Personal number plates

Will I look like a Prat?

• Yes, remember your roots

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • No, aspire to rise above your station

Votes: 62 81.6%

• Total voters
Which site did you use to search for this?
Sorry, I should probably elaborate; I’m looking for a plate (std looking, mean nothing to anyone else and would make my vehicle look older!) and it appears that it’s not just unavailable but it looks like it was never issued even though the letter combination was for every other year and it isn’t offensive etc. It would be good to check

Probably worth more than the cars they put them on!

This is often the case with some of the landed gentry I end up working for. Their plates have been in the family for ever. They have no interest in cars, but like to keep using Great Grandads number plate. Whilst his 300 year old silver is locked away, a number plate is something that can be used and enjoyed but not get worn out.

Been looking a for a plate for an age, found P13 RRE as SWMBO calls me Pierre I thought alright but not at £5K.
Still looking now. Not one T32 plate available anywhere. :unsure:

• Wow
Reactions: CAB
Been looking a for a plate for an age, found P13 RRE as SWMBO calls me Pierre I thought alright but not at £5K.
Still looking now. Not one T32 plate available anywhere. :unsure:
Drop many subtle (a a few not so subtle) hints at SWMBO about possible Xmas presents!!!

Mmmm, this thread has just cost me money.
Had a little search for VW 51 ALY and there it was so I’ve just bought a plate for Si and Aly and their VW.
So how soon can I get the plates made up? I’ve never had a private plate before.
I’m quite excited.

Reactions: CAB
Form from DVLA arrives in 3 or 4 days, take that to your number plate maker along with driving licence. Send form off with V5 to DVLA. New V5 and MOT arrives after a few days. Notify insurers and stick plates on!

Form from DVLA arrives in 3 or 4 days, take that to your number plate maker along with driving licence. Send form off with V5 to DVLA. New V5 and MOT arrives after a few days. Notify insurers and stick plates on!
Thanks. That’s a much better explanation than on the DVLA website.
Pity I can’t get it on before I start the NC500 tomorrow afternoon. Ah well.

Great thanks, this seems to confirm what I thought, the plate doesn’t seem to have been issued. Does anyone know if it’s possible to get the dvla to issue it?
@cgtmiles
I had that with mine not issued email the the DVLA and ask if it has been issued
They emailed back saying not issued am I interested in it
Yes
They then said it would be issued and put in a timed auction
Starting price £130 no other bidders happy days
You have to open an account with dvla to bid and pay for it
They even notified me when it was released for auction but thats another thing you can sign up for auction notifications
Sounds a bit of a faff but it's real easy

So how soon can I get the plates made up? I’ve never had a private plate before.
I’m quite excited.

You can order buy plates online without all the nonsense of sending forms and log books etc. Many of us have used platesforcars. As soon as your retention certificate comes you can transfer the new number to your vehicle on the DVLA site, notify your insurance and you're good to go.

You don't need to wait for the new logbook and you won't get a new MOT certificate. You only have to wait for the log book in your name if you've just bought the vehicle.

Drop many subtle (a a few not so subtle) hints at SWMBO about possible Xmas presents!!!
Already done that, and done not so subtle ones too. WhatsApp the pics to SWMBO lol

Back