Panel Van to Camper project

Millstone

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi everyone,

Been lurking for a couple of weeks having just bought my first transporter. So much amazing info here.

I’ve gone with a black 6.1 high line panel which I’m going to convert in to a camper over the next yr or so.

Not sure where I’m heading yet but my side windows and new jigsaw blades are arriving this week so that’s job 1.

Thanks all,

IMG_9668.jpeg

Thanks! Unsure at the moment tbh but thinking day van.

I have a good idea where I want to be with the exterior…

but being pretty new to campers I need to spend time figuring out the best setup for my needs and what options are available.

Lots of great inspiration and info on this forum :)

Reactions: CAB
Hi everyone,

Been lurking for a couple of weeks having just bought my first transporter. So much amazing info here.

I’ve gone with a black 6.1 high line panel which I’m going to convert in to a camper over the next yr or so.

Not sure where I’m heading yet but my side windows and new jigsaw blades are arriving this week so that’s job 1.

Thanks all,

View attachment 244962
see if you can get a nibbler rather than using a jigsaw for the windows. A nibbler is less traumatic & less likely to pull the panels out of shape. Also, save a piece of the window cutout & sikaflex it on the inside of the side door where the blue circle is. This helps to defend against one of the common attacks, where they punch through the outer skin & trip the side door catch.
1717870376191.png

Thanks appreciate the tips! I’ve been watching tuts and seen people using nibblers but it’s not a tool I have. Maybe I can find one. Had no idea about enforcing that area so thanks for that tip!

You can use a nibbler attachment on your drill. Cost about £30 but you have to adapt it slightly so it doesn’t leave a 5mm lip around the edge.
But it leaves a perfectly smooth edge and no metal swarf and it only takes a couple of minutes to cut out each panel.

Hello from Huddersfield and Welcome to the show Millstone!

That's a lovely base van - Good luck with the build!

You can use a nibbler attachment on your drill. Cost about £30 but you have to adapt it slightly so it doesn’t leave a 5mm lip around the edge.
But it leaves a perfectly smooth edge and no metal swarf and it only takes a couple of minutes to cut out each panel.

Amazing thanks, I’ll read up today and get one ordered.

Hello from Huddersfield and Welcome to the show Millstone!

That's a lovely base van - Good luck with the build!

Thanks! It’s an interesting configuration. 150, no bulkhead and tailgate with glass. Couldn’t resist.

Amazing thanks, I’ll read up today and get one ordered.

Thanks! It’s an interesting configuration. 150, no bulkhead and tailgate with glass. Couldn’t resist.
I’ll find you some pics of how I altered it with an angle grinder to create a flat spot that sits on the internal frame of the window while you cut, allowing the metal punch to be up against the frame.

I’ll find you some pics of how I altered it with an angle grinder to create a flat spot that sits on the internal frame of the window while you cut, allowing the metal punch to be up against the frame.

Thanks a lot that would be great. I ordered this one earlier

Presume you cut from inside this way and the cut out yiu’ve made allows you to follow the frame?

Thanks a lot. Hah yeah i’ve seen those a few times in preparation. The Kira tut is really good, that chap is great at explaining everything simply.

It’s the flush glass from camper glass that I’m putting in.

Thanks a lot. Hah yeah i’ve seen those a few times in preparation. The Kira tut is really good, that chap is great at explaining everything simply.

It’s the flush glass from camper glass that I’m putting in.
I'm gonna wait til I have the carpet lining ready to go and then do windows and carpet at same time.
Will do back window cut out first, carpet and then bond them on and see what the weather is doing...
then do near side with the option to use the awning if it starts raining
then the off side will be the tru gamble hehe
Really lookin forward to it tbh

I'm gonna wait til I have the carpet lining ready to go and then do windows and carpet at same time.
Will do back window cut out first, carpet and then bond them on and see what the weather is doing...
then do near side with the option to use the awning if it starts raining
then the off side will be the tru gamble hehe
Really lookin forward to it tbh

Good plan. Sounds like you don’t have the luxury of a garage either. I’m going to wait for a warm still day. May be a while! You’re van’s looking great btw !

I want to carpet up to the window too but not ready to carpet yet. I read on here that it’s possible to use 4 small strips of j trim in each corner when installing the glass, remove them after … and tuck the carpet in later. Hopefully that will work.

Yeah I cut from the inside. I used a hole saw to put a hole in each corner then realised that with the nibbler you only need to drill a small hole in one place.
Use the window suction handles and get a person to hold the panel for safe removal.IMG_5593.jpegIMG_0171.jpegIMG_0170.jpeg
Hopefully this shows where I ground the nibbler to a flat spot. You can then sit that flat spot on the inner frame and the nibbled cuts right up to the edge.
You get 2 of those attachments in the kit in case you balls one up.
First pic gives you an idea of how clean the cut is.

This video gives you an idea, but the guy is really untidy. I think he’s using the drill too slowly. The speed of the drill dictates how fast the nibbler punch moves in and out - too slow and it struggles to punch its way through. Fast drill speed and moving the drill at a steady pace is what you need.
Also, drill a hole in the middle of the panel you are going to remove and them have a good practice in this panel which will end up as scrap once removed.
You’ll need to use a jigsaw or recip with fine metal blade to remove the strengthening bars in the centre of the panels on the van sides.

Yeah I cut from the inside. I used a hole saw to put a hole in each corner then realised that with the nibbler you only need to drill a small hole in one place.
Use the window suction handles and get a person to hold the panel for safe removal.View attachment 245252View attachment 245253View attachment 245254
Hopefully this shows where I ground the nibbler to a flat spot. You can then sit that flat spot on the inner frame and the nibbled cuts right up to the edge.
You get 2 of those attachments in the kit in case you balls one up.
First pic gives you an idea of how clean the cut is.

Awesome thanks so much. Great idea to notch it out. Made a really clean cut on that tailgate. The one I ordered looks the same. I’ll grind it out and do exactly this. I was planning to use a hole saw but if it’s not necessary then great. Presume you just tickled the edge with a file after?

This video gives you an idea, but the guy is really untidy. I think he’s using the drill too slowly. The speed of the drill dictates how fast the nibbler punch moves in and out - too slow and it struggles to punch its way through. Fast drill speed and moving the drill at a steady pace is what you need.
Also, drill a hole in the middle of the panel you are going to remove and them have a good practice in this panel which will end up as scrap once removed.
You’ll need to use a jigsaw or recip with fine metal blade to remove the strengthening bars in the centre of the panels on the van sides.

Thanks, can’t see a link tho sorry? I was pondering whether a slower drill speed with high torque or faster speed with lower torque would be better. Sounds like the later. Good idea to practice on the panel first. Will be sure to remove that bar too.

Awesome thanks so much. Great idea to notch it out. Made a really clean cut on that tailgate. The one I ordered looks the same. I’ll grind it out and do exactly this. I was planning to use a hole saw but if it’s not necessary then great. Presume you just tickled the edge with a file after?

Thanks, can’t see a link tho sorry? I was pondering whether a slower drill speed with high torque or faster speed with lower torque would be better. Sounds like the later. Good idea to practice on the panel first. Will be sure to remove that bar too.
No filing required after if you’re neat. The metal edge isn’t sharp.

Here’s the link I forgot lol

No filing required after if you’re neat. The metal edge isn’t sharp.

Here’s the link I forgot lol

Thanks for the link. Really useful to see the same tool being used. Looks like a way more controllable and cleaner method than a hole cutter and jigsaw.

Back