L/Battery - go large or go lithium?

And do I wire the red new cable from Solar to battery directly (With fuse) so the kill switch doesn’t stop Solar charging lb on the occasion I have the LB electrics switched off? Does that make sense?

And do I wire the red new cable from Solar to battery directly (With fuse) so the kill switch doesn’t stop Solar charging lb on the occasion I have the LB electrics switched off? Does that make sense?
Won't doing that allow the solar to charge the battery in really cold weather though?

I wasn’t sure whether a scenario would present whereby I may want leisure electrics off, but Solar on? Or am I overthinking it? Instead should just add a small switch to turn DC to DC off on the occasion I am using van but want leisure battery sat at 50%,

Am I grasping? Or overthinking

Overthinking :thumbsup:

A small switch in the ignition signal to the DC-DC is an easy retrofit if you need to do it later. Get it done, use it, find out what works for you.

And does anything out of what I’ve installed ‘beep’

Drive today and intermittent single beep whole journey, no warning lights etc no pattern to beeps

Overthinking :thumbsup:

A small switch in the ignition signal to the DC-DC is an easy retrofit if you need to do it later. Get it done, use it, find out what works for you.
So stick Solar positive into busbar near lb?

And do I need battery protect Victron?

Thanks so much

So stick Solar positive into busbar near lb?

And do I need battery protect Victron?

Thanks so much
Yep, just make sure it's got the 20/25a fuse next to the busbar.

And the battery protect - keep it if it's already in place, it will cut off your 12v devices if the battery gets low - I don't have one but if I've ever used 200+ah of battery (plus solar) then I think I'll know about it!

Yeah, straight to busbar near LB with fuse as mentioned above. You already have a cut off switch for the solar on the incoming side. Also your battery has built in heater and a BMS to prevent any cold weather issues.

Yep, just make sure it's got the 20/25a fuse next to the busbar.

And the battery protect - keep it if it's already in place, it will cut off your 12v devices if the battery gets low - I don't have one but if I've ever used 200+ah of battery (plus solar) then I think I'll know about it!
Hadn’t bought battery protect won’t if not essential

Aim for 20% as your "I should charge soon" and 10% as your "turn everything you can off" level.

If you run a LiFePo to the level the BMS cuts off you can sometimes have an issue getting them to charge - as there is no voltage at the battery terminals many chargers will assume they are disconnected and shut down - and without an incoming voltage the BMS will not reconnect the terminals. There are ways around it but easier to avoid that situation.

Don't stress about it, just remember not to run it dead flat, like you wouldn't drive your van until it was out of fuel, and life will be easy.

Aim for 20% as your "I should charge soon" and 10% as your "turn everything you can off" level.

If you run a LiFePo to the level the BMS cuts off you can sometimes have an issue getting them to charge - as there is no voltage at the battery terminals many chargers will assume they are disconnected and shut down - and without an incoming voltage the BMS will not reconnect the terminals. There are ways around it but easier to avoid that situation.

Don't stress about it, just remember not to run it dead flat, like you wouldn't drive your van until it was out of fuel, and life will be easy.
You say don’t run out of fuel but I must admit I playing diesel roulette trying to get the wife to fill her up;)

Only been caught out once haha

I wasn’t sure whether a scenario would present whereby I may want leisure electrics off, but Solar on? Or am I overthinking it? Instead should just add a small switch to turn DC to DC off on the occasion I am using van but want leisure battery sat at 50%,

Am I grasping? Or overthinking
I understand your thinking but I think you may be thinking too hard! :D

LB isolator is primarily for totally isolating the LB for maintenance or the rare occasion you may want to turn the leisure system off completely.

Solar panel isolator again is for maintenance and to prevent solar charging when you don’t want it.

A switch on the ignition signal to the DC-DC is purely to prevent it charging when the engine is started.

Your ip65 mains charger is also switched at the plug so you can stop it charging if you plug in EHU.

I find I only ever use the main LB isolator for maintenance as I want to be able to use the LB regularly, even if it’s just to pop a light in in the back while rummaging in the dark.

I use the DC-DC and solar switches regularly as I don’t need or want the LB constantly topped up to full every time the sun comes out or I start the van. When I am off camping I just pop them on to top up. In reality the DC-DC is vary rarely needed and I’ve not even bothered to fit my ip65 as I don’t use EHU now I have lifepo4 and solar. Freedom from EHU was the whole point for me.

As RT says the ignition signal switch is a very easy upgrade at a later date so don’t worry now.

I understand your thinking but I think you may be thinking too hard! :D

LB isolator is primarily for totally isolating the LB for maintenance or the rare occasion you may want to turn the leisure system off completely.

Solar panel isolator again is for maintenance and to prevent solar charging when you don’t want it.

A switch on the ignition signal to the DC-DC is purely to prevent it charging when the engine is started.

Your ip65 mains charger is also switched at the plug so you can stop it charging if you plug in EHU.

I find I only ever use the main LB isolator for maintenance as I want to be able to use the LB regularly, even if it’s just to pop a light in in the back while rummaging in the dark.

I use the DC-DC and solar switches regularly as I don’t need or want the LB constantly topped up to full every time the sun comes out or I start the van. When I am off camping I just pop them on to top up. In reality the DC-DC is vary rarely needed and I’ve not even bothered to fit my ip65 as I don’t use EHU now I have lifepo4 and solar. Freedom from EHU was the whole point for me.

As RT says the ignition signal switch is a very easy upgrade at a later date so don’t worry now.
Heroes every one of you!

I’ll tidy up all wires tomorrow and fit a switch to Dc to Dc and then that’s me done!

Bloody marvellous the support received !

Back