MIB2 PQ Discover Media - Infotainment mods, upgrade, FEC / SWaP

Great work Robert :)
I'm at exactly the same stage as you seem to be on this. I have upgraded from v475 to v478 as I want the vehicle menu. My OPS overlay disappeared on upgrading and when I looked at the graphics inside v478 it only has Amarok and Crafter (plus MAN equivalent) commercial vehicle images. It turns out that v475 is the latest version for Transporter (but it has no vehicle menu of course as this vehicle never had this function) , so for the OPS I will copy the graphics into v478 but for now I have coded my 5F as a Crafter, same as you I'm guessing. V0.7 of the MIB2STD toolbox for the GEM is a great help too.

The REAL question I have is: what do we need to do to get all these menu's working (I don't even have oil temp in the compass) Nothing works, I have tried most BAP databus settings and I'm guessing some CAN frames are missing or are not being routed onto the infotainment bus. What do we need to do, SW upgrade to BCM / CAN gateway or dash insert / clocks? I do not have the colour MFD like you have, just black and white standard highline. Keep up the great work mate!!

what do we need to do to get all these menu's working

Strangely i have Oil Temp available :)
But i have the CFCA EU5 Engine (EDC17)

My guess is that DM is getting Oil Temp and Water Temp from Can Messages that are missing in your T6 because it is a CAN Message only used in MQB.
Or a CAN Message not used by your T6 EU6 Engine (DCM 6.2)

There are two ways:

1. Develop a CAN Bridge that will Translate the CAN Messages for DM.
2. Patch DM to react on those PQ CAN Messages

Both just need some time for implementation ...

Haha, that looks great! It really pops and you can definitely say that is now personalised! I'm being very lazy and haven't done mine yet - My van is black with black wheels, so I'm still thinking how to make that look good against the black background. I may just end up putting a generic T6 on there in silver or white. Better than a Crafter at least! Have you replaced the OPS graphics too? T6 images for that will be in your original firmware ;)

Haha, that looks great! It really pops and you can definitely say that is now personalised! I'm being very lazy and haven't done mine yet - My van is black with black wheels, so I'm still thinking how to make that look good against the black background. I may just end up putting a generic T6 on there in silver or white. Better than a Crafter at least! Have you replaced the OPS graphics too? T6 images for that will be in your original firmware ;)
Bright vehicles look good. Dark colours are a little bit more challenging. You could add some effects from Photoshop/Gimp(or equivalent software). I still need to add interior photo for my Convenience Consumers menu entry and for fader/balance screen.

I've probably missed something in the history of this thread but is this something we'll all be able to do?

Custom pictures are DIY and it is quite simple process.

Just extract the picture package.
Screenshot_20210703-222205_Gallery.jpg

Replace desired pictures with any generic or own custom ones and then pack it back.
Screenshot_20210703-222157_Gallery.jpg

Next upload it to the unit and enjoy :cool:.

Thanks for taking the time @Robert to show the process much obliged, I'll have a play in the near future.

Regarding upgrading the head unit to later versions, I take it this is still a challenge? I think my older version prevents the always on display of the vehicle status when power cycled.

Regarding DM update the following should be noted.
All hardware versions are associated with and designed for specific software versions.
Hardware versions HW2x are designed for software versions 02xx , HW3x for SW03xx & HW4x for SW04xx.
Obviously the most desirable software version is 0478 and this can be installed on all HW versions.
For HW4x it is direct and straight forward update but for HW3x & HW2x the process is quite sophisticated.
Basically the unit needs to be patched to accept updates beyond its designed range.
And then the update itself(metainfo2.txt) also requires patching
so the unit can read the files from the correct locations after the update.

Finally able to spend a little time on this today. The missing link of the puzzle for me was the requirement for mibstd toolbox. Considering I'm on a older version of the engineering menu "Gem 3.5" I had to patch the SD card.

Reactions: mmi
I don't know how I happened upon this thread, but I'm glad I did :D Never thought I'd hear the word 'QNX' again either, I remember playing with it 20 years ago back when I had plenty of time for weird and wonderful operating systems...

Anyway, I tried the steps previously with adaptations to get Offroad menu, which works until you come out and can't get back in again without doing the Hybrid trick. I have a 5C0035680B, HW 22, SW 0252, retrofitted into a T5.1, bought with CP off and all features enabled (allegedly) from an eBay seller in Poland. Turns out not the case - lots of FEC available but not active, but from reading some of the links, that's maybe not such a big deal now.

I am keen to update my software to get the new skin and extra features, I think I have the relevant tools, files and info required. What I don't want to do is end up worse off than I started, I have no idea what the people have done to this unit to enable features/remove CP. I do get some DTCs from the unit, which seem to correlate with someone playing with the software, and from reading, it seems there's simple ways to remove 2 of them (1555/1556).

Code:
Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794)       Labels:| 5G0-035-MIB-STD2.clb
   Part No SW: 5C0 035 680 B    HW: 5C0 035 680 B
   Component: MU-S-N-ER     H22 0252
   Serial number: --------------
   Coding: 06570001FF00000001110001010808001F01008600200100CF
   Shop #: WSC 12345 123 12345
   ASAM Dataset: EV_MUStd4CTSAT 001022
   ROD: EV_MUStd4CTSAT_VW32.rod
   VCID: 204F55873BC3EA8422-8074

Data carrier:
   Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5NA 919 866 BG    HW: -----------
   Component: ECE AS 2021  --- 1520
   Serial number: --------------------

4 Faults Found:
1555 - Check Software Version Management
          B201A 00 [009] - -
          [New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]
          Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 6
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 32
                    Mileage: 206876 km
                    Date: 2021.05.31
                    Time: 17:45:18

Voltage terminal 30: 11.6 V
                    Status_Software_Version_Management-module_name:

1556 - Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error
          B2000 87 [009] - Missing message
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 6

Voltage terminal 30: 11.9 V
                    System_Software_Error-SW_Status_Consistency: 04 01 01
                    System_Software_Error-SW_Status_Device: o

15360256 - Component Protection
          U1101 00 [009] - Active
          [New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 4
                    Date: 2021.06.02
                    Time: 14:41:46

Voltage terminal 30: 11.7 V

2565 - GPS Antenna
          B1054 13 [009] - Open Circuit
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Priority: 4
                    Date: 2021.05.31
                    Time: 17:45:19

Voltage terminal 30: 11.6 V

The update history on the unit also appears to indicate something has been messed with/changed (see attached).

16281505718670.jpg

I entered the GEM but there's no Mib2std Toolbox.
So really I have no idea what the people have done to the unit before, and I highly suspect they won't want to tell me as they'll think I am trying to copy their business or something.

So first question, will doing a software update remove any previous software corrections to CP/FEC/SWaP? I think it should be OK to repeat all the software corrections with the new update if it is required. I appreciate most people here won't have CP issues due to the unit coming with the vehicle from factory, but from memory of previous discussions here/other forums @dnoermann and @Adams are running T5.1s too.

Second question, will doing a software update with the above corrections interfere with anything if it turns out to be a hardware correction for CP?

Last question, I'm not sure how the software CP correction works, but if it works in a similar way to the hardware one where it resets the timer on each switch-on, would this affect the units maximum running time if, say, the software CP correction disappeared for a while due to an error by me, but was then re-applied later with new update?

I appreciate some of this may not be allowed, so apologies in advance...PM if required. In the meantime I'll keep reading...

Updated DM to 253 from 245. I'm not brave enough to go to 4xx (yet)

Last edited:
Anyone have an Admap of 5F they could share please.
I have performance monitor (HMI) enabled 00060400 and I'm hoping to get the button to show on my DM unit :)

Anyone have an Admap of 5F they could share please.
I have performance monitor (HMI) enabled 00060400 and I'm hoping to get the button to show on my DM unit :)
Try enabling these

ENG122227-ENG126148-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_SportHMI

ENG122227-ENG126149-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_SportHMI_over_threshold_high

Try enabling these

ENG122227-ENG126148-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_SportHMI

ENG122227-ENG126149-Car_Function_Adaptations_Gen2-menu_display_SportHMI_over_threshold_high

Already tried those
(Sorry should have mentioned).

Was hoping to spot some issues either in the long coding or car function list BAP2 but there doesn't seem to be any obvious links that I can see.

Back