Roamer LiFePO4 Gen2 230Ah Seatbase battery -- "How I Done It" --

@Soundz

The Fuse block is my own additional unit. The DC-DC charger feeds this. The leisure battery is connected too... This is where I take all my leisure battery loads from.( It's not the OEM SB fuse box)

Yes slight cell imbalance is totally normal, that is what the BMS is designed to deal with... amongst other things.

I believe the red and green cells denote the highest cell and lowest cell voltages.... The delta is the difference between the two..... With the other two cells being in the middle.

@Dellmassive
thank you.............think i'm going along the lines of what Steve suggested in the "other Roamer SB thread............. Ie this :

Don't think I have an OEM SB fusebox in my old T5 so the +ve bus will hold mains batt charger, B2B 12 12 30, 16mm2 60A fuse.......... PV 150W panel running 75/15 MPPT 30A fuse 4mm cable, inverter 12 1200 150A fuse 40mm cable an feed to 12way DC fusebox 25mm2 cable 100A fuse....main fuse ( mega) 200A.again 40mm2cable

Question....................this will be after the mains batt isolator.so do I need another 200A fuse BEFORE the isolator to protect cable run betwixt batt and positive bus...can I use sommit like this :

Cable runs are small from batt terminal to pos bus but I'd rather protect every cable run than not especially where there are connection points....IE the isolator ( 300A)

Off topic.....Dell I kinda want to try and give a bit back to the forum.not just take ( IE bother you with my questions)...it ain't me.....where would I post an off the wall wooden interior T5..(..NOT T6)!! build thread a very very slow 'un at that ?

Ta muchy

stu

@Soundz

The very first thing connected to a battery should be a main fuse.... switches and fuse boxes can be down stream from that.

As for a build thread...

Post a new thread here....

Just mention in your first post that your van is a T5 and go from there...... Most of the stuff your planning will transfer over to the T6 anyway.

@Dellmassive........irony ;) i actually came here because the latest incarnate of the roamer Sb has landed and corse I thought the folks here might like some piccies.... as a break from trying to find a blue sea fuse holder an block...........then saw my post above..........:D

So before the pics.which incidentally are already posted elsewhere here on my " Awkward( read madness life's meant to be fun) build thread.......anyone know if I can fit a cube fuse to Roamer and second will it work with Roamer's terminal cover???????????????????????????

Second new batt....................note well....terminals are where they are,not reversed image or such like........Second thought is although the handles are super swanky an all,they are not terrible useful if one has used every availble bit of space in your Sb for leccy gizmo's......Ha ours will be lowered in on some gorgeous purple straps a couple of lovely chippies gave me.but I digress:rolleyes:

52234518944_de6bc0801a_o.jpg_S2I2456 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

52234515764_5dc95527bb_o.jpg_S2I2465 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

52234720910_795156abe6_o.jpg_S2I2467 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Notes..no longer a QR code on top now comes with a quality control sheet showing individual cells etc etc

Right i'm off the exploit the fine art of cube fuse wrangling..:rofl:.....just wanted to add a little bit to bring members up to date on Dell's wonderful thread
take care ya'll

stu

Should be a QR code on it sorry Stu! I’ll speak to guys in a warehouse but in meantime here’s the link it takes you to

Roamer Quick Start Guide

The quality control sheet is a new addition, we now put all batteries through a strict set of tests for high loads, top and bottom balance. Cells are grade A+ (fully matched) anyway so they should be bang on but if there’s any issues these get picked up before shipping. Any slight cell drift during storage will balance out with normal use

Just remove the terminal cover, it’s there to prevent a short from touching the seatbase metal but if you use a Blue Sea terminal block then this should come with a rubber flappy cover anyway.

Should be a QR code on it sorry Stu! I’ll speak to guys in a warehouse but in meantime here’s the link it takes you to

Roamer Quick Start Guide

The quality control sheet is a new addition, we now put all batteries through a strict set of tests for high loads, top and bottom balance. Cells are grade A+ (fully matched) anyway so they should be bang on but if there’s any issues these get picked up before shipping. Any slight cell drift during storage will balance out with normal use

Just remove the terminal cover, it’s there to prevent a short from touching the seatbase metal but if you use a Blue Sea terminal block then this should come with a rubber flappy cover anyway.

Ahh ok....Steve no need for apologies A link is good enough for me :thumbsup: .....Yes BS5191 does come with a cover it seems...I just like your terminal cover design ......it offers more protection. to my humble eyes.........but damned if I can find dimension data for the blue sea............so can't yet work out if it fits or I can work with.

Steve what pukert exponent do you recommend for your battery please...........I understand LiFePO4 is close to one.but I can't help be curious

thank you

Ahh ok....Steve no need for apologies A link is good enough for me :thumbsup: .....Yes BS5191 does come with a cover it seems...I just like your terminal cover design ......it offers more protection. to my humble eyes.........but damned if I can find dimension data for the blue sea............so can't yet work out if it fits or I can work with.

Steve what pukert exponent do you recommend for your battery please...........I understand LiFePO4 is close to one.but I can't help be curious

thank you
ADC54636-6607-40F8-8EAD-742F41C8DF10.jpeg

for others that are wondering what it is . . . . .

CUBE fuse and block . . . .

they bolt onto the battery post. - a very compact fuse option.

others are MIDI and MEGA fuses and holders

1658815505402.png

1658815558530.png

1658815574083.png

1658815602688.png

@RoamerBatteries ...Steve brilliant thank you very much in deed that will be a huge help..... ha ha so excited can't believe we own the battery now finally.so chuffed

@ Samro....bless ya Sam again huge thanks.......incidentally We have a 200version of what Dell linked from the same site ( they are local we try to support local folks businesses if we possibly can), and a spare fuse. So in a couple of days hopefully, I'll be able to work in the physical form......that said really appreciate the above Sam.thank you...........I've been bitten a few times Sam by diagrams/ measurements thereof not being accurate...I've been downright painstaking in my build re mills.so the physicality of sommit is nice for me personally .I can work with something in my hand

The cube seems like a really neat solution, extremely compact ( incredibly applicable to a SB design) and being on the +ve terminal one has no unprotected cable what so ever..............so as a layman it's been on my radar a goodly while it just seems so logical........I bought a mega maybe lack of confidence.but it's big and bulky uses a silly amount of space and I can't for the life of me find a way to mount it

'Corse as a laymen trying to get one's head around everything..................... ya then ask why isn't anyone else doing that? What am I missing?...There must be something I'm missing? There is something isn't there so ya buy a mega because there is so much self doubt

SB leccy is fraught with so many questions..one tries to do it cause the whole T5 T6 camper van malarky is a conundrum of working up a teeny tiny space into a viable functioning efficient bus... so one goes there,but damn trouble shooting all this will be taxing !!

Ha enough deep stuff:D

Ta muchly for the 'elp lads

Update.Dell's linked site delivered to us promtly............ pleased with service :thumbsup:

@RoamerBatteries ..........Steve the above page is from a victron device? If so which? ( Guessing MPPT?,but not having anything active yet bar the orion am unsure). Could you do the same battery settings page for an orion Tr smart 12 12 30...........75/15 MPPT if my guess is wrong and IP 22 20A charger?

Many thanks

Update.Dell's linked site delivered to us promtly............ pleased with service :thumbsup:

@RoamerBatteries ..........Steve the above page is from a victron device? If so which? ( Guessing MPPT?,but not having anything active yet bar the orion am unsure). Could you do the same battery settings page for an orion Tr smart 12 12 30...........75/15 MPPT if my guess is wrong and IP 22 20A charger?

Many thanks
It’s from a Victron smartshunt/BMV

For the chargers you just need to change the battery preset to lithium (LiFePO4). The IP22 has a Li-Ion profile on main page, ignore this and go into advanced settings to choose the LiFePO4 mode.

It’s from a Victron smartshunt/BMV

For the chargers you just need to change the battery preset to lithium (LiFePO4). The IP22 has a Li-Ion profile on main page, ignore this and go into advanced settings to choose the LiFePO4 mode.
is it as simple as that Steve...for the orion and MPPT I only adjust from factory preset to Li Fe PO4.nowt else?

My battery arrived last week, am now mulling over how I'm going to mount it under the seat. Has anyone else installed theirs yet and how did you do it?

My battery arrived last week, am now mulling over how I'm going to mount it under the seat. Has anyone else installed theirs yet and how did you do it?
Welcome Matty..mate ii'm closing on it.but not really applicable to you as this is a T5 base.......but maybe there's some ideas for you as it's the same size as your battery..........I'd guess by mount you mean secure in place?

52272539341_071982e4ea_o.jpg_S2I2521 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply @Soundz so far I put the battery in place just to see what it's like and the floor is uneven and there is a bolt right in the middle sticking up from the floor. This makes me not want to just place it on the floor, but lift it up somehow. I guess I have two things to figure out:
1. A base to put it on
2. how to secure it down to stop it moving.

I've seen the trays for the usual size battery like this one Volkswagen (VW) T5 T6 Leisure Battery Tray / Holder and have wondered if I could butcher that for this. I like the idea that it uses the seat bolts to hold it all down.

I think holding it down will be fairly simple; some kind of bar across the top with threaded rod secured below. So just what to sit it on is the issue.

I'll probably just keep pondering for a while until I figure something out or someone comes up with a much better idea than I would have thought of!

Matty I'm stu (and slightly bonkers forgive me that)....right buddy you are new so have a dig for the seat base electrics thread.forgive me I'm rushing I think its a how WE done it in Del's threads "How I done it" threads in this section ....if you can't find it I'll dig for you later. ........... but look at those anyway they are a mine of info Fair play to Dell. ( massive)

I have the same bolt Matt, on a T5.it's an earth bolt.....i simply cut it off....they are situated all over the van cab floor I think covered the cut with something called Zinga it's a cold gavanising product

I have actually packed the rear of the battery on the underside to lift it with some really dense foam just to lift it a tad..........also kept rubber matt preddy much intact ..also I have sound deadened the cab floor and partially insulated it.....I put a degree of thought into that second layer the insulation....basically raising areas of the floor around where I knew..ha ha or thought I knew, I would run cables later on

Mate note the rubber channel i've glued with a structural adhesive all around the sharp SB edges as an aside I think this might be a real asset to you as it was me

I made a dummy battery out of wood slightly oversize,2 reasons one so I could progress with my build in a pretty precise way before the battery landed and have a physical thing to work around,2nd 'cause I'm lazy and couldn't be doing with lifting batt in and out multiple times.too much like hard work ;)

I''ve cobbled up a bit of left over oak work top which holds my isolator Matt ha ok I had to have a walnut ring in there too 'cause I'm me.:D..my planned design to really secure batt in place is goiing to involve that OWT ^ it won't really be of help to you though and also the T5 and 6seat bases may differ size wise................so I can only help in a liimited way

Cool link Matt I kinda like making stuff.well put it this way I've always needed to make stuff to save money I didn't have to spend anyway I've taken the same approach with my ickle camper build

Not as much help as I'd liike.................but it's a start for ya hey mate.?.....all the luck in the world buddy

stu

Back