Roamer LiFePO4 Gen4 230Ah Seatbase battery -- "How I Done It" --

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
Roamer LiFePO4 Gen4 230Ah Seatbase battery -- "How I Done It" --

++++++
Well, weve known about this New battery for a while now. but had to keep it under wraps,

but its finally here, :)

and its a game charger !!

Brand New Improved BMS Hardware, with BT & New APP (new APP out soon)
Active 2A cell balancer to keep the cells in check and stop drift,
3600w of power, thats 300A continuous,
230Ah @ 12.8v - 2944Wh,
Low Temp Charge Protection,
Low Voltage Cell protection,
built in Pre-Charge circuit,
Mechanical Sleep Button,
10year warranty,

and the best bit, (the game changer). . . Victron GX integration. - On Board, no external shunt needed, just connect it to the GX with the CANbus link cable (available separately if needed £20)

now only £855 with the T6Forum discount
- Roamer - Premium LiFePO4 Leisure Batteries for off grid

++++++

230SEATBASE4​

12V 230Ah LiFePO4
The bar has been raised yet again. Say hello to our 4th generation Roamer 230SEATBASE4.
Grade A+ matched cells provide 230Ah of usable capacity while a high power Battery Management System (BMS) with Active Balancing allows up to 3600W of continuous power.
all in a custom case that fits neatly under a campervan swivel seat.
For Plug-and-Play integration with Victron GX monitoring, add the CANbus-link cable. Multiple battery orders will receive a Battery-link cable for free.

1722856180072.png

+++

1722856628216.png

+++
1722856674917.png

+++

A front row seat to uninterrupted adventure​

The 230SEATBASE4 is the newest version of our original low-profile LiFePO4 battery - designed for installation under a campervan swivel seat. We’ve used the same A+ grade matched cells and high-power BMS as our flagship 460 SMART4, allowing us to fit massive amounts of capacity into a case that is actually smaller than the previous model. With a continuous charge/discharge rate of 300A, you can power any domestic appliance up to 3600W via an inverter.
The upgraded BMS actively balances all internal cells, and also supports installation of multiple 230SEATBASE4 batteries in series or parallel - with auto balancing for parallel connected batteries. It provides a complete range of protections including low temperature charging.

+++

Built by adventurers with a genuine passion for van life​

The Roamer 230SEATBASE4 uses the very best Grade A+ matched cells and comes assembled with precision-engineered brackets, double-bolted cell connections, flexible copper busbars and an IP65 waterproof case.
Maintaining excellent balance throughout its 15 year life expectancy, your Roamer will deliver stable, high power with every cycle. Our additional factory and warehouse testing processes ensure the highest possible quality and because we believe in our product, we back everything with a 10 year warranty.
To ensure maximum lifespan, every 230SEATBASE4 comes with a state-of-the-art internal Battery Management System (BMS) with Active Balancing - developed specifically for Roamer to support high power off-grid living.

+++

Simple setup​

Comprehensive power​

Your adventure starts with your setup. And with Roamer, it’s quick and easy. Simply choose your battery location, attach the cables, configure your chargers, and download our Roamer BMS app for real-time monitoring. Uninterrupted power = uninterrupted adventure.
We understand the prospect can be quite overwhelming so if you'd like some support, we offer an off grid electrical system design service. You will spend time with one of our experts who will give you all the tools and advice you need to install your own electrical system, even if you've got no idea where to start. From choosing chargers to cable sizing and configuring settings, we've got you covered.

+++

Safety First​

Here at Roamer, we take safety extremely seriously and strive to make the safest LiFePO4 batteries possible. It is no secret that Lithium can be dangerous and whilst LiFePo4 is without doubt, the safest option, it is still not without risk. And that’s why we go above and beyond on both compulsory and voluntary extensive safety tests and processes. We choose to test every single battery before it leaves the factory by cycling to 100% and 0% and applying a high charge and discharge load to identify potentially faulty cells and connections, test BMS performance and verify cell balance at the top and bottom of the voltage-charge cycle. Our batteries use only traceable branded cells from reputable manufacturers with lab test reports to verify battery safety as part of the EN 62619 certification. Finally, our product and fulfilment services also meet the courier requirements to ship Dangerous Goods under the UN3480 guidelines and have CE, UKCA, RED and RoHS certifications. Find out more about the steps we have taken to ensure maximum safety here.
SAFETY INFORMATION

+++

Less wondering​

More wandering​

Know your power with the all-new Roamer BMS App - the ultimate wingman for uninterrupted adventure. It’s easy to use, connects via Bluetooth, and lets you track and monitor the status of your battery from the comfort of your van, boat, or home. Real-time feedback at your fingertips. (Brand New App out soon)

1722856777746.png

+++
1722856725840.png

+++
1722856832478.png

+++

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CAB
data sheet and user Manual attached.

+++
1722859383725.png1722859392596.png1722859414897.png1722859425696.png1722859437626.png1722859445538.png1722859456512.png1722859464266.png1722859479297.png

+++

1722859456540.png

Attachments

• Roamer_230Seatbase4_Datasheet.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Online_Roamer_SMART_4_User_Manual.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
so thats what they say. . . .

no lets look at my one.

1722859781554.png

packaging of the battery for protection is very good as always. . .

these batterys are heavy - so you need a good box,

1722859821975.png

in the top section, you get a set of bolts and some goodies. . .

1722859882549.png

we also have the Victron GX CAN cable, which we will use to connect the battery to the Victron Cerbo GX directly,. . .

doing away with the need of a separate Victron shunt,
making a simpler and cheaper installation.

1722860013743.png

the battery itself follows the previous seatbase design of the Gen2 and Gen3 battery's,

handles on the side, terminals on the top front.

this time we also have a ON/OFF push switch next to the POS terminal - a very nice addition.

1722860094992.png1722860107966.png

we also have the 5 & Pin sockets for the link cables.

the 8Pin is for data-link for multiple batteries,

and the 5Pin is for the Victron CAN bus link.

1722860308003.png
1722860296904.png

getting the battery ready. . . you can see 9.8v on the terminal with the battery OFF in Sleep mode.

1722860370698.png

pressing the Power button brings the unit to life,

showing nice Orange glow,

1722860421620.png

and 13.6v at the terminals. . .

1722860443495.png

very nice,

The Gen4 batterys have a brand new APP, which is going through final approval stages with Apple / Google play store etc,

so once approved we can check that out.

Pre-Charge circuit.

"Pre-charging your InverterInverters contain large internal capacitors which, when connected to a LiFePO4battery for the first time can draw a very high inrush current up to 3000A. This surgecurrent can damage a LiFePO4 battery BMS and other connected equipment andis also potentially dangerous.

The solution is to pre-charge the capacitors in the inverter. We recommend that any inverter larger than 1500VA should be pre-chargedon first connection.

This also applies if the battery has been isolated from the inverterfor prolonged periods of time.Pre-charging involves slowing down the inrush current, thereby filling the capacitorswith charge in a steady and controlled way.

The SMART4 range of batteries have a pre-charge circuit built in, this is activated when the battery is turned on, for up to the first 10 seconds. In order to prevent a case where pre-charge is not carried out, neverconnect a SMART4 battery to your system in the powered-on state.

Instead, poweroff the battery via the switch on the top cover, connect the cables (if not already connected) and then turn on your isolator. Only at this point, should the SMART4battery be powered-on."

Charging:

• Bulk/Absorption/Boost/Target Voltage: 14.4V
• Float/Storage Voltage: Disabled or 13.5/13.2V

• Absorption Time: Disabled or up to 1 hour
• Equalisation: Disabled or set equal to bulk charge voltage, with duration of 0.
• Temperature Compensation: Disabled

"The ideal charge profile for your battery involves bulk charging at a constant current up to a target voltage of 14.4V and then stopping. The active balancer in your Roamer battery means an absorption or float stage is not required although we recommend a short absorption period (up to 1 hour) if this cannot be disabled."

"You should ideally have at least one charger in your system that is able to ‘wake up’a lithium battery in low voltage protection mode. Many lead acid (and even some lithium-ion) chargers cannot detect the battery in this instance and will not send a charge. Roamer SMART4 batteries have an emergency function if you get stuck inthis situation without a suitable charger, see the troubleshooting section for details."

Low temperature charging:

"LiFePO4 batteries should not be fast charged at temperatures below 0°C as this can permanently damage the cells.

Roamer batteries therefore include a low temperature charge protection function in the BMS which will prevent you charging once the internal battery temperature reaches this point.

This protection will remain in place until the temperature rises back above 5°C.

Due to the size and bulk of the battery cells, it can take several hours for the internal temperature to match the ambient temperature, and for all cell temperatures to equalise."

+++

this is for charging only. - you can DISCHARGE the battery down to -20.0c !!

+++

Victron GX Integration:

A) Ensure you have plugged into a BMS-Can port, and that the CAN Terminator is also fitted in the adjacent port on the GX device.
If you have a Cerbo GX MK2, Cerbo-S GXor Ekrano GX, you will need to change the VE.CAN Port function:

1. Go to settings on the GX Device
2. Scroll down to Services and select it
3. Select VE.CAN Port
4. Select CAN-bus Profile
5. Select CAN-bus BMS LV (500 kbit/s)

If your battery still doesn’t show up, you might need to select the battery as the“Battery Monitor”:

1. Go to settings on the GX Device
2. Scroll down to System Setup and select it
3. Select Battery Monitor4. Select the Roamer Battery

Thanks Lee. We’ve just added some extra support articles on the website at www.roamer.com/pages/support including guides on installing, charging and storing also introduced a new knowledgebase with setup guides for the most common chargers, shunts etc which we’ll be adding to over the coming weeks and months.

The app is almost ready, last bit of ping pong with the developers. Should be a week till final version is ready and another week before it appears on App Store. If anyone wants to try the beta app for Android now however, they can email us and we’ll send a link to the apk file.

Oh and we’ve just launched the summer sale too so the 230SEATBASE4 is now just £759 using the T6F discount code

I’ve got one of these now sat on my dining table. I don’t currently have a battery monitor and display. I had intended to get one but is it worth it with one of these? It’s got a BMS system and apparently an app incoming. The current one isn’t compatible. I was gonna get the renology display with the shunt, 50quid so not bad but an I just wasting my money?

I’ve got one of these now sat on my dining table. I don’t currently have a battery monitor and display. I had intended to get one but is it worth it with one of these? It’s got a BMS system and apparently an app incoming. The current one isn’t compatible. I was gonna get the renology display with the shunt, 50quid so not bad but an I just wasting my money?
Depends what you want in terms of monitoring.

The base level is just the battery and the Bluetooth app. Downsides to this are that you need to fire up the app on your phone if you want to quickly check the state of charge. And you need to be in, or standing next to the van to do this.

The next level up is a shunt, with a basic display, like the BMV-712. Gives simple information without the need to look on your phone. You can have the display in your van so you can quickly check the levels.

Then, the boss level monitoring, is the Cerbo GX.
This allows monitoring (with an internet connection in the van) from anywhere in the world via the app or web portal, you can change the settings on any of your linked Victron devices as if you were stood next to them, from anywhere in the world, and you can add an optional 5" or 7" touch screen colour display which gives all the Info you'd ever need about your system. You can also add temperature sensors, GPS sensors, tank level sensors, etc etc.

Thanks Lee. We’ve just added some extra support articles on the website at www.roamer.com/pages/support including guides on installing, charging and storing also introduced a new knowledgebase with setup guides for the most common chargers, shunts etc which we’ll be adding to over the coming weeks and months.

The app is almost ready, last bit of ping pong with the developers. Should be a week till final version is ready and another week before it appears on App Store. If anyone wants to try the beta app for Android now however, they can email us and we’ll send a link to the apk file.

Oh and we’ve just launched the summer sale too so the 230SEATBASE4 is now just £759 using the T6F discount code
How long is the Victron GX CAN cable?
Im thinking that if you put this battery under the front passenger seat there wont be enough room for all the other bits and bobs so might need to run the lead to a Cerbo at the back of the van.

Depends what you want in terms of monitoring.

The base level is just the battery and the Bluetooth app. Downsides to this are that you need to fire up the app on your phone if you want to quickly check the state of charge. And you need to be in, or standing next to the van to do this.

The next level up is a shunt, with a basic display, like the BMV-712. Gives simple information without the need to look on your phone. You can have the display in your van so you can quickly check the levels.

Then, the boss level monitoring, is the Cerbo GX.
This allows monitoring (with an internet connection in the van) from anywhere in the world via the app or web portal, you can change the settings on any of your linked Victron devices as if you were stood next to them, from anywhere in the world, and you can add an optional 5" or 7" touch screen colour display which gives all the Info you'd ever need about your system. You can also add temperature sensors, GPS sensors, tank level sensors, etc etc.
Legend, ta. That’s a great summary.

Perfect summary that. I’d only add that we have this working via Bluetooth to ESPhome / Raspberry Pi and Savvyvans and also working on canbus compatibility with other screens. So lots of DIY options now and more plug and play solutions coming soon

Perfect summary that. I’d only add that we have this working via Bluetooth to ESPhome / Raspberry Pi and Savvyvans and also working on canbus compatibility with other screens. So lots of DIY options now and more plug and play solutions coming soon
What have you just done! I’d never even heard of savvy vans and only just got out of rehab for a decade of arduino addiction. I should not have a googled it. Better call my sponsor quick

Actually, I have another question on this. I have a victron mains charger but it’s only 15amp. It’s lithium compatible but I assume it’s not really got the power to charge this in any meaningful timeframe? It’ll have to do for now but should be I looking for a 50amp one?

Actually, I have another question on this. I have a victron mains charger but it’s only 15amp. It’s lithium compatible but I assume it’s not really got the power to charge this in any meaningful timeframe? It’ll have to do for now but should be I looking for a 50amp one?
15a is fine, it'll just take longer to charge - but if you're on EHU then you'll be connected 24hrs a day. It's like solar - it might only be 20a max but type getting that all day long. Hence, 700Wh from solar (60Ah roughly) is ready to get from a solar panel. 15a for 15hrs is enough for a full 230Ah charge. You're doing well if you're using that much power in a day!!

Tbh, if you have a 230Ah LiFePO4 and a good sized solar panel, unless you're using 1000w 240v inverter devices a lot, you probably won't need EHU.

I don’t currently have solar and to be honest 230Ah lithium will likely last me any normal trip I do with no charging. I don’t have an inverter so basically my draw is minimal. Fridge, lights, heater, phone charging. Usual stuff. This will be to charge it at home before trips. If my missus is with me we’d be on hook up at some campsite that costs the same as an airbnb, and she’d a hair dryer, straighteners, a kettle and an electric blanket…

I do intend to fit a solar panel at some point. The cable is already there from when I got it converted. Just need to actually fit a panel.

Back