So what does everyone do for a living?

I'm not being political, but it's easy to make policy when you've only ever driven a desk.
Politicians of all stripes have no idea.
I see the arsehole Sir Robert Devereux who put the age of retirement up to 67 has just retired.
At 61.
With a lump sum of £245k in his hand and £85k a year.
After sitting on his arse pushing a pen all his days.
When grafters like me are broken at 50 with no pension.
Yeh we can just work until we drop.
Thanks mate.
Currently waiting on operations on my arms after operations on knees, neck and back twice. My hands are also riddled with arthritis.
I’m sure another 17 years graft will be a breeze.

Reading all the above I concluded many moons ago that the vision you have as a child rarely becomes the outcome . Only age and maturity will determine how things end up. Not many people have perfect world have - life is a state of mind and single ticket with no return.
I guess everyone here has very little to really worry about. After all if choosing the next modification to your van is the only consideration then we are all so very fortunate. No I didn’t study philosophy. One life … et al

Be better suited as a scarecrow these days mate :slow rofl:
You've Def had a hard paper round for sure! Does put a lot of things into perspective. My mum being hit with pancreatic cancer at 62... Diagnosed in Jan and away in June was the latest in a long run! That was 2 years ago. Who knows what's round the corner! At least I can enjoy a beer now without being moaned at! Cheers :thumbsup:

You've Def had a hard paper round for sure! Does put a lot of things into perspective. My mum being hit with pancreatic cancer at 62... Diagnosed in Jan and away in June was the latest in a long run! That was 2 years ago. Who knows what's round the corner! At least I can enjoy a beer now without being moaned at! Cheers :thumbsup:
I feel your pain.
I’ve buried 3 close family members and 6 pals in the last 2 years.
A load of my mates dropping in their 50’s.
Youngest was 27. Gall bladder cancer.

I’m so sympathetic to all those who have lost loved ones. My partner died aged 47 of cancer, now 14 years ago I never stop thinking of her. At my age now 69 I make the most of everything. Still motor racing and loving my life thinking I’m a young man - long may it be

Since leaving school in 1965, I did 5 years down the pit, then 6 years on gas conversion when the country went over to natural gas from coal gas, I then went into plumbing and heating for a number of firms then did 18 years self employed plumber and heating engineer.Then I did 3 years for a private maintenance company. Then my final 9 years I worked for a housing association as a service engineer and retiring at 63 after 48 years of hard graft.
I’m now 74 I have had 3 rotator cuff operations, 2 operations on my elbows, vibration white finger, wet macular degeneration of my left eye, gout, all within the last 20 years, and recently broke 3 bones in my ankle and other than that I’m quite fit lol.
My grand parents and parents used to say hard work never hurt anyone.
I still love my motorbikes and hopefully in the next couple of weeks I’ll be back in the saddle.
John.

Last edited:
Since leaving school in 1965, I did 5 years down the pit, then 6 years on gas conversion when the country went over to natural gas from coal gas, I then went into plumbing and heating for a number of firms then did 18 years self employed plumber and heating engineer.Then I did 3 years for a private maintenance company. Then my final 9 years I worked for a housing association as a service engineer and retiring at 63 after 48 years of hard graft.
I’m now 74 I have had 3 rotator cuff operations, 2 operations on my elbows, vibration white finger, wet macular degeneration of my left eye, gout, all within the last 20 years, and recently broke 3 bones in my ankle and other than that I’m quite fit.
My grand parents and parents used to say hard work never hurt anyone.
I still love my motorbikes and hopefully in the next couple of weeks I’ll be back in the saddle.
John.
Wouldn't have fancied your paper round! Good on you @Rioja John

I’m so sympathetic to all those who have lost loved ones. My partner died aged 47 of cancer, now 14 years ago I never stop thinking of her. At my age now 69 I make the most of everything. Still motor racing and loving my life thinking I’m a young man - long may it be
My old boy is the same @RobertO2023 never been busier. Walking football. Walking rugby. Badminton. Hill walking. Babysitting. You name it he's doing it. Plenty propping up bar as well!

I’m 50 and a joiner. Been self employed for 20 years.
Earned good money built a lovely house but I’m completely broken now.
The list of things wrong with my body after nearly 35 years of hard graft is becoming endless.
It’s that bad I’m having look at alternative ways of earning a living as I simply can’t do it anymore.
Only another 17 years before I can retire.
Fancy borrowing my red light district mod for your camper? I'm sure some people will pay to see you wiggle once more

Lost my mother and two good mates (under 30) in the space of two years. Life is c*** but we make the most of it

I love that you are still motor racing. I’m only 38 but in my head I’m 21

Army, police, a bit of contracting/BG'ing, now retired from full time work.

I'm a musician, multi instrumentalist, do a bit of gigging, depping and the odd bit of session work. I get paid for it, but it's not really a job, more a self-financing hobby.

I write books. Nothing serious, just for fun, but it earns me a few hundred sheets every quarter via Amazon. Again, a hobby with a few shekels thrown in rather than a job.

Army, police, a bit of contracting/BG'ing, now retired from full time work.

I'm a musician, multi instrumentalist, do a bit of gigging, depping and the odd bit of session work. I get paid for it, but it's not really a job, more a self-financing hobby.

I write books. Nothing serious, just for fun, but it earns me a few hundred sheets every quarter via Amazon. Again, a hobby with a few shekels thrown in rather than a job.
You and @Drive Wayne could have a good ol chin wag about music!

Back