Solar Panel no controller

I’ll draw up a shopping list and run past the forum when ready to pull trigger! Need to sort DRL lamp holder first:)

So,

Shopping list-

-Crimping tool and crimps (is this what they are called?) connectors.

-Wire 3mm for AMT to DC DC

-Wire 10mm x 2 DC to DC

-Orion dc-dc

-amt ablemail

Somewhere was mentioned switch and fuse, what and where am I looking to have these?

And sequence…..

Drivers seat out.

Disconnect batteries (plural presumably)

Snip out SCR and wire in dc to dc

Wire in Ablemail

Seat back in

Crack a beer

Sounds so straightforward.

Presumably need to secure the dc to dc against inside of seat unit? Close to LB.

I already have the Victron solar controller and app, so presume they will all ‘talk’

can someone drop a link to whatever fuse and switch I would need please?

I am currently curating a basket at simplysplitcharge website (Ablemail/ wiring currently).

Bw

Chris

can someone drop a link to whatever fuse and switch I would need please?

I am currently curating a basket at simplysplitcharge website (Ablemail/ wiring currently).

Bw

Chris
Shopping list looks good. You don’t need switches but can be useful for managing the system and/or for maintenance. One in the cable between the Orion Pos Out and AMT Leisure Pos allows you to turn the AMT on/off - needs to be >3A capable.

You can also put one in the green plug of the Orion to allow you to turn it on/off. I find this useful as I don’t want the LB being charged every time I start the vehicle. To do this remove the tiny wire loop in the green plug and replace with a longer loop with a switch in the middle as shown in the Orion instructions. Same type of switch as the AMT will do. I used these linked below as they are mounted in a panel but similar ones are available for surface mount (Halfords):

Switch

Instal sequence is ok but follow the instructions for the Orion and AMT to the letter. You need to connect the Orion in the right order (SB first) and change settings before connecting up fully and inserting the green plug. The AMT is connected after and needs the settings changed (to setting 3 (smart alternator and lithium LB) IIRC).

Also, double check the fuses at the SB end of the cable to the Orion and the LB end to the Orion are the correct size (60a) as per the instructions. As you say, you must disconnect both batteries before you start!
Good luck.

Would this work for the two switches?

Why did you want a switch to stop leisure battery being charged when engine started?

Is it a midi fuse holder I would need?

DC06F17C-D450-4794-9F9B-DDE4D14410E5.pngAnd i see this pic, the AMT connects the two batteries together that’s right isn’t it. I am hopeful when I get seat off it will make sense. I’ll try and post some photos of current set up for clarity

Why did you want a switch to stop leisure battery being charged when engine started?

I'd get something similar to this:

You can probably mount them on the rear seat base cover, and the spade terminal on them should work fine with the set of assorted crimp connectors you'll end up buying.

The reason you may want to stop the Orion charging is if you had a point where you had a very low starter battery in the winter and wanted to be absolutely sure the minimal load was on it, or you may need to leave the ignition on for some other reason for a length of time.

They would be ok if you want to surface mount under the seat. Or the ones I linked if you want them accessible on the back of the seat base (20mm hole and push fit).

Lithium batteries are best stored at about 50% so between camping trips I prefer to leave it around there. However, I like to use the van between camping trips so the switch allows me to stop it recharging every time I use it. Not an issue with LA or AGM but if you are looking to go lifepo4 in the future you could fit one now if you won’t be using the LB on a regular basis.

Sorry, I have no direct experience with that but I don’t see why it would change things. As long as it has a feed from the SB and a feed to the LB then it’s no different. Just check cables and fuses are suitably sized. I can have a closer look at the pics this eve.

Sorry, I have no direct experience with that but I don’t see why it would change things. As long as it has a feed from the SB and a feed to the LB then it’s no different. Just check cables and fuses are suitably sized. I can have a closer look at the pics this eve.
Many thanks, really need to be sure before I start ‘f***ing’ stuff up!

Back