Sounds odd as the solar cables go direct into the Victron mppt as bare wires (or crimped ferrules). Where do the spade connectors go?

Right, so good news first…

Drove hour to work, DC to DC worked beautifully.

Bad news, changed Solar profile to Lifepo.

NUMBERS HAVE GONE HAYWIRE.

I have disconnected panels.

I can’t post videos but took multiple photos.

When viewing Solar in app, every second the numbers ALL change. It states BULK/ OFF/ BULK/ OFF etc and the voltages are ALL OVER THE PLACE.

I welcome all theories.

In answer to @Bigsidavies question. I followed guidance on here (you have seen my lack of skill:)), spade connectors attached piggy back from the Victron mppt onto the rear of a unit in wardrobe (unit fascia in hab area), when I did this the numbers always did show a jump around (battery did charge), I’d gone back to company who sold the panels and controller and asked if normal, could this be a controller issue? Is it my wiring??

I will try and dig out pictures from install

My theory is a bad connection somewhere. Start with this spades. I presume then that your solar cables come straight from the panel into the van then the first connection is the spade terminals?

Well those pics look like the loose connection may be between battery and mppt as the battery voltage reading is all over the place.
Get those connections checked asap as loose connections cause heat build up.
Keep the solar disconnected while checking the battery connections. You shouldn’t have solar input into the mppt with no battery connected as it can damage the mppt controller.

My theory is a bad connection somewhere. Start with this spades. I presume then that your solar cables come straight from the panel into the van then the first connection is the spade terminals?
Panels connect through a hole in pop top and routed to ‘wardrobe’.

I followed the step by step on the install and was very happy to use spade piggy backs rather than try and route a wire all through van to leisure battery.

I will leave all disconnected until I can get some proper pictures of wiring side of install.

So where is your mppt located? In the front near the battery or in the rear?
Are the spade connectors between mppt and battery or panel and mppt?

Edit. The penny might have dropped here. So you already had wires from the rear cupboard to the leisure battery and you spliced into those using piggy back spades.

Last edited:
What is the CBE circular component those spade connectors are attached to? What is the routing of the cables from the MPPT to the LB?

It looks almost certainly like a wiring issue.

So where is your mppt located? In the front near the battery or in the rear?
Are the spade connectors between mppt and battery or panel and mppt?

Edit. The penny might have dropped here. So you already had wires from the rear cupboard to the leisure battery and you spliced into those using piggy back spades.
YES! So I was advised use that as I lacked confidence/ skill to get a wire through to LB, so in answer to this and following question from @ginkster i don’t have the foggiest what wiring from there to LB looks like.

Maybe. Just methodically check everything in relation to the solar.
Start with those spades. Check one thing at a time then reconnect and see if it cures it - otherwise you won’t know where the original problem was for future reference.
Also, if those spades are between solar controller and battery then you should have no input from the solar panels into the controller without the solar controller connected to the battery.
Throw a thick blanket over the solar panel if you can’t disconnect the panel from the mppt easily.

Last edited:
Maybe. Just methodically check everything in relation to the solar.
Start with those spades. Check one thing at a time then reconnect and see if it cures it - otherwise you won’t know where the original problem was for future reference.
Also, if those spades are between solar and battery then you should have no input from the solar panels into the controller without the solar controller connected to the battery.
Throw a thick blanket over the solar panel if you can’t disconnect the panel from the mppt easily.
I’ve disconnect all panels at external connections (grey push clip style connectors).

I will do some investigating!

What is the CBE circular component the spades are connected to? This:

IMG_0292.png
Also the very bottom connection is not on fully so likely causing issues.

image.jpgIt’s the back of this top right.

I have gone out to van and note I don’t seem to have any power to hab now?

Fridge won’t turn on, lights won’t turn on.

What have I done?!

Battery has a great charge so I’ve either disconnected something important or a fuse has gone?!

You’ve probably disconnected the wires from the rear of that cbe fuse panel while disconnecting the spades for the solar.
Forget about it for today, look at it when you don’t have work. It will most likely be something simple that you can sort when you have nothing else to focus on and a brew in your hand.

Back