Living in Wales with 20mph limit #regen

Magpie1832

Model maker extraordinaire
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Having had the speed limit now for a few weeks. I wasn't too bothered as I only drive slow anyhow. I was getting around 38mpg before the change then it went up to 45mpg I though Bonus..
UNTIL!!!!! The T6 went into a regeneration. Driving at 20mph while regen is ongoing isn't good.
I have the VAG regen app so monitor everything all the time.
The temp of the exhaust kept fluctuating as not going fast enough it would go to 620 degrees (normal) then down to 400. The mpg was also down to 18. The regen normally gets to 24% soot then stops. This time it was 38% when it had enough and 40 mins later (normally about 20).
It had used just under quarter tank of diesel aswell.
So 20 mph isn't good for dpfs. If it stopped at 38% this time what is it next time until there's no way back.

Diesels dont like short and slow trips for sure. My old BiTDI does very well watching on Carista, but I only do longer trips in it

Having had the speed limit now for a few weeks. I wasn't too bothered as I only drive slow anyhow. I was getting around 38mpg before the change then it went up to 45mpg I though Bonus..
UNTIL!!!!! The T6 went into a regeneration. Driving at 20mph while regen is ongoing isn't good.
The temp of the exhaust kept fluctuating as not going fast enough it would go to 620 degrees (normal) then down to 400. The mpg was also down to 18. The regen normally gets to 24% soot then stops. This time it was 38% when it had enough and 40 mins later (normally about 20).
So 20 mph isn't good for dpfs. If it stopped at 38% this time what is it next time until there's no way back.
Drakeford ain't interested in the unintended consequences of his idiocy. The 20mph scam is just a "Look at ME ME ME! Aren't I clever. I'm doing something" virtue-signalling vanity project.

How do you do the monitoring? Is there a separate thread somewhere on the forum? Thanks

If you've got a carista of any obd Bluetooth reader then all you need is the VAG dpf app on app store.

presumably don't need a carista subscription? Just the device and the app? Have seen one called 'DPF monitor for VAG' on the iOS app store

For those that don't monitor this all of the time, I guess they'd never realise and the DPF would do another regen once the road allowed.

As you are monitoring this, would upping the engine speed by using a lower gear not have the same effect as driving at 30mph?

Sounds like worth a try but I think they only regen after certain speed. Most of the time at 20mph your doing less for the older people driving in front.

The morons in Wales put in average speed cameras past Port Toilet and dropped the speed to 50. Their excuse was for better air quality, while Tata steel spews out fumes galore. :mad: Now with the 20mph, my van cant run in third gear, so its in 2nd putting out more fumes for a longer period due to the speed.
These guys are idiots. No common sense. We need to push back like the French do. They took down all the cameras a few years back as they were not consulted properly.

I spent the weekend in Penyffordd, my friend said that it cost £35million to amend all the 30mph signs, some of the roads were absolutely horrendous, the £35m would of been better off being invested in them.

Saying that with the amount of police around it won't take long to recoup £35m in fines!

Driving up from Pensarn to Towyn today in the 20mph zone a pushbike was leaving us standing in our T6.1 but once in the 40 mph zone we were able to pass him.
Its ludicrous that a push bike is travelling faster than a car or van.

John.

As speed limits only apply to motorised vehicles I've been overtaking my fair share of cars on my pushbike when my rides venture into Powys. It doesn't always go down too well tho', despite me making sure I give them at least 1.5m of space.

Im happy for 20 mph in side roads and streets full of homes and familys , however some the 20 roads are just plain silly crawling up hills at 20 is a menace
Although drafting a car at 20mph up hill on the Strava segments is great on a bike.

Im happy for 20 mph in side roads and streets full of homes and familys , however some the 20 roads are just plain silly crawling up hills at 20 is a menace
Totally agree, 20 is appropriate in some circumstances, such as going past a school at 3.30 pm.
I think the approach taken by the Welsh authorities is just madness, driving past the same school at 2.00 am a 20 limit isn't justified.

Driving up from Pensarn to Towyn today in the 20mph zone a pushbike was leaving us standing in our T6.1 but once in the 40 mph zone we were able to pass him.
Its ludicrous that a push bike is travelling faster than a car or van.

John.
I thought that was part of the scheme to encourage more people to cycle and walk?
I’d definitely use my bike more if there was a 20MPH limit.

I thought that was part of the scheme to encourage more people to cycle and walk?
That is the aspiration. 'active travel' is what they call it and have hailed it as the silver bullet to congestion. All very well in the summer months but this is wales not southern Spain When its dark, raining and gusting 40+ knots on your commute to work its a different story, then ill just get my local, clean, regular, reliable, cost efficient, non crowded, quick public transport..... oh wait...

edit: @DXX this was not aimed at you, just more of a rant in general following your observation

Who wants to cycle to work when it is 20 plus miles away and 90% of the time its pissing with rain ;)

Who wants to cycle to work when it is 20 plus miles away and 90% of the time its pissing with rain ;)

If you work 20+ miles from home, the chances are that very little of that will be in a 20/30mph limit, so for most of the journey, nothing will change so we'll all stay in our cars. Those that work 2-3 miles away across town, cycling could work and get you there faster. That's assuming that you have somewhere to shower and change at work, but then that will take longer than the time saved by cycling.

Feck it, I'm leaving my cycling for long weekend head down, arse up blasts.

Back