Hi Guys, im about to buy the Tomahawk Kato wheels, with either Falken or BF Goodrich tyres, I can't decide whether to go with 245/65/17 or 235/65/17, I think I read in one of the forums that some have had issue with rubbing on full steering lock, I have standard suspension, don't plan to upgrade for a while if I do at all. Can anyone give me any experience, the 235 in BF Goodrich appear to be difficult to get at the moment, so im going more towards the 245. Any experience and advice appreciated?

Hi Guys, im about to buy the Tomahawk Kato wheels, with either Falken or BF Goodrich tyres, I can't decide whether to go with 245/65/17 or 235/65/17, I think I read in one of the forums that some have had issue with rubbing on full steering lock, I have standard suspension, don't plan to upgrade for a while if I do at all. Can anyone give me any experience, the 235 in BF Goodrich appear to be difficult to get at the moment, so im going more towards the 245. Any experience and advice appreciated?
Hi. I had 245/65/17 and lowered 40mm (vw springs) and didn’t experience any problems. Gone up in the world now and love it.

I have a rear spoiler on my Van. Can’t decide if that’s going to look silly if I go swamper?

I love the look and would go large with a 25mm lift kit.

Already got the tyres :)

View attachment 164981

Thinking black textured front end, black textured rear end.
I just stumbled upon one of your old posts and this photo of a lovely van; its the very look I'm after. Can I please ask what wheel, tyre and suspension set up is being run here? I'm currently down 60mm and wonder how far I'd be off from this setup - thank you.

Can anyone offer feedback please? I like the swamper look as much as I like the sportline look. My van has been sportlined (it's a highline) but it looks like the mrs is worried about curbing the pristine 20's when she drives it, so am thinking I'll get some high tyre walls... the van is lowered... not sure what to do. Will a set of swampers fill the arches too much and rub? Not sure how adjustable the (cheap) coil overs are either

20240610_155130.jpg

Can anyone offer feedback please? I like the swamper look as much as I like the sportline look. My van has been sportlined (it's a highline) but it looks like the mrs is worried about curbing the pristine 20's when she drives it, so am thinking I'll get some high tyre walls... the van is lowered... not sure what to do. Will a set of swampers fill the arches too much and rub? Not sure how adjustable the (cheap) coil overs are either

View attachment 246152
I’d be giving the wife a few extra driving lessons in it

View attachment 246152
Is that a tape measure to tell how much the taxi to the kerb is going to cost? :rofl:

Best way to start use to measure from the wheel centre to the top of the arch, front and back, that'll tell you/us how much it's been lowered by.

235/65R17 tyres and wheels are good down to 50 or 60mm drop, I believe. So there's plenty of scope.

Well that's my next oddment or peculiarity. The height seems to vary depending on where parked to the extent I can't figure out how dropped she is. See photo.

Yeah I put tape measure down to ensure i took a photo of each wheel the same distance as a vague comparison but it'snot very clear... i dunno why. I looked a plank no doubt hehe

The photo below is the measurement frombthe wheel arch to the bottom lip of the centre cap

20240615_145633.jpg20240610_155243.jpg

Last edited:
Well that's my next oddment or peculiarity. The height seems to vary depending on where parked to the extent I can't figure out how dropped she is. See photo.

Yeah I put tape measure down to ensure i took a photo of each wheel the same distance as a vague comparison but it'snot very clear... i dunno why. I looked a p***k no doubt hehe

The photo below is the measurement frombthe wheel arch to the bottom lip of the centre cap

View attachment 246179View attachment 246177
I reckon you'll be perfectly fine with 235/65R17 - if your tyres are 275/40R20 then they're only 8mm smaller than 235/65R17's. 4mm arch gap loss and 4mm ride height gain.

Take off 20mm from your measurements as it's to the centre of the wheel, but that looks to be around 50 or 60mm down from std at the front.

This thread will be of interest!

Here's my Swamper. Due to take delivery on the 30th and time has slowed to a crawl.

View attachment 256038

The rims are Wolfrace Outland's in 16" flavour, and the fat sidewall and Cooper AT tyres soak up the horrible British roads beautifully.

It has the arch trims and black chrome side bars, and I already have a set of mudflaps ready to go on when it arrives on Friday.

I've some ideas to butch it up a bit, including a lift, snorkel, grille spots and side mouldings, but I'll live with it a few months before deciding what would suit it best.

Last edited:
Very nice, say good bye to your spare cash!! :rofl:

I suppose I should really post mine, now that it's almost complete!
PXL_20240803_183741409~3.jpg

I'm tempted by some arch covers, and some yellow tint for the fog lights, and I'm unsure what to do with the chrome side bars and side trim.

At present, it's sort of 'posh' swamper - less matt black plastic, more shiny and a bit of chrome :rofl:

Very nice, say good bye to your spare cash!! :rofl:

I suppose I should really post mine, now that it's almost complete!

I'm tempted by some arch covers, and some yellow tint for the fog lights, and I'm unsure what to do with the chrome side bars and side trim.

At present, it's sort of 'posh' swamper - less matt black plastic, more shiny and a bit of chrome :rofl:
I didn't fancy chrome side bars, so went for a more useful solution....... rocksliders

Rocksliders.jpg

Ouch, bet they weren't cheap! TBH if I'm bottoming the van out over some rocks I've taken a very wrong turn!
You're right, not cheap, but I do a fair bit of soft-roading along Scottish forests and tracks. Had these fitted, because I'm the guy that would turn in to a hidden rock or tree stump. Also had Almont sump, fuel & Adblu tanks and rear diff guards fitted. Really came in to their own on Orkney, Arran and Mull

You're right, not cheap, but I do a fair bit of soft-roading along Scottish forests and tracks. Had these fitted, because I'm the guy that would turn in to a hidden rock or tree stump. Also had Almont sump, fuel & Adblu tanks and rear diff guards fitted. Really came in to their own on Orkney, Arran
My next purchase will be the aluminium engine plate, my thinking was, if I hear a load crunching , scraping noise from the front plate , hopefully I’ll be going slow enough to back out before anything else under the van takes a hit,
My van is getting very heavy now and these plates are not cheap, next time your up in the lakes, get in touch, if you fancy a drive out along the old coach road

My next purchase will be the aluminium engine plate, my thinking was, if I hear a load crunching , scraping noise from the front plate , hopefully I’ll be going slow enough to back out before anything else under the van takes a hit,
My van is getting very heavy now and these plates are not cheap, next time your up in the lakes, get in touch, if you fancy a drive out along the old coach road
It's a date! :D

Back